Extinct giant kangaroos tiptoed one leg at a time

A True Open Forum; Share/Discuss whatever you like
Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Extinct giant kangaroos tiptoed one leg at a time

Postby Edge Guerrero » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:54 pm

Fossil clues suggest refrigerator-sized sthenurines did not hop
BY SUSAN MILIUS 2:07PM, OCTOBER 15, 2014

NOT A HOPPER The extinct supersized kangaroo Sthenurus stirlingi probably tiptoed one hind leg at a time instead of hopping, says a new study.

The real hulks among extinct kangaroos probably didn’t hop. They tiptoed on one rear leg at a time, a new study says.

As recently as 30,000 years ago, the kangaroo genealogical tree had a now-extinct branch called Sthenurinae. Members of this subfamily ranged from small to whopper, with the largest weighing up to 240 kilograms. That’s a bit more than a typical full-sized fridge and far heavier than today’s biggest kangaroos, red males that bulk up to 90 kilograms.

An analysis of bones from 78 sthenurines of various sizes suggests the prehistoric big guys were bipedal walkers, says functional anatomist and paleontologist Christine Janis of Brown University in Providence, R.I. Among the clues: The giant roos’ bones suggest a body too heavy for frequent hopping, and their hips flared with plenty of room for attaching big gluteal muscles similar to those that help humans balance on one leg while stepping forward with the other.

When not hopping, today’s kangaroos walk on all fours and use their tails to help them swing their hind legs forward (SN Online: 7/3/14). The spines of the biggest sthenurines, however, look too stiff for that motion, Janis and colleagues say October 15 in PLOS ONE.

[i]THEN AND NOW A skeleton of the extinct kangaroo Sthenurus stirlingi (top) suggests its body was heavier and its spine less flexible than that of the modern eastern gray kangaroo (bottom).
C.M. JANIS ET AL/PLOS ONE 2014
[/i]

The sthenurines’ gait would not have been a Godzilla-like lumber though. Modern kangaroos hop on the end of their feet. Janis expects that the giant kangaroos likewise walked on tiptoe.

Source:https://www.sciencenews.org/article/extinct-giant-kangaroos-tiptoed-one-leg-time

- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:08 pm

There is something weird about how most land-earth creatures all have the same basic skeleton and internal design.

This is a mystery imo not yet solved.

Its like star-trek aliens; all different but also all pretty much the same

The top drawing is quite nice, it reminds me of something but I can't say what (a character)

Return to “Anarchy Zone”