Archaeologists make 'once-in-a-career' Iron-Age find

A True Open Forum; Share/Discuss whatever you like
Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Archaeologists make 'once-in-a-career' Iron-Age find

Postby Edge Guerrero » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:16 pm

By John Johnson

Parts of a different 1,800-year-old bronze chariot, seen, at an ancient Thracian tomb near the village of Karanovo, east of the Bulgarian capital Sofia, Friday, Nov. 21, 2008. (AP Photo)

Archaeologists digging around the site of an ancient community in England have made what one calls a "once-in-a-career discovery"—bronze fittings from a chariot dating back to the Iron Age, reports Livesciencehttp://www.livescience.com/48281-iron-age-chariot-discovered.html

The intricately designed pieces were crafted around the second or third century BC and seem to have been buried as part of some kind of religious ritual, perhaps in honor of the nobleman or warrior who would have owned such a chariot.

They had been enclosed in a box that was burned, researchers at the University of Leicester explain via Phys.org. The ritual also might have marked the end of a season or the dismantling of a home at the site in Leicester, known as the Burrough Hill Iron Age Hillfort.

The pieces included linchpins with three waving lines, a design that looks similar to the modern flag for the Isle of Man, a British dependency. "In east Yorkshire, there was a practice of chariot burial, but outside that area it is extremely rare to find one," one researcher tells the BBC.

It's not clear, though, whether an entire chariot was buried, or just some decorative parts. (Click to read about archaeologists who hope to unravel the tale of King Haroldhttp://www.newser.com/story/197145/team-seeks-to-discover-if-tale-of-king-harold-is-true.html.)

Source:http://www.foxnews.com/science/2014/10/15/archaeologists-make-once-in-career-iron-age-find/

- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:51 am

The author doesnt know much about chronology lol So is it 1800 years old or from 200-300 BC?

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:23 pm

Luigi wrote:The author doesnt know much about chronology lol So is it 1800 years old or from 200-300 BC?

- It's my fault, i've got a more complete source, bu for some reason i cound't copy and post here and instead of trying one better source i posted Fox news.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:10 pm

Nice painting

I hate how every time archaeologists find something they immediately paint some picture of how it was a religious ritual or some insight into their mythologies and beliefs.

They never come up with simple every day explanations, like maybe the dude just put the wheels there for some reason.

I have an idea for a vid where archaeologists in the year 6000 or something uncover a home from 2014 and start making religious deductions based on meaningless shit we have lying around, lol

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:57 pm

Masato wrote:Nice painting

I hate how every time archaeologists find something they immediately paint some picture of how it was a religious ritual or some insight into their mythologies and beliefs.

They never come up with simple every day explanations, like maybe the dude just put the wheels there for some reason.

I have an idea for a vid where archaeologists in the year 6000 or something uncover a home from 2014 and start making religious deductions based on meaningless shit we have lying around, lol

- How hollywood is gonna make a movie of mundane things like this? :D

Return to “Anarchy Zone”