Space plane: Mysterious US military plane returns to Earth

A True Open Forum; Share/Discuss whatever you like
Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Space plane: Mysterious US military plane returns to Earth

Postby Edge Guerrero » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:40 pm

An unmanned US plane on a top-secret, two-year mission to space has returned to Earth and landed in California.

The aircraft, resembling a miniature space shuttle and known as the Orbital Test Vehicle or X-37B, spent 674 days in orbit around the planet.

It was the unmanned plane's third space flight, but its mission has been shrouded in mystery.

A theory that it was taking a look at China's space lab has been downplayed by experts.

Air Force officials have only told US media the aircraft performs "risk reduction, experimentation and concept-of-operations development for reusable space vehicle technologies".

The X-37B programme, started in 1999 and is currently run by the Air Force's Rapid Capabilities Office.

The first plane flew in April 2010 and returned after eight months. The second launched in March 2011 and remained in space for 15 months.

The current aircraft - built by Boeing - uses solar panels for power in orbit, measures over 29ft (9m) long, has a wingspan of nearly 15ft and a weight of 11,000lbs (4,989 kg).

It looks like a mini space shuttle and can glide back down through the atmosphere to land on a runway, just like Nasa's re-usable manned spaceplane used to do before its retirement.

An infrared view of the spaceplane was released in 2012

X-37B - American military spaceplane

Mission: Described as a re-usable testbed for new sensors and other space technologies
Length: 9m (29ft); Wingspan: 4.5m (14ft); Height: 3m (9.5ft); Mass: 5t (11,000lb)
Origins: Started as a Nasa project in 1999 before being handed to the military in 2006
Cost: The budget line for the X-37B programme continues to be classified information

A fourth X-37B mission is currently scheduled for 2015

A fourth X-37B mission is said to be planned for launch from Cape Canaveral, Florida, in 2015.

Europe is to test its own automated space plane technology in the coming weeks.

The IXV vehicle will be launched into space atop a rocket from French Guiana and then make its way back through the atmosphere to splash down in the ocean.

BBC News science correspondent Jonathan Amos

The reality is that no-one really knows what this vehicle does. The only credible explanation I have seen is that it is testing technologies that could find their way on to future satellite missions.

If you consider how expensive a satellite mission is - several hundred million dollars - you'd like to be sure that any innovations are going to work straight out of the box.

By flying early prototypes on the X-37B, you can test these technologies so that when you put them on future satellite missions, you can be sure they will deliver.

Nasa recently agreed to give over work space formerly used to service the shuttles at the Kennedy Space Center to the X-37B programme, which tells us this is a long-term project for the Air Force. Whatever it is they are doing up there, they deem it to be high value.

line

Source:http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-29669205

Another source:http://www.nbcnews.com/science/space/mysterious-x-37b-space-plane-returns-earth-after-nearly-two-n226846

- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Daglord

Postby Daglord » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:12 am

awesome thread edge & that's a great theory as to its purpose. I didn't realize how small it was.

& great use of the woody pic. lol.

Daglord

Postby Daglord » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:21 am

here is a short vid I watched that takes a more conspiracy angle. its possible use for spying, sabotaging satellites, etc.

"modern warfare relies heavily on satellites. a first strike in future conflicts, will likely start in space."

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:30 pm

Don't you guys know anything.

Where else are they going to spend your money and not have to tell you shit about the aliens that are up there.

Sheesh
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:49 pm

Its where they stored all the back-up Obama clones.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:51 pm

Edge Guerrero wrote:

Why do you suppose these dudes are wearing those suits? does stuff come back from space all radioactive or infected?

(serious question - they are dressed more cautiously than Ebola workers... maybe this is normal I don't know)

Daglord

Postby Daglord » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:45 pm

Canuckster wrote:Don't you guys know anything.

Where else are they going to spend your money and not have to tell you shit about the aliens that are up there.

Sheesh

:lol: :D :) :shock:

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:16 pm

Daglord wrote: :lol: :D :) :shock:

:lol: :D :) :shock:

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:36 pm

Masato wrote:
Edge Guerrero wrote:

Why do you suppose these dudes are wearing those suits? does stuff come back from space all radioactive or infected?

(serious question - they are dressed more cautiously than Ebola workers... maybe this is normal I don't know)

- Yes, they come back radioative(and you don't become the Hulk or the Thing:(, and there's a plus:
The guys that wear those suit's get all the girls! :mrgreen:

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:37 pm

Canuckster wrote:Don't you guys know anything.

Sheesh

- You're a rebel Man in black?

Return to “Anarchy Zone”