Henry Makow references my neighbor totoro

A True Open Forum; Share/Discuss whatever you like
Canuckster

Henry Makow references my neighbor totoro

Postby Canuckster » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:17 pm

another reason henry makow is one of my favorite sites.

really fresh articles and perspectives.

http://www.henrymakow.com/

this link will likely only be on a short time, then ill have to find where he archives it.
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:16 am

Makow has seen the light.

Miyazaki is my #1 favorite artist, ever. ALL his films are ambiguous when it comes to good guy/bad guy roles. There is NEVER an all-out villain that must be defeated like in most Disney movies.

This is really important imo and deserves serious consideration;

What does it do to kids/viewers when all the movies have distinct 'good' & 'evil'? What does it teach when we learn over and over again that the evil must be absolutely defeated/killed with no remorse? Most Hollywood movies are all like this.

Miyazaki movies are not like this. If there IS a villain, they usually become friends before the end of the movie and the viewer makes a switch to actually like them. Many of his movies don't even have a villain at all.

This is much wiser, imo.

Robbstar and I were talking in another thread about Star Wars mythology, and I often think the same thing; light conquers dark in that story, too.

I am trying to write a trilogy right now where 2 seemingly opposing forces must come together rather than compete.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:27 pm

Here is a great little breakdown I just found of this living master artist & storyteller:

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:28 pm

@ 7:35:

"Making an evil creature that really has an empty place or a hole in his heart is very tragic and depressing and sad to draw. So I don't like drawing them."

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:32 pm

@ 9:30

"The story is never about the protagonist winning. It's about the protagonist adapting and growing to a world that isn't built around their needs."

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:05 pm

'nother Miyazaki thread here @ MT:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1007&hilit=Miyazaki

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:12 pm

I JUST watched this movie 2 nights ago with my wife.

Had bought it months ago but our DVD was busted so I never watched it. Finally fixed the damn thing and celebrated by finally cracking it open.

WONDERFUL.

This is not a Miyazaki film, but is made at his studio, Studio Ghibli.

Its beautiful. So sensitive... real characters. The protagonist is a richly flawed character that my wife was astounded how well they portrayed her, having taught a few students with similar afflictions.
The attention to detail and subtle real-life touches is astounding.

Nothing fancy, no action etc. Just a really nicely told story with beautiful Ghibli artwork:

and no, its not a lesbian film :D

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:21 pm

Another recent release from Studio Ghibli that I was more than happy to purchase a copy of.

I think this may be based on a true story (?)

Anyways its an interesting tale about a man who is a genius/obsessed with designing AIRPLANES. Problem is that that its during WWII and the only people who can employ him is the military building fighter planes for the war.

A very relateable and typical artist's struggle. Again, top quality artwork, and a nice gentle style of storytelling.

Fuck Hollywood, man

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGr8XDxB-9I[/youtube]

Return to “Anarchy Zone”