Automatic acting

A True Open Forum; Share/Discuss whatever you like
Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Automatic acting

Postby Edge Guerrero » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:50 pm

- This thread come to my mind today, because for whatnever reason i write my password wrong whem logging here or The mma news, i keep repeting the same errors till i stop and thinking why i can`t log.

Serious if i don`t seat back and stop a little i keep doing the same error, so the tought that i barely think when loggin, it`s just automatic crossed my mind.

Does the same happens to you?
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:23 am

haha

just saw this thread, sorry Edge

Ya the brain is weird.

One of my best friends has some kind of degree/extensive training in hypnosis, he tells me about it all the time how easy the brain can get tripped up.

Alan Watts tells a great story:

A centipede was happy – quite!
Until a toad in fun
Said, "Pray, which leg moves after which?"
This raised her doubts to such a pitch,
She fell exhausted in the ditch
Not knowing how to run.

Another version:

A spider met a centipede while hurrying down the street,
"How do you move at such a speed, with all so many feet?"
"I do not have to contemplate to keep them all in line,
But if I start to concentrate they're tangled all the time!"

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:24 am

Wikipedia says there is even a term for this based on the poem:

Centipede Effect or Centipede Syndrome

The centipede effect occurs when a normally automatic or unconscious activity is disrupted by consciousness of it or reflection on it. For example, a golfer thinking too closely about their swing or someone thinking too much about how they knot their tie may find their performance of the task impaired. The effect is also known as hyper-reflection or Humphrey's law[1] after the English psychologist George Humphrey (1889–1966), who propounded it in 1923. As he wrote of the poem, "This is a most psychological rhyme. It contains a profound truth which is illustrated daily in the lives of all of us".

Chalk this as another point for the merits of Taoism
:D

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:14 am

Masato wrote:Wikipedia says there is even a term for this based on the poem:

Centipede Effect or Centipede Syndrome

The centipede effect occurs when a normally automatic or unconscious activity is disrupted by consciousness of it or reflection on it. For example, a golfer thinking too closely about their swing or someone thinking too much about how they knot their tie may find their performance of the task impaired. The effect is also known as hyper-reflection or Humphrey's law[1] after the English psychologist George Humphrey (1889–1966), who propounded it in 1923. As he wrote of the poem, "This is a most psychological rhyme. It contains a profound truth which is illustrated daily in the lives of all of us".

Chalk this as another point for the merits of Taoism
:D

- It`s like when you forget something that you usually do all the time.
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:56 am

Yeah, we do things automatically, there is a flow to things. When we actually stop to think about it, we actually sometimes confuse the flow lol

Its like; imagine if all the things you do you had to consciously think about doing? lol impossible

The brain can also be confused really easy, like a placebo thing; if you THINK you have forgotten, or are putting in the wrong code, you are actually giving a signal to your brain to block the correct code and repeat the thought that you forgot

every time I type the word brain, I type brian. Then I think of Monty Python and laugh.

See? I did it again

Some other words I consistently spell wrong because I tell myself that I consistently spell them wrong, lol. When I get the word my flow stops and self-fulfilling prophecy takes over. I could likely break this with self-hypnosis but too lazy/too hard on my brian

Return to “Anarchy Zone”