Buying a Graphics Tablet

A True Open Forum; Share/Discuss whatever you like
robbstar

Buying a Graphics Tablet

Postby robbstar » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:55 am

Hello

I have been inspired by what I see here . So I am going to try my hand at learning to draw. I used to draw lots when I was young and I always enjoyed it. The main thing that hampered me was colour, pencils never came with the colour written on them etc, which was a blow to my confidence, so I would stay away at art etc (oh poor me ahhaha). But now I have software like 'What color' to help me chose, no more excuses for me !! And world at my feet :) hahaha

So I am looking to get a cheap but decent graphics tablet, something that allows me to draw on, that transfers my doodles to photoshop.

1) Any recommendations - Brands, technology to look for etc, min spec requirements etc.
2) Tips , tricks, work flow and experience short cuts for a nubie
3) Good websites or Youtubers with tuts or guides.

Any help or info would be much appreciated.

Robb

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:18 pm

This always makes me happy to hear :D

I promise you will never touch a mouse again. Once you get the feel for the pen there is no turning back, even for regular computer use.

I am busy these days like a fool, not much time for posting but would be happy to share what I know

My suggestion would be to buy an Intuos Pro. (or Intuos Pro, or whatever they're up to these days).

The smaller, cheaper ones are just toys, they will leave you wanting more and will regret. The big big ones are too big, I've had giant ones and they're not necessary. Mine is 11 inches wide, but I think they measure the diagonal I can't remember

Anyways you will love it.

As far as drawing and coloring I can also give you some good head-starts as far as how to approach it. I agree, digital coloring is so much more fun than any sort of traditional medium. Hespect to the real painters though, that shit is hard lol

Keep me posted we'll have you illustrating in no time

robbstar

Postby robbstar » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:13 pm

Quality , Much appreciated.
Bought a wee cheapo from a boy at training . has some pressure and buttons. If I like it , I will invest in a quality brand . There seems to be a huge price gap between china knock offs and those Intuos bad boys.

http://www.aiptek.de/index.php/en/produ ... u-premium2
12.1" Premium Graphic Tablet
29 free programmable Macro Keys
1024 true pressure levels, 2000 Lpi Resolution
Slim design with only 5 mm thickness

Here is my first attempt at pen art :) Slowly but surely :)
Attachments
5.jpg
5.jpg (14.35 KiB) Viewed 5705 times

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:38 pm

What software are you using?

You need to create LAYERS. Keep your rough sketch on one layer, a next-step or cleaned up lines on a different layer, colors on a layer UNDER the lines, and background on a separate layer. Maybe you're already doing this I don't know, it looks as though you're painting all on the canvas (base layer).

When I first started working as an illustrator I didn't know how to use computers at ALL, but said I'd work for free until I figured it out. They bought me a computer and a HUGE drawing pad, and I spend about 4 days practicing before my boss said 'You know you can make layers, right?'

lol

robbstar

Postby robbstar » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:26 pm

HAHHa Ayet there is about ten layers there!! ahahah

Just learning as I go , found dome good tutorials on youtube about the painters workflow just adapting it for digital.

I use photoshop, to cheap to buy another program hahaha

Below is my progress so far . Proper fun this :)
Attachments
coolage progression.jpg
coolage progression.jpg (0 Bytes) Viewed 5684 times

robbstar

Postby robbstar » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:57 am

BTW the wife told me the fucking eyes were PURPLE!! Fuck these eyes:)

Followed a we tutorial this fine morning . Batman :)
love it
Attachments
batman small.jpg
batman small.jpg (0 Bytes) Viewed 5672 times

robbstar

Postby robbstar » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:00 am

Still working away here. Need to follow some of these tutorials to learn some of the concepts of drawing . Quality :)
Attachments
coolage progression1.jpg
coolage progression1.jpg (0 Bytes) Viewed 5659 times

robbstar

Postby robbstar » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:25 am

The final image!!
Attachments
small jpg.jpg
small jpg.jpg (0 Bytes) Viewed 5647 times

Empty Emp

Postby Empty Emp » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:40 pm

Really cool stuff! One of these days I'll break and finally get a drawing tablet.

It looks like you're getting along just fine with Photoshop, but you might want take a look at Krita. It's completely free and geared specifically to drawing. https://krita.org/

robbstar

Postby robbstar » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:15 pm

Cheers Emp

Watched all the promo stuff , looks ace. Downloaded it and it works well with my mouse but when I use the tablet it crashes. Maybe a driver issue . I will have a search around. The speed paint video on the website is amazing , truly amazing :)

Return to “Anarchy Zone”