What should I buy for a wedding gift?

A True Open Forum; Share/Discuss whatever you like
Jehannum

What should I buy for a wedding gift?

Postby Jehannum » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:10 am

superCalo wrote:a power tool, man can never have too many power tools & they will always come in useful, get a good brand like dewalt makita or hitachiImage

that looks a lot like something else I see quite a lot :D

Vutulaki

Postby Vutulaki » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:56 am

Jehannum wrote:
superCalo wrote:a power tool, man can never have too many power tools & they will always come in useful, get a good brand like dewalt makita or hitachiImage

that looks a lot like something else I see quite a lot :D

Like filthy chink vermin? Way too many of them around....

Winnson

Postby Winnson » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:10 pm

Masato wrote:Friend from college days getting married

No 'list' or 'registry' of gift suggestions or whatever as far as I can see (which is good, I am not a fan of those)

- What should I bring them?

I was thinking about a nice mason jar of weed

Any better ideas?

Cash. Let them pick what they want themselves. Any couple getting married would like some more cash more than another waffle iron, coffeemaker, or set of China.

Cash is king.

Winnson

Postby Winnson » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:25 pm

If they both smoke, a mason jar of weed is good too.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:10 pm

OK we are getting close to wedding day

My sister-in-law was in total shock when I told her my jar of weed idea (and she loves weed), says its terrible and she's glad I told her so she can teach me about wedding gifts lol

I have not yet received her wisdom but look forward to it

She said I need to buy something for the house or something, but who knows what they have or what other people got them? LOL @ a wedding couple getting like 7 toasters :D

Here is my plan, tell me honestly:

Was gonna make a grouping of smaller gifts:

- A nice hardcover of 'The Prophet' by Kahil Gibran (is this also bad etiquette? to give things of a personal/philisophical nature? I once gave an Alan Watts book to someone and they reacted very strangely like I was peddling religion on them or something lol)
- Some simple handmade pottery from Mrs. Masato
- Some candles
- Jar of weed

Also noted I don't really know the guy's wife. Met her a few times but that's it.

Should I stay traditional? Or is this OK?

thx

Benwahwah

Postby Benwahwah » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:28 pm

I really like the homemade pottery idea. You could maybe draw up a picture of them together yourself as well. Something they would like to hang up on their wall.

Winnson

Postby Winnson » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:39 pm

Not for nothing, but Newlyweds appreciate cash more than anything else. They can spend that on what they want.

If it's something really personal and artistic, it might be a memory that will last long after the cash is gone.

Choose wisely padiwan. And yeah, passing someone a bag or jar of weed as a wedding gift could be like, front page bad news. LOL!

Winnson

Postby Winnson » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:48 pm

I got it. For their wedding gift at the wedding, give them a nice, personalized card with several certificates inside:

1. A personal portrait by you. Digital or whatever art you can do to portrait them.
2. A future tattoo if they want it.
3. A mason jar full of a herb or spice of their preference
4&5, two other cool things that you can think of. Promises. Give them 5 promises. Follow through though no matter what.

That would be sick and very, very unique.

Winnson

Postby Winnson » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:55 pm

Make sure you do the promises though. Don't give them a free promise. That could be all kinds of fucked up.

4. Something for the house maybe? Specify price cap!
5. X hours of babysitting, if required

Something like that. 5 promises, but you make goddam good and sure you make the promises. Don't leave yourself open boss, or you could live to regret it.

You lock down those 5 promises though, and that would be a sick wedding gift. Just be fucking careful. If you're not and have to buy them a house or new car or something crazy in 5 years, that's on you. Don't come bitching to me.

Good luck!

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:54 pm

They should have a listing of gifts at a registry somewhere no? That way you avoid the 6 toasters,
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Return to “Anarchy Zone”