Competitive Team Sports for Kids..?

A True Open Forum; Share/Discuss whatever you like
Shinkicker

Re: Competitive Team Sports for Kids..?

Postby Shinkicker » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:01 pm

One more thing :D

We saw the flip side of that cutthroat competitiveness. You know, the one where everyone gets a trophy.

My son's team made it to the playoffs one year. A kid on the team had a birthday a few weeks before making him too old to participate. After much discussion between parents, coaches, and officials the decision was that he gets to play because he is part of the team BUT that made our team disqualified from competing for the championship. So they played one game for playing's sake and we went home.

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:58 pm

Shinkicker wrote:My main reason to encourage it was exercise. At the time, I didn't have any worries though because they were both active. In my backyard I've had a fox hole, a fort behind the fence, an obstacle/military training course, a tree house, a shooting range, motorcycle track, basketball court, and things for cover during nerf gun wars. They have built a soap box car in my garage out of trash.....anyway I wasn't at all worried about sports. But now they are getting lazy. My 13 year old at least somewhat understands and works out some.

- Ever thought about putting then on a martial-arts school?
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:01 pm

Shinkicker wrote:One more thing :D

We saw the flip side of that cutthroat competitiveness. You know, the one where everyone gets a trophy.

My son's team made it to the playoffs one year. A kid on the team had a birthday a few weeks before making him too old to participate. After much discussion between parents, coaches, and officials the decision was that he gets to play because he is part of the team BUT that made our team disqualified from competing for the championship. So they played one game for playing's sake and we went home.

- That`s it. In real life we compete for everything, a job, a place to stop the car, kid`s are getting a very unrealistic view of society. Competition make then want harder, work more to get better.

And they need to watch Rocky, everyone know that Rocky saved the world from scumbag lazy hippies.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:24 pm

Shinkicker wrote: In my backyard I've had a fox hole, a fort behind the fence, an obstacle/military training course, a tree house, a shooting range, motorcycle track, basketball court, and things for cover during nerf gun wars. They have built a soap box car in my garage out of trash.....anyway I wasn't at all worried about sports. But now they are getting lazy. My 13 year old at least somewhat understands and works out some.

You sound like an awesome mom

Edge is right, martial arts is a great and often overlooked option

Winnson

Postby Winnson » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:25 pm

When you let people win and celebrate it, you are encouraging people to be losers, full stop.

If I have to let you win for you to win, well then you really didn't win, did you? In fact, if I have to go out of my way to let you win, you're pretty much a fucking loser.

Congratulations you won, you pathetic fucking idiot.

Shinkicker

Postby Shinkicker » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:42 pm

Edge Guerrero wrote:

- That`s it. In real life we compete for everything, a job, a place to stop the car, kid`s are getting a very unrealistic view of society. Competition make then want harder, work more to get better.

And they need to watch Rocky, everyone know that Rocky saved the world from scumbag lazy hippies.

Not Rocky but they saw the Karate Kid.

Side story, when my boys were like 4 and 5 I signed them up for taekwondo. They had a .....like a punching bag on a stick, not sure what it's called. My boys kept going over and beating the shit out of it. Instructor kept telling them that would come later. My boys apparently disagreed. Later, he informed me of a boxing club in town for kids.lol

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:04 pm

Shinkicker wrote:
Edge Guerrero wrote:

Not Rocky but they saw the Karate Kid.

Side story, when my boys were like 4 and 5 I signed them up for taekwondo. They had a .....like a punching bag on a stick, not sure what it's called. My boys kept going over and beating the shit out of it. Instructor kept telling them that would come later. My boys apparently disagreed. Later, he informed me of a boxing club in town for kids.lol

- Horrible movie. You still can save your kid`s they need to watch no Retreat no Surrender with Van Damme and Lion-Heart. The original Karate kid was bad, besides Johnny of course, but the one with Will Smith kid was horrible.

Taekwon-do is a good martial art, but like every martial art, but some people have no place teaching.

Winnson

Postby Winnson » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:17 pm

Get the little fuckers out there in the real world as much as you can. They will gravitate towards their personal devices.

Get your boys or girls some time out there in the sun. There's not enough of that anymore.

Hockey was my game, before fighting. I was also awesome at archery and badminton.

Your gear level on a video game don't mean shit in the real world. The sooner kids realize that and do more real world stuff, the better.

Winnson

Postby Winnson » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:25 pm

Shinkicker wrote:As far as organized sports both of my boys have done them. But as soon as they said they didn't want to anymore, I let them stop. It would punish others if mine weren't into it.

Sometimes you have to push the kids a bit though. Don't let them give up at the drop of a hat if they've shown potential.

Pep talk can do wonders sometimes, and making a deal to try your best to the end of the season and seeing where it goes.

Sometimes kids are grateful for that.

t. kid that was grateful for that a couple few times. A little push here and there can be awesome, just to see what you can do.

Som-Pong

Postby Som-Pong » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:33 am

I tried my hand at archery when I was a kid. Knives are more my flavour.

Return to “Anarchy Zone”