Sharkcallers of Kontu

A True Open Forum; Share/Discuss whatever you like
Masato
Site Admin

Sharkcallers of Kontu

Postby Masato » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:00 am

The Sharkcallers of Kontu depicts the ancient tradition of sharkcalling in the village of Kontu, on the remote west coast of New Ireland in Papua New Guinea.

There are only a few men remaining who use magic to call, trap and kill sharks by hand from their small outrigger canoes. Making this very old and extraordinary practice the spine of the film, the filmmaker also weaves in a compelling portrait of the daily life of the villagers. The Sharkcallers of Kontu explores the changes to cultural values and traditional customs wrought by colonisation, alcohol, commerce and Christianity.

The film is beautifully shot in an observational style and makes memorable use of archival stills and interviews with villagers. Filmmaker Dennis ORourke narrates.

Megaterio Llamas

Postby Megaterio Llamas » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:43 am

That is baddass right there. The Papuan capital city of Port Moresby was listed as the most dangerous city on earth by Lonely Planet. I'm not sure if it still tops their ratings though. I guess the chance you could be eaten gives the place a leg up in that regard.

Internet forum personality Shimora is believed to live there, so the story goes.
el rey del mambo

Vutulaki

Postby Vutulaki » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:24 am

Megaterio Llamas wrote:That is baddass right there. The Papuan capital city of Port Moresby was listed as the most dangerous city on earth by Lonely Planet. I'm not sure if it still tops their ratings though. I guess the chance you could be eaten gives the place a leg up in that regard.

Internet forum personality Shimora is believed to live there, so the story goes.

Ive been to Port Moresby in my teens, I remember getting drunk on dad's duty free grog then daring myself to walk out of the hotel into the street. Even in my young dumb drunk state I wouldnt do it, not even a step

I once fucked up a PNG kid on the rugby pitch though, open dislocation of his shoulder, I hip checked him perfectly then got slapped by Brother Anthony of laughing at the other kid as I walked back from scoring a try.

Back to the OP, any vibration in shark infested waters will call the Noah's (Noahs ark...shark), nothing special here imo

Diet Butcher

Postby Diet Butcher » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:14 pm

I was doing cardio watching some show on the TV at the gym one time called "Tales From Afar" about gooks who wound up in some far off land. The episode I watched was about gooks in Papua New Guinea. I was thinking, how the fuck did they end up there?

Well, one gook owned a factory. Fair enough. Raw materials, whatever. The only place he can go to after work was at the country club where all the expats go to not get robbed, raped or murdered.

This other gook was there with his wife and young son. He owned a fucking general store! Why in the fucking fuck would a chink go open a general store in a place where there is a high chance of being raped or murdered everyday? He must have fucked over someone and is on the run from either the triads or the CCP. No reason why he would voluntarily go there to open a general store.

Now I have relatives who moved to buttfuck Surinam and Jamaica. But there were already Chink communities there from when they were brought over as coolies. But PNG? I still don't know why the fuck they do it. Fascinating story though.

Vutulaki

Postby Vutulaki » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:00 pm

Diet Butcher wrote:I was doing cardio watching some show on the TV at the gym one time called "Tales From Afar" about gooks who wound up in some far off land. The episode I watched was about gooks in Papua New Guinea. I was thinking, how the fuck did they end up there?

Well, one gook owned a factory. Fair enough. Raw materials, whatever. The only place he can go to after work was at the country club where all the expats go to not get robbed, raped or murdered.

This other gook was there with his wife and young son. He owned a fucking general store! Why in the fucking fuck would a chink go open a general store in a place where there is a high chance of being raped or murdered everyday? He must have fucked over someone and is on the run from either the triads or the CCP. No reason why he would voluntarily go there to open a general store.

Now I have relatives who moved to buttfuck Surinam and Jamaica. But there were already Chink communities there from when they were brought over as coolies. But PNG? I still don't know why the fuck they do it. Fascinating story though.

Origins[edit]
Beginning in 1888, the German New Guinea Company (GNGC) imported hundreds of indentured Chinese labourers each year, from Amoy (now Xiamen), Hong Kong, Singapore, and Sumatra to work on coconut and tobacco plantations. They suffered a fatality rate as high as 40% due to tropical diseases and harsh treatment.[8] However, from 1898, the German government formally took over administration of the territory from the GNGC, and promoted free immigration instead of indentured labour. Carpenters, shipbuilders, engineers, tailors, and shopkeepers flowed into the territory, spreading out to various towns including Rabaul, Kokopo, Kavieng, Lae, and Madang.[9] Ships regularly sailed back and forth to Hong Kong. From a population of 200 in 1890, the Chinese community grew to 1427 by 1913. Of those, just 101 were women.[8][9]

Vutulaki

Postby Vutulaki » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:03 pm

^^Coolies like me.

Diet Butcher

Postby Diet Butcher » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:11 pm

Vutulaki wrote:^^Coolies like me.

haha... I stand corrected. Must have missed that part of the show. But it didn't seem like there was a gook community where that dude and his wife and kid was. They were completely isolated, or so it seems.

Vutulaki

Postby Vutulaki » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:19 pm

Diet Butcher wrote:

haha... I stand corrected. Must have missed that part of the show. But it didn't seem like there was a gook community where that dude and his wife and kid was. They were completely isolated, or so it seems.

Nah there's enough of them, HEAPS in FIji but Fiji isnt dangerous at all unless youre a young dudes and cared of some street boxing now and again.

Theres plenty of gooks in PNG https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinatown,_Lae

Now check this out :)

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/may/20/resettling-refugees-in-papua-new-guinea-a-tragic-theatre-of-the-absurd

Diet Butcher

Postby Diet Butcher » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:13 pm

Vutulaki wrote:
Diet Butcher wrote:

Nah there's enough of them, HEAPS in FIji but Fiji isnt dangerous at all unless youre a young dudes and cared of some street boxing now and again.

Theres plenty of gooks in PNG https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinatown,_Lae

Now check this out :)

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/may/20/resettling-refugees-in-papua-new-guinea-a-tragic-theatre-of-the-absurd

ROR... Nice troll by aussie government!

Sent from my LG-H818 using Tapatalk

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:16 pm

- Watched this doc several years ago on a vhs.
Thank you for posting man.
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Return to “Anarchy Zone”