Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Re: Getting my kids ready for the SAS today

Postby Edge Guerrero » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:53 pm

Masato wrote:I was a big 'Married With Children' fan though, I must admit lol

- Great show.
They don't do shows like that anymore.
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Winnson

Postby Winnson » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:08 am

They wouldn't be allowed to make that show today.

What's ironic is that Bill Nye would have burnt at the stake had he put out the shit he's putting out now back then.

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:47 pm

What's ironic is how cucked ed O'Neil is in his new show.
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Winnson

Postby Winnson » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:30 pm

Masato wrote:^^ LOL, not sure if you're helping your argument with that one, :D dish soap in the gravy? wtf

Seriously, IMHO, the strongest nuclear/traditional family is one where the woman/wife/mom is chosen wisely and respected, and the men teach their kids to 'listen to your mother'. This (perhaps exaggerated) picture you paint where wives are best seen and not heard and take a back seat to the husband I don't think creates quite as strong a family/society/kids. Wives get resentful or mistreated, & the inevitable conflict scars the kids. Better I always say to find a woman who you know is just a bit smarter than you are, and trust the shit out of her for lotsa things because we know damn well that men left entirely to their own devices will eventually end up in some disaster, lol The best partnerships acknowledge the differences and allow each to perform them well, as they fit nicely together to make a whole package.

Or maybe that's just me because I often think my wife saved me from total vagrancy, lol

I agree 100% that the State is trying to destroy this though. Can you think of a TV show in the past decade that shows a strong nuclear family? Maybe I'm wrong, I haven't really watched any TV in a decade. Wonder why lol

There was a bunch of juice at the bottom of the cooker so I wanted to add it to the gravy I'd already made. I broke out the tongs to lift the pan with the juice out of there and dump it into the gravy. My daughter had decided to half assed wash those very same tongs just before that. She had the tongs all soaped up ready to rinse, when I told her to get out of the way.

When I used the tongs to grab the pan of sausage juice, I dumped a bunch of dishwashing liquid into it unawares. I picked it up and plopped it into the gravy I was reheating on the stove. My daughter then explained the reason for all the extra bubbles.

Gravy ruined, but props to the kid for cleaning up. I give her a C+

We both ate the gravy anyway, but Mum would not touch it and called us idiots. Kek

Winnson

Postby Winnson » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:48 pm

Canuckster wrote:What's ironic is how cucked ed O'Neil is in his new show.

You mean 'Modern Family'?

Want to really trip balls, check out 'You're the Worst'.

Ladies and gentlemen, television at its word, absolutely.

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:23 am

I can't stomach television anymore,
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:55 pm

I made a thread in the Super Dojo about this but then took it down cuz it fits better here for this discussion.

My 9-year old son has agreed to compete again (his 4th tournament) in BJJ. I promised him I would never push him to compete, that the choice is always his, but this time his whole club/kids team is going, they are all competing and the coach is giving belt gradings after. Coach says he is ready so I kind of nudged him to go. He agreed.

I'm trying not to be nervous but its hard lol

Mostly I don't want him to get hurt. These kids tournaments can get a little rough. He is pretty tough but still has not outgrown the instinct to bring the tears when he takes a big bump. This is hard for me as a dad, I hate seeing him get hurt even little things

Secondly I hope he can find the mindset to enjoy it, no matter if he does well or not. Last time he thought he was gonna cruise for 1st place, but got surprised by the last opponent and took home silver. As good of a sport as he is this bummed him out pretty hard last time and I don't want him to feel that disappointment again

Thirdly I get confused how to coach/support him psychologically. I don't like competition myself, I'm very polarized usually I don't give a fuck at all about winning or losing, but other times I shoot for excellence and get out of my way. I'm trying to help my son find a more healthy balance but not sure where to settle on the scale. He's doing a pretty good job on his own, sometimes I think I'll just let him find his own way. I want to teach him to try his best and go for the W but at the same time not go too crazy over it and just have fun. This seems like kind of a paradox, its like I'm giving mixed messages lol

Fourthly I anticipate I'll have tons of work that weekend and will have to come back from the tournament with an all-nighter ahead of me :D

Oh, also he is going with his whole club/team, many of which are serious competitors and compete/train way more than my boy. He's going with some killers, wondering if that will inspire him or put too much pressure on him to be as good.

Obviously, I'm overthinking everything lol... he seems cool about it way more than me

Just needed to vent about it, I'll have this on my mind all week

Thoughts are most welcome

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:58 pm

His first tournament he got absolutely thumped, lost all his matches. Big lesson learned.

2nd tournament he destroyed everyone and won gold, to his absolute surprise lol. Another lesson.

3rd tournament it looked like he was gonna cruise for gold again, then got surprised in the last match by a kid who was simply working way harder and had tougher matches. My son took silver, but was hard on himself about blowing the last fight. Another lesson learned.

...I would say those are 3 pretty good lessons for 3 experiences. What would be a good experience now ya think?

Winnson

Postby Winnson » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:53 pm

Masato wrote:I made a thread in the Super Dojo about this but then took it down cuz it fits better here for this discussion.

My 9-year old son has agreed to compete again (his 4th tournament) in BJJ. I promised him I would never push him to compete, that the choice is always his, but this time his whole club/kids team is going, they are all competing and the coach is giving belt gradings after. Coach says he is ready so I kind of nudged him to go. He agreed.

I'm trying not to be nervous but its hard lol

Mostly I don't want him to get hurt. These kids tournaments can get a little rough. He is pretty tough but still has not outgrown the instinct to bring the tears when he takes a big bump. This is hard for me as a dad, I hate seeing him get hurt even little things

Secondly I hope he can find the mindset to enjoy it, no matter if he does well or not. Last time he thought he was gonna cruise for 1st place, but got surprised by the last opponent and took home silver. As good of a sport as he is this bummed him out pretty hard last time and I don't want him to feel that disappointment again

Thirdly I get confused how to coach/support him psychologically. I don't like competition myself, I'm very polarized usually I don't give a fuck at all about winning or losing, but other times I shoot for excellence and get out of my way. I'm trying to help my son find a more healthy balance but not sure where to settle on the scale. He's doing a pretty good job on his own, sometimes I think I'll just let him find his own way. I want to teach him to try his best and go for the W but at the same time not go too crazy over it and just have fun. This seems like kind of a paradox, its like I'm giving mixed messages lol

Fourthly I anticipate I'll have tons of work that weekend and will have to come back from the tournament with an all-nighter ahead of me :D

Oh, also he is going with his whole club/team, many of which are serious competitors and compete/train way more than my boy. He's going with some killers, wondering if that will inspire him or put too much pressure on him to be as good.

Obviously, I'm overthinking everything lol... he seems cool about it way more than me

Just needed to vent about it, I'll have this on my mind all week

Thoughts are most welcome

You know what you must teach him Masato

Winnson

Postby Winnson » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:58 pm

Masato wrote:His first tournament he got absolutely thumped, lost all his matches. Big lesson learned.

2nd tournament he destroyed everyone and won gold, to his absolute surprise lol. Another lesson.

3rd tournament it looked like he was gonna cruise for gold again, then got surprised in the last match by a kid who was simply working way harder and had tougher matches. My son took silver, but was hard on himself about blowing the last fight. Another lesson learned.

...I would say those are 3 pretty good lessons for 3 experiences. What would be a good experience now ya think?

Let him go, do his best, realize that he might get hurt, and let him know that he could take it all if he's ready.

Is he ready? Only he knows that.

Make sure he knows daddy supports him and winning isn't everything. I'm not going to be able to type all this here so I'll quote and post.

Just remember, winning isn't everything kids. IT'S THE ONLY THING!

Return to “Anarchy Zone”