Getting my kids ready for the SAS today

A True Open Forum; Share/Discuss whatever you like
Canuckster

Re: Getting my kids ready for the SAS today

Postby Canuckster » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:20 pm

Masato wrote:I was playing by a fast-running creek yesterday with the kids. A tree had fallen over a rather swift/deep part of the river and my daughter wanted to cross it. I did it first and she really wanted to try so I let her and she did/really proud of herself.

My younger son wanted to try, and I knew inside me he has a huge chance of falling (it was fairly tricky, if you freeze for a moment likely to fall in). I said better not, but my wife insisted I can't do that and to let him try. He made it across, but fell on the way back. Right in over his head in the strongest part of the current. He said he swallowed some water and was trying to swim back up to grab the tree but couldn't fight the current and got really afraid (I explained to him after if he had just turned around and floated down he would have hit shallow ground right away). I pulled him out but he was soaked from head to to and scratched up his back on the tree as he fell.

be honest.. Is this child abuse?

That thar is what we call a lesson.
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Winnson

Postby Winnson » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:53 pm

What doesn't drown you, can only make you stronger, so make sure they learn to swim...Or perish.

Vutulaki

Postby Vutulaki » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:29 am

Yeah kids need to take a few bumps and scrapes growing up to build resilience

I honestly always had a band aid of some sort on somewhere on my body at all times as a kid and if not Id have the residue from the adhesive part of the band aid on on my skin somewhere cause my parents would buy the cheapest lowest quality dollar store band aids for me cause "you keep using them" ???!!!

At assembly you could always pick out the kids with injuries cause all the flies would hang around their knees, there's hardly any kids with band aids on at my kids school. They arent allowed to run in the playground in case they fall over haha BUT they are allowed to bring cans of coke for lunch which you couldnt back in my day, no fizzy drinks in primary (grade) school now half the kids are overweight and retarded.

Another thing is that they have no respect for adults, in my day if you saw anyone's parent at the school youd say "good morning Mr blah" now these little bastards just look you up and down and keep walking even the kids who come over to our place and play dont say Hi to me at the school the little cunts, most of them are junior gooks tho

Vutulaki

Postby Vutulaki » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:32 am

Canuckster wrote:
Masato wrote:I was playing by a fast-running creek yesterday with the kids. A tree had fallen over a rather swift/deep part of the river and my daughter wanted to cross it. I did it first and she really wanted to try so I let her and she did/really proud of herself.

My younger son wanted to try, and I knew inside me he has a huge chance of falling (it was fairly tricky, if you freeze for a moment likely to fall in). I said better not, but my wife insisted I can't do that and to let him try. He made it across, but fell on the way back. Right in over his head in the strongest part of the current. He said he swallowed some water and was trying to swim back up to grab the tree but couldn't fight the current and got really afraid (I explained to him after if he had just turned around and floated down he would have hit shallow ground right away). I pulled him out but he was soaked from head to to and scratched up his back on the tree as he fell.

Yes the young man learned to listen to his dad and never his mum or any other brain dead female (Not a personal attack on your wife masato its an observation of the entire female gender)

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:46 pm

Vutulaki wrote:
Canuckster wrote:

Yes the young man learned to listen to his dad and never his mum or any other brain dead female (Not a personal attack on your wife masato its an observation of the entire female gender)

That is interesting, I puzzled that myself at the moment.

I crossed the log first myself, to test it. It was fairly tricky... a good test of agility for my daring and coordinated daughter, and I was nervous to even let her try. Its all in the mind imo, you have to commit and DO IT, any hesitation and you will get wobbly and fall. I know my daughter has more experience than my son in these kinds of things.

I KNEW my son is not quite there yet, and felt his hesitation; he wanted to do it and is pretty coordinated in his own right, just younger and less experienced. But I could see in my mind's eye that it was a fuckin coin toss whether he would go for a drink or not.

I suggested lovingly he better not take this one, it would be a big fall and swim if he slips... but my wife supported him and said to let him try. Said it wasn't right to let 1 kid and not the other, or to not give him the chance to try. I made it very clear about being OK with the consequences, and said OK try then and gave him the same coaching about commitment and attention etc.

He made it across! This was great he was really happy.

But then he fell on the way back, lol

So who was right? Me, or my wife? Should I have trusted my instincts about was is reasonable risk, let him come home dry but having his dad say no? Or should I have let him try, go home soaked but learned the lesson?

Interesting question

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:48 pm

There's no right or wrong, only an important lesson that he's not likely to do again.
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Winnson

Postby Winnson » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:32 pm

You have to let them push their boundaries a bit, to see what they can do.

I've had multiple broken bones, concussions, stitches, etc. It's all good.

I got to see what I could do, and I'll always be grateful for that.

Shinkicker

Postby Shinkicker » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:44 pm

Vutulaki wrote:Yeah kids need to take a few bumps and scrapes growing up to build resilience

Unless it's a female allowing them to take their knocks. Then she's brain dead.

Ffs.

Shinkicker

Postby Shinkicker » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:46 pm

Masato wrote:
Vutulaki wrote:
Canuckster wrote:

That is interesting, I puzzled that myself at the moment.

I crossed the log first myself, to test it. It was fairly tricky... a good test of agility for my daring and coordinated daughter, and I was nervous to even let her try. Its all in the mind imo, you have to commit and DO IT, any hesitation and you will get wobbly and fall. I know my daughter has more experience than my son in these kinds of things.

I KNEW my son is not quite there yet, and felt his hesitation; he wanted to do it and is pretty coordinated in his own right, just younger and less experienced. But I could see in my mind's eye that it was a fuckin coin toss whether he would go for a drink or not.

I suggested lovingly he better not take this one, it would be a big fall and swim if he slips... but my wife supported him and said to let him try. Said it wasn't right to let 1 kid and not the other, or to not give him the chance to try. I made it very clear about being OK with the consequences, and said OK try then and gave him the same coaching about commitment and attention etc.

He made it across! This was great he was really happy.

But then he fell on the way back, lol

So who was right? Me, or my wife? Should I have trusted my instincts about was is reasonable risk, let him come home dry but having his dad say no? Or should I have let him try, go home soaked but learned the lesson?

Interesting question

Hopefully you offered to let him try again as soon as he realized he was okay.

:mrgreen:

If not, take him back this weekend. Lol

Winnson

Postby Winnson » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:07 pm

Shinkicker wrote:
Vutulaki wrote:Yeah kids need to take a few bumps and scrapes growing up to build resilience

Unless it's a female allowing them to take their knocks. Then she's brain dead.

Ffs.

What happened?

Return to “Anarchy Zone”