Getting my kids ready for the SAS today

A True Open Forum; Share/Discuss whatever you like
Canuckster

Re: Getting my kids ready for the SAS today

Postby Canuckster » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:09 pm

Masato wrote:His first tournament he got absolutely thumped, lost all his matches. Big lesson learned.

2nd tournament he destroyed everyone and won gold, to his absolute surprise lol. Another lesson.

3rd tournament it looked like he was gonna cruise for gold again, then got surprised in the last match by a kid who was simply working way harder and had tougher matches. My son took silver, but was hard on himself about blowing the last fight. Another lesson learned.

...I would say those are 3 pretty good lessons for 3 experiences. What would be a good experience now ya think?

Whatever comes next
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Shinkicker

Postby Shinkicker » Tue May 02, 2017 1:24 pm

Masato wrote:I made a thread in the Super Dojo about this but then took it down cuz it fits better here for this discussion.

My 9-year old son has agreed to compete again (his 4th tournament) in BJJ. I promised him I would never push him to compete, that the choice is always his, but this time his whole club/kids team is going, they are all competing and the coach is giving belt gradings after. Coach says he is ready so I kind of nudged him to go. He agreed.

I'm trying not to be nervous but its hard lol

Mostly I don't want him to get hurt. These kids tournaments can get a little rough. He is pretty tough but still has not outgrown the instinct to bring the tears when he takes a big bump. This is hard for me as a dad, I hate seeing him get hurt even little things

Secondly I hope he can find the mindset to enjoy it, no matter if he does well or not. Last time he thought he was gonna cruise for 1st place, but got surprised by the last opponent and took home silver. As good of a sport as he is this bummed him out pretty hard last time and I don't want him to feel that disappointment again

Thirdly I get confused how to coach/support him psychologically. I don't like competition myself, I'm very polarized usually I don't give a fuck at all about winning or losing, but other times I shoot for excellence and get out of my way. I'm trying to help my son find a more healthy balance but not sure where to settle on the scale. He's doing a pretty good job on his own, sometimes I think I'll just let him find his own way. I want to teach him to try his best and go for the W but at the same time not go too crazy over it and just have fun. This seems like kind of a paradox, its like I'm giving mixed messages lol

Fourthly I anticipate I'll have tons of work that weekend and will have to come back from the tournament with an all-nighter ahead of me :D

Oh, also he is going with his whole club/team, many of which are serious competitors and compete/train way more than my boy. He's going with some killers, wondering if that will inspire him or put too much pressure on him to be as good.

Obviously, I'm overthinking everything lol... he seems cool about it way more than me

Just needed to vent about it, I'll have this on my mind all week

Thoughts are most welcome

How hard did you have to nudge?

Careful, my mommy feathers are prepared to ruffle. Lol

Vutulaki

Postby Vutulaki » Wed May 03, 2017 7:07 am

Shinkicker wrote:
Masato wrote:I made a thread in the Super Dojo about this but then took it down cuz it fits better here for this discussion.

My 9-year old son has agreed to compete again (his 4th tournament) in BJJ. I promised him I would never push him to compete, that the choice is always his, but this time his whole club/kids team is going, they are all competing and the coach is giving belt gradings after. Coach says he is ready so I kind of nudged him to go. He agreed.

I'm trying not to be nervous but its hard lol

Mostly I don't want him to get hurt. These kids tournaments can get a little rough. He is pretty tough but still has not outgrown the instinct to bring the tears when he takes a big bump. This is hard for me as a dad, I hate seeing him get hurt even little things

Secondly I hope he can find the mindset to enjoy it, no matter if he does well or not. Last time he thought he was gonna cruise for 1st place, but got surprised by the last opponent and took home silver. As good of a sport as he is this bummed him out pretty hard last time and I don't want him to feel that disappointment again

Thirdly I get confused how to coach/support him psychologically. I don't like competition myself, I'm very polarized usually I don't give a fuck at all about winning or losing, but other times I shoot for excellence and get out of my way. I'm trying to help my son find a more healthy balance but not sure where to settle on the scale. He's doing a pretty good job on his own, sometimes I think I'll just let him find his own way. I want to teach him to try his best and go for the W but at the same time not go too crazy over it and just have fun. This seems like kind of a paradox, its like I'm giving mixed messages lol

Fourthly I anticipate I'll have tons of work that weekend and will have to come back from the tournament with an all-nighter ahead of me :D

Oh, also he is going with his whole club/team, many of which are serious competitors and compete/train way more than my boy. He's going with some killers, wondering if that will inspire him or put too much pressure on him to be as good.

Obviously, I'm overthinking everything lol... he seems cool about it way more than me

Just needed to vent about it, I'll have this on my mind all week

Thoughts are most welcome

How hard did you have to nudge?

Careful, my mommy feathers are prepared to ruffle. Lol

Men are talking here, men who only talk with women they fornicate with so you should be quiet unless you want to... you know?

Shinkicker

Postby Shinkicker » Wed May 03, 2017 11:12 am

You ain't the boss of me.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Wed May 03, 2017 12:53 pm

LOL is that a Mike Tyson quote?

Shinkicker

Postby Shinkicker » Wed May 03, 2017 12:58 pm

Masato wrote:LOL is that a Mike Tyson quote?

No idea.
You repped his shitpost?

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Wed May 03, 2017 10:18 pm

lol I am a nervous wreck

He got a bit hurt in training yesterday, cried a bit. I can't handle it, lol I'm gonna be a mess till its over. I can't stand watching my kids hurt, even little hurts, and these tournaments can get a little rough.

To answer shinkicker, I didn't have to nudge hard, he was already talking about it, I think he likes to compete, just has natural doubts. He was excited that his coach said he was totally ready and still wants to go even though I've given him tons of chances not to, lol

He seems totally cool with it all. Maybe I'm the one learning the lessons, lol

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Wed May 03, 2017 10:20 pm

I saw a video the other day where some guy rolls down a ski-area in one of those inflatable balls.

But the ball went off course and ended up rolling all the way down the mountainside. He died.

Scared the shit out of me, lol My daughter is a thrill seeker and is going to play bubble-soccer in the exact same inflatable thing right now (no mountains to roll off though)

Parenting can fuck you up. I was never scared of heights, till a few summers ago when I was with my kids up on this high thing and I fucking freaked out lol now I don't like heights at all

Winnson

Postby Winnson » Thu May 04, 2017 1:13 am

Shinkicker wrote:
Masato wrote:LOL is that a Mike Tyson quote?

No idea.
You repped his shitpost?

I don't see any shitposts in this thread, just rock solid parenting advice and offers for sex.

How can you be against that?

Diet Butcher

Postby Diet Butcher » Thu May 04, 2017 7:30 am

A tired boy is a good boy.

Cesar Milan.

Return to “Anarchy Zone”