Crazy Cabin Way the Fuck up on the Matterhorn

A True Open Forum; Share/Discuss whatever you like
Masato
Site Admin

Crazy Cabin Way the Fuck up on the Matterhorn

Postby Masato » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:26 pm

At the top of the Matterhorn in Switzerland, one of the highest peaks in the Swiss Alps, stands a tiny cabin called the Solvay Hut. It’s the highest hut owned by the Swiss Alpine Club, which is the largest mountaineering club in Switzerland. Those huts are meant to be used by climbers for shelter, but the Solvay Hut can only be used in emergencies. That’s because it would take a near-emergency just to reach the hut.

It’s amazing how this hut perched on the side of a giant mountain even came to be.

It was built in 1915. All of the materials were brought up the mountainside with the help of animals. It took only five days to erect the hut precariously on the mountainside. In 1966, the hut was rebuilt and then in 1976 an emergency phone was installed for hikers. The hut is named after Belgium Ernest Solvay (1838-1922). He donated the well-known hut on the Hörnli Ridge. He was an avid adventurer and climber and realized that how sudden storms could lead to deadly situations on those ridges. Now the hut is available to explorers who need to stop and rest. And in case of emergencies, climbers can call rescue crews from there.

Getting there, however, is still a tricky endeavor. Basically, if you climb high enough in the Alps, you deserve to rest at the tiny Solvay Hut. In fact, adventurers probably deserve a week-long massage at that point, but the small room of safety with a gorgeous view will have to do.

http://www.viraltales.com/see-tiny-plac ... ap=%5B%5D#

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:11 pm

I went hiking in the swiss alps. I went to the tallest mountain in all of Europe, mount Jungfrau(young woman auf deutsch). We didnt climb her because the peak is so steep but we climbed an adjacent mountain that had a nice plateau at the top. It was amazing, I remember we stopped to drink at a small stream along the way. The climb was insane, hours of your lungs feeling like theyre on fire about to burst. I went thru my 2 bottles of gatorade in about an hour and I only had water henceforth. At the top the mountain is covered in mist and it has an eerie but peaceful effect. It was amazing to look down at the top of clouds and know that you are not in an airplane nor did you use one to get there. I was also surprised to see some cows a little ways down the mountain.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:57 am

Luigi that is awesome, You tell your tale well (but the cows line at the end ruined me lol)

I have hiked the trail to the top (not the peak) of Mount Robson in Canada 3x, as well as a bunch of smaller peaks throughout BC. Also saw the Alps in Switzerland drivin around for like a day but never really hiked in them :(

Never anything too extreme (anyone can do the Robson Trail, it takes 3 days of non-dangerous hiking)... but enough to appreciate why people go nuts for alpine stuff. Being in Ontario now I really miss the mountains sometimes, they have a strange kind of calming effect on everything, I like it.

Personally, after a point however it is not worth the discomfort, lol

My father in law is obsessed with Everest and has read every book he could find by people who have actually ascended it. Everyone just freezing and dying and getting sick, lol
That shit I don't think I could ever understand.

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:02 pm

- Looks like the scenary from a video-game.
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:01 pm

i bet you more than a few people have been high, high up in yonder cabin.
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:06 pm

Masato wrote:Luigi that is awesome, You tell your tale well (but the cows line at the end ruined me lol)

I have hiked the trail to the top (not the peak) of Mount Robson in Canada 3x, as well as a bunch of smaller peaks throughout BC. Also saw the Alps in Switzerland drivin around for like a day but never really hiked in them :(

Never anything too extreme (anyone can do the Robson Trail, it takes 3 days of non-dangerous hiking)... but enough to appreciate why people go nuts for alpine stuff. Being in Ontario now I really miss the mountains sometimes, they have a strange kind of calming effect on everything, I like it.

My father in law is obsessed with Everest and has read every book he could find by people who have actually ascended it. Everyone just freezing and dying and getting sick, lol

Are you a BCer by birth? I have been in Ontario all my life not counting travel.
I remember in high school they got a motivational speaker to come give a speech who climbed Everest. The only reason I remember is because they said the summit was covered in frozen dead bodies of those who had failed and it creeped me out.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:15 pm

Luigi wrote:Are you a BCer by birth? I have been in Ontario all my life not counting travel.
I remember in high school they got a motivational speaker to come give a speech who climbed Everest. The only reason I remember is because they said the summit was covered in frozen dead bodies of those who had failed and it creeped me out.

Yeah I was born near Campbell River, lived most of my youth there.

The dead bodies is real, they are specifically instructed NOT to help anyone past a certain point. If you see someone dying you are supposed to just keep moving. Also, no one apparently removes them. Supposedly the whole top is littered with empty O2 bottles and frozen dead dudes lol

Plus they all come back with frostbite injuries etc. Most are barely even lucid enough to enjoy the view at the top.

Its crazy man

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:02 pm

Luigi wrote:
Masato wrote:Luigi that is awesome, You tell your tale well (but the cows line at the end ruined me lol)

Are you a BCer by birth? I have been in Ontario all my life not counting travel.

to be fair, they wouldn't be at the summit if they failed.

just sayin'
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:26 pm

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:45 am

^^ I like how skulls always look happy.

Return to “Anarchy Zone”