SOLO

A True Open Forum; Share/Discuss whatever you like
Masato
Site Admin

SOLO

Postby Masato » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:01 pm

Who has seen it?

Anyone here wanna geek out with me and discuss? Lots of questions and ideas, I thought it was pretty cool.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:11 pm

Seriously you guys are missing out. Really cool film, lots of nostalgia if you like the Han Solo/Chewbacca characters and lore.

Directed by Ron Howard!

I heard they fired some other directors early in the project because they didn't agree with their vision or whatever. They hired Howard to come in and save it, also Empire SB writer Lawrence Kasdan, who is badass.

The main Luke/Leia story I think is going sideways, but I am predicting some of these new spinoff films to be really great. They are learning from the Marvel Universe model how to string films together in a giant timeline, it looks like the same thing will happen here, lots of backstory and characters to explore everywhere.

Can someone get this hook out of my mouth? I complain so much about Hollywood and social programming and I;m sure the SW films are ripe with it but FFS I enjoyed that film lol

The Anti-Archon

Postby The Anti-Archon » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:51 pm

I saw it and liked it. Swore I wasn't going to because of how much I hated the Last Jedi, but there my wife and I were minus my daughter who was on a camping trip on a rainy Saturday with my five-year-old son and all three of us dug it. Closest thing to Star Wars in a really long time. The main guy is no Harrison Ford, but I liked Woody Harrelson and Khaleesi. Childish Landino was just ok, but Paul Bettany's bad guy was really good. Chewbacca was the best actor of them all, of course. Two enthusiastic thumbs up from my five-year-old who is giving his Best Chewbacca in a Motion Picture award to him. All around a good popcorn flick that doesn't take itself too seriously. What more can you ask for on a rainy Memorial Day weekend?

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:40 pm

The Anti-Archon wrote:I saw it and liked it. Swore I wasn't going to because of how much I hated the Last Jedi, but there my wife and I were minus my daughter who was on a camping trip on a rainy Saturday with my five-year-old son and all three of us dug it. Closest thing to Star Wars in a really long time. The main guy is no Harrison Ford, but I liked Woody Harrelson and Khaleesi. Childish Landino was just ok, but Paul Bettany's bad guy was really good. Chewbacca was the best actor of them all, of course. Two enthusiastic thumbs up from my five-year-old who is giving his Best Chewbacca in a Motion Picture award to him. All around a good popcorn flick that doesn't take itself too seriously. What more can you ask for on a rainy Memorial Day weekend?

Yeah a good ride. I'm looking forward to the new KENOBI flick coming.

I really like the idea of multiple stories al crossing over and intersecting, a seed from one will payoff in another, etc. That shit is fun.

I remember there were 2 books designed like this that impressed the hell out of me; Tales from Jabba's palace, and tales from Mos Eisley Cantina.

Both were series of short stories of all the crazy mofos that appear in those 2 scenes, explaining how they got there, what are they doing there, and every story intersects exactly during the moments that we see in the films. They had 1 main author guy overseeing the whole project, making sure things were consistent, and he did an excellent job. The books were so fun because the more stories you read, the more seeds and payoffs you would puzzle together, and it just got cooler and cooler. Jokes in later stories that are only funny because you read the earlier tale, etc. All stories were in a strategic order.

I never read too many Star Wars books but these ones IMO were total genius. Then go back and watch those 2 scenes again from the films and they come to life

Som-Pong

Postby Som-Pong » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:53 am

Fuck it, I'll give it a watch.

Jehannum

Postby Jehannum » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:00 pm

I felt Khaleesi's character was shoehorned in and she looked so out of place much like she did in Terminator Genisys.

The card game could've been a lot more interesting too, if you're going to include fanservice you should at least do it justice. I kinda liked the "lesson" near the end though that related to Han's controversial killing of Greedo, and it also kicked that alternate Greedo scene to the kerb where it belongs.

The female robot was hilarious and one of the highlights for me.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:14 pm

Jehannum wrote:

Yes a great character but did you notice all the stuff about equal rights for droids, and her relationship w/ Lando? There was even a strange joke in there where the droid and Han's girlfriend are talking about sexual compatibility between humans and droids where she says 'it works' or something like that... was very weird imo

Disney is propaganda, don't forget that no matter how great some of their films may be. I sensed some drops in this film warming us up to AI and transhumanism but maybe its just my tinfoil talkin :D

Jehannum

Postby Jehannum » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:29 pm

Masato wrote:
Jehannum wrote:

Yes a great character but did you notice all the stuff about equal rights for droids, and her relationship w/ Lando? There was even a strange joke in there where the droid and Han's girlfriend are talking about sexual compatibility between humans and droids where she says 'it works' or something like that... was very weird imo

Disney is propaganda, don't forget that no matter how great some of their films may be. I sensed some drops in this film warming us up to AI and transhumanism but maybe its just my tinfoil talkin :D

she was talking as if she was a compatible species with Lando and that it was other more human issues that made them incompatible as "lovers"

she sounded like a woman in love (and in obvious denial) which I felt was the main point behind that scene, but she was also fighting for robot rights which...well I'm not sure where that fits in but it's an interesting point. She had her governor removed (she mentions other robots having them) and ofc R2-D2 surely has had his own governor removed by too which is what makes him undisciplined and/or unruly :) to me she felt like a female version of C3P0 with the freedom of R2-D2

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:09 pm

^^ what do you think could/should have been embellished about the card game (sabaac, right?) Was there some more backstory to that history?

Jehannum

Postby Jehannum » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:31 pm

Masato wrote:^^ what do you think could/should have been embellished about the card game (sabaac, right?) Was there some more backstory to that history?

well we all know Han wins the millenium falcon from Lando in a game of sabacc, I just expected the game (or the scenes) to be more involved I guess. Also the cheating device Lando used was so blatant that there's no way he would've gotten away with it, plus he was walking around with it up his sleeve all the time. I just can't picture a group of killers that aren't savvy enough to keep watch for cheating given that they are all over that kind of thing in our reality. The fact that no other characters really stood out during the card game suggests the scenes were cut significantly (to me)

I like this one from Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, and I remember another great poker scene but can't think which film.

Return to “Anarchy Zone”