Will D&D make my kids nerds?

A True Open Forum; Share/Discuss whatever you like
Megaterio Llamas

Re: Will D&D make my kids nerds?

Postby Megaterio Llamas » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:56 am

Geez, you know, I had heard of Dungeons and Dragons for many years but I never really met anyone in real life that played it. Don't really even know what it is. And it turns out all of you are players? I'll be honest; I'm shocked. In my day a boy would never consider getting dressed up in a costume and playing make believe (if that's actually what is going on?). You'd have been considered light in the loafers for certain if word ever got out.

Course, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it. I mean, it's a new age. Men are more sensitive these days. Especially white men. I completely get it. I mean, I'm hip :)

It's everyone except me and Canuckster isn't it fellas?
el rey del mambo

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:57 pm

Megaterio Llamas wrote:Geez, you know, I had heard of Dungeons and Dragons for many years but I never really met anyone in real life that played it. Don't really even know what it is. And it turns out all of you are players? I'll be honest; I'm shocked. In my day a boy would never consider getting dressed up in a costume and playing make believe (if that's actually what is going on?). You'd have been considered light in the loafers for certain if word ever got out.

Course, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it. I mean, it's a new age. Men are more sensitive these days. Especially white men. I completely get it. I mean, I'm hip :)

lol Its a board game, people don't dress up. See the meme on page 1.

Som-Pong

Postby Som-Pong » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:40 am

Megaterio Llamas wrote:Geez, you know, I had heard of Dungeons and Dragons for many years but I never really met anyone in real life that played it. Don't really even know what it is. And it turns out all of you are players? I'll be honest; I'm shocked. In my day a boy would never consider getting dressed up in a costume and playing make believe (if that's actually what is going on?). You'd have been considered light in the loafers for certain if word ever got out.

You ignant.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:59 pm

I am with you Mega, I have never played the game either.

But about to lose that virginity/dignity soon, lol

Life so fuckin busy, haven't found a simple 2-3 hours to get the gang all together play yet but that's OK cuz I still don't know WTF I am doing lol

I also wonder honestly about adults essentially playing make-believe. I wouldn't be doing this but for my kids/parental motivation.

Is such kind of recreation really juvenile/infantile? Or is this a social stigma that has perhaps robbed us of something pure and human and perhaps even healthy? I am always a strong advocate of being creative, I think writing stories is high art, admire live theater and have spent many hours creating my own stories writing scripts etc, - so then why something like RPG games have this aura/rep of being so weird or embarrassing? (or at least my perception of it) - What's the difference?

Was hanging with a good friend last night who I KNOW was a DnD expert in his younger days. I dared not tell him I was planning to do the Starter set with my kids for fears of unleashing a flood of all I fear lol

Som-Pong

Postby Som-Pong » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:46 am

Weird insecurities. When I was a kid video games were considered nerdy.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:53 pm

Som-Pong wrote:Weird insecurities. When I was a kid video games were considered nerdy.

Really? Was this in Sweden?

Interesting, when I was a kid video games were the best thing ever, and I'm guessing we're not much far apart in age

Its all perception/social circles I guess

re; weird insecurities, you may be right, I learn much from you Som thanks :D

I'll keep you posted how the first session goes

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:47 pm

Gamers were nerds, everywhere
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:53 pm

Canuckster wrote:Gamers were nerds, everywhere

video gamers, or RPGers?

As nerdy as I may be/have nothing against such folk, I can't deny most RPG folk are still super awkward/weird folk

hence the OP for my kids

I'm not worried about me anymore, lol I haven't given a fuck how others perceive me for a long long time now

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:21 pm

Nerding can be spread across sci fi, gaming television, usually something that requires a more intellectual approach to appreciate.
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:28 pm

Canuckster wrote:usually something that requires a more intellectual approach to appreciate.

which is why I like nerds, they are fun and you can get into wacky ideas with them etc.

Also I find they tend to be honest with who they are and don't put up false-fronts/egos. That is nice sometimes to hang out with

Nerds who smoke weed are the gnarliest lol

Return to “Anarchy Zone”