Thoughts on coronavirus...

Politics, History, & 'Conspiracy'
Megaterio Llamas

Re: Thoughts on coronavirus...

Postby Megaterio Llamas » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:42 am

Russian ventilators sent to U.S. made by firm under U.S. sanctions: Russia newspaper

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/ ... ssion=true

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Ventilators delivered by Russia to the United States for coronavirus patients were manufactured by a Russian company that is under U.S. sanctions, Russia's RBC business daily reported on Friday.

A Russian military plane carrying the ventilators along with other medical supplies including personal protective equipment landed in New York on Wednesday after U.S. President Donald Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin spoke by phone.

Russian state television footage of the plane's unloading showed boxes of "Aventa-M" ventilators, which are produced by the Ural Instrument Engineering Plant (UPZ) in the city of Chelyabinsk, 1,500 km (930 miles) east of Moscow, RBC reported

UPZ is part of a holding company called Concern Radio-Electronic Technologies (KRET), which itself is a unit of Russian state conglomerate Rostec.

KRET has been under U.S. sanctions since July 2014, with U.S. firms and nationals barred from doing business with it.

The issue was further complicated by the question of whether it was the United States or Russia's sovereign wealth fund RDIF, which was added to U.S. sectoral sanctions in 2015, that paid for the ventilators.

A senior administration official on Friday said sanctions did not apply to medical supplies.

"The United States is purchasing the supplies and equipment outright, as with deliveries from other countries. The Russian Direct Investment Fund is subject to certain debt and equity-related sectoral sanctions, which would not apply to transactions for the provision of medical equipment and supplies," the official said.

The United States began imposing economic sanctions on Russia in 2014 to punish it for its annexation of Crimea from Ukraine and its backing for pro-Russian separatists in eastern Ukraine.

Additional rounds of sanctions have since been imposed on Moscow in response to its alleged meddling in the 2016 U.S. presidential elections and alleged involvement in the poisoning of former spy Sergei Skripal in Britain in 2018. Moscow denies both allegations.

On Wednesday, the U.S. State Department said Washington agreed to purchase the medical supplies but made no mention of any company or sanctions. The U.S. Embassy in Moscow said it had nothing to add beyond that statement.

The State Department on Friday did not have immediate comment on the sanctions question.

DEBATE OVER COST

Trump on Thursday described the Russian shipment as containing "a lot of medical, high-quality stuff" which could save a lot of lives and said he'd "take it every day" if he had the opportunity.

But debate over who picked up the tab persisted.

The Russian Foreign Ministry said Moscow had paid half the cost with the other half picked up by Washington, though the Trump administration official later said the United States had picked up the whole tab.

On Friday a spokesperson from the RDIF said the fund stood by its earlier statement that it had paid for half of the bill. The comments got another pushback from Washington.

The Trump administration official insisted the United States paid the entire cost of the shipment and dismissed the Russian investment fund's contention that the cost was split.

Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova expressed surprise and disappointment that anyone was questioning what Moscow has cast as a sincere goodwill gesture meant to help the United States at a time of crisis.

"Aren't ventilators needed in the United States?," she said, saying Russia could take them back if they were not wanted.

Rostec, the state conglomerate which ultimately owns the Russian ventilator plant, told Reuters that its units were producing ventilators for the domestic market as part of the Russian government's measures to fight the virus.

The decision to ship its products internationally was the prerogative of the Russian president and government, it said.

(Reporting by Gabrielle Tétrault-Farber and Gleb Stolyarov, additional reporting by Dmitry Zhdannikov and Steve Holland and Humeyra Pamuk in Washington,; Editing by Andrew Osborn, Angus MacSwan and Cynthia Osterman)
el rey del mambo

Megaterio Llamas

Postby Megaterio Llamas » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:53 am

The Blob Sucked Away Your Public Health And Gave You War Instead

Trillions down the drain for overseas operations and the national security state is still agitating for more.

https://www.theamericanconservative.com ... r-instead/
el rey del mambo

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:33 pm

Home depots been making people line up outside for a while now.
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Chris G

Postby Chris G » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:39 pm

Italy: the real number of COVID-19 cases in the country could be 5,000,0000 (compared to the 119,827 confirmed ones) according to a study which polled people with symptoms who have not been tested, and up to 10,000,000 or even 20,0000,000 after taking into account asymptomatic cases, according to Carlo La Vecchia, a Professor of Medical Statistics and Epidemiology at the Statale di Milano University.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... try/italy/

15.000 deaths / 5 million cases (most conservative estimate) = 0.003 exactly the same mortality rate as the flu.

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:44 pm

Link no work for me
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Chris G

Postby Chris G » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:57 pm

Canuckster wrote:Link no work for me

Should work now.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:26 pm

Megaterio Llamas wrote:Mimi Susli aka Syrian Girl is doing a run through of the various conspiracy theories around this outbreak.

Part one:

I love her. Looking forward to watching soon

My son got stopped by a police cruiser yesterday for playing basketball on our street yesterday. Told him to go inside.

My wife also got a threatening phone call same day for having her studio door open. She is closed to the public but she still goes there sometimes for personal reasons. Someone saw her and called threatening to call the cops.

Chris G

Postby Chris G » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:12 pm

Governments around the world all of a sudden have people clamoring for... More government!

We need you, Big Government! Who cares about debt, right now! They are literally going to tell people that Coronavirus pushed us all into financial ruin, governments included, but it is 'nobody's fault' and we just have to 'suck it up'.

Of course... It didn't have to be this way. But we aren't allowed to say they have bungled the Coronavirus response in any way. Nope.

Chris G

Postby Chris G » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:08 pm

I went to target earlier in the afternoon , at least 90% of people are wearing masks now.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:29 am

Yep more masks here too.

The supermarket here also just started this crazy thing with arrows made of tape all over the floor to ‘direct the flow of traffic for social distancing’ lol but it’s just sheer madness good luck following those arrows

Went for a hike with friends today. Saw 2 cops on the trails, we met so e folks who got a ticket for something I don’t know. Cops just hanging around the woods like child molesters. One even had his ticket book out. Absolutely bizarre

On a funnier note, I saw the longest outside 2m distance lineup today. Not the supermarket, not costco,not the bank... it was at the weed dispensary lol that lineup went all the way outside the plaza, up the street, and into the next plaza all the way through the parking lot. Must be at least 2 hours to get in specially if they are all stoners and take 20 minutes to make a transaction lol. Luckily my grower delivered my herb straight to my doorstep lol I would give up weed to avoid standing in that line

Return to “The Grand Chessboard”