Explain why these are racist?

A True Open Forum; Share/Discuss whatever you like
Shinkicker

Re: Explain why these are racist?

Postby Shinkicker » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:04 am

The family members of the Aunt Jemima model are mad as hell. They want to keep her.

Benwahwah

Postby Benwahwah » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:26 am

Masato wrote:OK lets try to figure out whats wrong with Uncle Ben

or the Cream of Wheat guy.

Both handsome looking fellows if you ask me

As the resident Lefty let me try and explain.

The problem is that it paints a rosy picture of the time that slavery was about. Uncle Ben looks very dignified as well you say, but is he representative of what black people experienced during that period? I imagine that rice farmers / slaves didn't have an easy life of it during that time, but Uncle Ben and the Cream of Wheat guy would make you think that these people took great pride in their work and enjoyed a good life.

I guess you could say that pictures like that are 'fake news' and people in general get annoyed by it. if that helps to make things clearer.

Personally I'm not really bothered about any of it, but I can see why people would be.

Megaterio Llamas

Postby Megaterio Llamas » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:14 am

Benwahwah wrote:

The problem is that it paints a rosy picture of the time that slavery was about. Uncle Ben looks very dignified as well you say, but is he representative of what black people experienced during that period? I imagine that rice farmers / slaves didn't have an easy life of it during that time, but Uncle Ben and the Cream of Wheat guy would make you think that these people took great pride in their work and enjoyed a good life.

I guess you could say that pictures like that are 'fake news' and people in general get annoyed by it. if that helps to make things clearer.

Personally I'm not really bothered about any of it, but I can see why people would be.

He's the stereotypical trusted elderly plantation manservant actually Ben. A house negro, a good 'boy.'

He's even called 'Uncle' Ben ffs. It's loaded language, an apparently innocent symbol that is actually carrying a ton of cultural baggage for Black Americans. Of course they needn't actually be ashamed of any of it but the dominant culture has made fun of it for centuries so they've become hyper sensitive about these things.

I bet no one expected this from me of all people :D
el rey del mambo

Benwahwah

Postby Benwahwah » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:27 am

Megaterio Llamas wrote:I bet no one expected this from me of all people :D

Thanks for a much better explanation 'Uncle' Mega. I thought it had to do with Song of the South and stuff like that, but your explanation seems much more likely.

Som-Pong

Postby Som-Pong » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:49 am

I thought uncle Ben was a restaurant owner?

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:41 pm

Benwahwah wrote:

Megaterio Llamas wrote:He's the stereotypical trusted elderly plantation manservant actually Ben. A house negro, a good 'boy.'

He's even called 'Uncle' Ben ffs. It's loaded language, an apparently innocent symbol that is actually carrying a ton of cultural baggage for Black Americans. Of course they needn't actually be ashamed of any of it but the dominant culture has made fun of it for centuries so they've become hyper sensitive about these things.

wow, thanks guys. Those are excellent. I can appreciate all those perspectives, very well said.

I'm still curious however where/how these particular branding changes became such a viral sensation - where did it start? Was it really some grassroots BLM activists who called it out with these sort of sentiments, and the MSM just picked up on the story? Or was it a media fabricated hype from the beginning that may not actually represent the average BLM concerns?

Would be curious how different black folks/BLM supporters think of these branding characters

Where's Vutu?

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:44 pm

PS: I thought Uncle Ben was the root of Spiderman's guilt issues

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:49 pm

Shinkicker wrote:The family members of the Aunt Jemima model are mad as hell. They want to keep her.

I wonder if the owners/founders of all these brands are african american or not. If it was a white company from the start using these images to who knows maybe pander to the black demographic for example I think that would be way more offensive than if the brands were founded and run by black families and perhaps these characters represented black capitalist success stories

I am too lazy and tired of race stuff to research lol

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:52 pm

Megaterio Llamas wrote:
Benwahwah wrote:

He's the stereotypical trusted elderly plantation manservant actually Ben. A house negro, a good 'boy.'

We had uncle Ben and aunt jemima, are these racist slang terms? Or are these simple brand names created for a product?
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:55 pm

So, from the uncle Ben's website itself.
The story goes that in the late 1940's, Gordon Harwell, one of the founders of Converted® Brand Rice, and his partner were dining in their favourite Chicago restaurant. They were discussing how they were going to market their product to new customers, they began to discuss the legendary Texan farmer, Uncle Ben who was known for his exceptionally high quality rice. So right there and then, they christened their product Uncle Ben’s® Converted Brand Rice. The face appearing on all Uncle Ben’s® packaging is that of Frank Brown, a maitre d'hotel (head waiter) at an exclusive Chicago restaurant who agreed to pose for the Uncle Ben’s® portrait.
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Return to “Anarchy Zone”