IRELAND roadtrip

A True Open Forum; Share/Discuss whatever you like
Masato
Site Admin

Re: IRELAND roadtrip

Postby Masato » Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:32 pm

Arrived back in Dublin after dark for our last night, but in time to see some of the nightlife. We found a room in a small hotel right near the best part of town for pubs. A great night:

dinner:

A great trip! :D :D still lingering, maybe forever

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:33 pm

The END ;)

theraskal

Postby theraskal » Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:27 pm

thanks for sharing Masato!

and for those who don't know "Jakers: The Adventures of Piggley Winks" is a great little animated series which can be enjoyed on the Roku Channel

Megaterio Llamas

Postby Megaterio Llamas » Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:31 am

Masato wrote:Arrived back in Dublin after dark for our last night, but in time to see some of the nightlife. We found a room in a small hotel right near the best part of town for pubs. A great night:

dinner:

A great trip! :D :D still lingering, maybe forever

I missed this one somehow Masato, looks like you had quite a trip.

Thanks for sharing the pictures.
el rey del mambo

Megaterio Llamas

Postby Megaterio Llamas » Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:43 am

Masato wrote:
Diet Butcher wrote:Hey Masato, if you go to Cork City, find and take a pic of 23 Washington Street. That used to be my family's restaurant address and we lived upstairs. I'm interested to see what it looks like now.

edit* I just googled. It's apparently a Burgerland now.

Hey dude, I went to the spot, I hope it's right cuz I didn't see no burger place. It's a Turkish kebab shop.

Is this it??

Oh yeah I got a 40euro parking ticket scoring that pic for ya bud :D lol

Is that the place DB?
el rey del mambo

Diet Butcher

Postby Diet Butcher » Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:07 am

Megaterio Llamas wrote:
Masato wrote:
Diet Butcher wrote:Hey Masato, if you go to Cork City, find and take a pic of 23 Washington Street. That used to be my family's restaurant address and we lived upstairs. I'm interested to see what it looks like now.

edit* I just googled. It's apparently a Burgerland now.

Hey dude, I went to the spot, I hope it's right cuz I didn't see no burger place. It's a Turkish kebab shop.

Is this it??

Oh yeah I got a 40euro parking ticket scoring that pic for ya bud :D lol

Is that the place DB?

At first I wasn't sure. But then, the video confirmed it. I remember the courthouse across the street.

So it's a kebab place now, and it's still red!

My dad used to take us on day trips to Kinsale quite often in the summer. My brothers and mom played at the beach while my dad went hunting in the woods. Sometimes we'll come back with rabbit for dinner :D

Are you gonna pay that parking ticket masato?

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:55 pm

Diet Butcher wrote:

At first I wasn't sure. But then, the video confirmed it. I remember the courthouse across the street.

My dad used to take us on day trips to Kinsale quite often in the summer. My brothers and mom played at the beach while my dad went hunting in the woods. Sometimes we'll come back with rabbit for dinner :D

Hey that's great it's the right place!
I love going down memory lane if I can. Glad I found it :D

I think I'll pay the ticket, I'm a bit paranoid of interest and getting hit with huge bills later. Plus the parking guy was nice he said he doesn't ticket twice so we could stay parked for as long as we wanted lol

Kinsale is awesome, I would go there for day trips too :D
Sounds like a good chapter for ya

Diet Butcher

Postby Diet Butcher » Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:57 pm

Masato wrote:
Diet Butcher wrote:

Hey that's great it's the right place!
I love going down memory lane if I can. Glad I found it :D

I think I'll pay the ticket, I'm a bit paranoid of interest and getting hit with huge bills later. Plus the parking guy was nice he said he doesn't ticket twice so we could stay parked for as long as we wanted lol

Kinsale is awesome, I would go there for day trips too :D
Sounds like a good chapter for ya

That's awesome that you found it! All the pics are amazing! I did not appreciate it when I was living there, but now looking at the pics, Irish cities and towns has so much character! I'd love to back for a visit now... even though all my old friends from primary (grade) school have all left.

Which city or town is your favourite? Did you recognize any of the accents from the video I posted? Did you come across any gypsy boxers? What was your favourite food there?

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:25 pm

Diet Butcher wrote:
That's awesome that you found it! All the pics are amazing! I did not appreciate it when I was living there, but now looking at the pics, Irish cities and towns has so much character! I'd love to back for a visit now... even though all my old friends from primary (grade) school have all left.

Which city or town is your favourite? Did you recognize any of the accents from the video I posted? Did you come across any gypsy boxers? What was your favourite food there?

Dude I am completely enchanted with the place. I always was from a distance for several reasons, but going there just made it more clear. The music and history and landscapes I just feel at home there its kind of weird.

My favourite was the first place we stayed, that town Graiguenamanagh in Kilkenny County.

Maybe it was because it was 1st impressions

Another reason I went was for research for a screenplay I'm writing. I have a town and a house and pub in my mind for the story, and I was sort of hunting for it and that first town and countryside was pretty much it.

Kinsale was awesome. Limerick was cool, Killarney was cool

Mostly I don't like the bigger cities, I was much happier exploring little towns and countryside.

They drive CRAZY there. Opposite side of the road aside, the highways are great but off the highways the roads are NARROW, often with stone walls on either side, and the limit is 80km/hr. Cars are ripping through these skinny little roads that wind and curve all kinds of directions. They either have a high accident rate, or they are very good drivers. I often found spots to pull over and let people pass cuz it was too fuckin scary to try to keep up lol

I did see a Gypsy funeral.
We caught it right in time by pure luck as we were entering an old castle in Athlone.
They were all dressed in traditional black, men had top-hats, some on horseback, and an old carriage carrying the casket. Holding a photo of the guy saying 'Our King' (?)
I had just bought a ticket to go see the castle, and there was this old Irish man at the gate, watching. I asked if he knew the guy, and he laughed and said 'no'. Then he told me they were a gypsy clan. But he said they don't travel around like the old days but they are part of a family line or clan I guess and they have their ways that differed from the old man.
"Education" he said was key. He said its natural to fear what we don't understand, so he said we need to listen to each other more, try to understand differences. Cool guy

I recognized no accents that I could match to any geography. But I did hear a range of thicknesses I suppose. Some were crazy thick, others much more americanized or subtle.
I was impressed to hear that apparently more and more people are speaking Gaelic again. For a long while the British made it illegal to speak or write it, but now all signs are biligual, with Gaelic FIRST. The kids learn it in school and there seems to be a cultural effort to make it stronger. We met a few who were proud to speak it

Food is nothing to shout about. Best food we had were maybe in italian restaurants lol
I don't care much for the meat pies or stews etc. They served a lot of plates that lookd just like my Grandmother's farm cooking; roast meat of some sort, cooked vegetables, potatoes, gravy etc. That's good hearty food I understand but not my pick when eating out.
We actually ate quite light to save on money so maybe I missed on stuff
Also a Guinness can sometimes count as a meal :D

Diet Butcher

Postby Diet Butcher » Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:45 am

Masato wrote:
We are just in time for a huge FREE PALESTINE march. we were just strolling along and suddenly the very front of the line came up behind me.

Return to “Anarchy Zone”