MMA, BJJ, & The Martial Arts
Masato
Site Admin

Ramon Dekkers vs Coban: "The Fight That Changed The World"

Postby Masato » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:55 am

Nice little bit of storytelling here:

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:37 pm

Okay to address some inaccuracies, he was the first Farang to beat a reigning Lumpinee champ, but not the first foreigner. That distinction goes to a Japanese guy who fought in the 70s whos name I can never remember. It also says he won fighter of the year in Thailand and this claim gets thrown around a lot, but it seems unlikely and I have never seen it substantiated. Also all these videos tend to make it seem like he lost all those decisions because the Thais were out to screw him over, but its just their scoring system that is influenced by gamblers. Its not intuitive, but it is very consistent and Dekkers fights are no exception.

Its a shame they never fought a fifth time, they ended their careers with 2 wins each.

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:58 pm

Luigi wrote:Okay to address some inaccuracies, he was the first Farang to beat a reigning Lumpinee champ, but not the first foreigner. That distinction goes to a Japanese guy who fought in the 70s whos name I can never remember. It also says he won fighter of the year in Thailand and this claim gets thrown around a lot, but it seems unlikely and I have never seen it substantiated. Also all these videos tend to make it seem like he lost all those decisions because the Thais were out to screw him over, but its just their scoring system that is influenced by gamblers. Its not intuitive, but it is very consistent and Dekkers fights are no exception.

Its a shame they never fought a fifth time, they ended their careers with 2 wins each.

- Looks like a good way the ride in the sunshine.

- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Som-Pong

Postby Som-Pong » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:03 am

Excellent post Luigi. I'm starting to get the hang of the gambling system, it's tricky but extremely consistent.

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:23 am

I know the basic idea is to raise your fingers with the odds you want until you see someone else with the same odds for the other side, then you make eye contact and its on.

Or did you mean the scoring system? Just from my experience watching fights it seems to be something like:

Flush head kick>Back take>sweep>body kick>knee>>elbow>>leg kick>>punch

I think the idea is that the shots that are easiest to tell if they landed are prioritized to minimize subjectivity. The problem I have with this system though is that all the elite stadium guys are too good to get caught with a flush head kick, back take or sweep, so pretty much every elite fight becomes a body kick/knee contest.

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:51 pm

Here is a video of Samart(MT GOAT) explaining(with subtitles) how the gamblers have fucked up the judging:

Som-Pong

Postby Som-Pong » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:01 am

Heh, I dig that none of the swearing is translated.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:55 pm

^ lol

Give us an example... how do they translate?

Som-Pong

Postby Som-Pong » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:15 am

He says "fuck a monitor lizard" in BKK slang a few times. Sounds almost like 7-8 (jet, Pedt) I didn't catch the context since I mostly check the subs since my English is much better than my Thai. Monitor Lizard is basically the "Fuck" of Thai.

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:44 pm

"Fuck a monitor lizard" -Samart Payakaroon.

Return to “Super Dojo”