Glory 20: Dubai

MMA, BJJ, & The Martial Arts
Luigi

Glory 20: Dubai

Postby Luigi » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:46 pm

Was last night, I watched it on Spike tv with my friends. Amazing event!

Spoiler:
Gabriel Varga made his fellow Canadians proud! Mosab Amrani is such a beast and its crazy Gabriel beat him and won the title. It would be great to see him fight Kaew Fairtex and Noiri eventually.

I was also impressed by Simon Marcus, he would have been the favorite to win a few months ago, but when God of Death knocked him out I was worried it might have really messed him up. Glad I was wrong and he won the tournament.

And damnnnnn Robin van Roosmalen is such a beast. Most people thought Ristie was going to KO him again but he absolutely smashed Ristie! Its crazy to see this 5'6'' guy dominating elite 155 pounders. RvR is like the Frankie Edgar of kickboxing.

Did anyone else watch the event?

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:28 pm

- Didn't knew about that event. :(
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:48 am

I don't watch enough Glory

I've seen a couple shows and they absolutely blew my mind. Makes UFC stand-up look like pillowfights.

I need to learn more about some of the characters and stars, help me get some good names to follow.
I like good story lines and personalities, underdogs etc

Som-Pong

Postby Som-Pong » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:50 am

Hope Ristie won. Something about Roosmalen rubs me the wrong way. Will watch as soon as I can.

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:28 am

Masato wrote:I don't watch enough Glory

I've seen a couple shows and they absolutely blew my mind. Makes UFC stand-up look like pillowfights.

I need to learn more about some of the characters and stars, help me get some good names to follow.
I like good story lines and personalities, underdogs etc

Here is a basic breakdown. Feel free to ask me any questions if you want more info.

Spoiler:
The biggest name right now is Gokhan Saki, who was a great fighter in some of the later K-1 events, but was always undersized against the heavyweights. When Glory made the 209 lbs weight class he became the champion and an instant star. He has an intense rivalry with Tyrone Spong, one of the other biggest names in Glory who is the clear cut second best fighter at 95kg. Spong has been out with a shin injury for about a year and is just coming back now, so Saki has been the king for a while.

My personal favorite division is 186 lbs, where its a total shark tank of evenly matched guys who always have all out wars. The current Champ is the Russian Artem Levin, but the American Joe Schilling and Jamaican-Canadian Simon Marcus are really close behind him and also great fighters. What makes this division even crazier is that Simon Marcus went to China to fight their best fighter, Fang "The God of Death" Bian, and he knocked Marcus out. So this Chinese guy might just come to Glory and wreck everyone.

The 168 lbs champ is Bazooka Joe Valtellini, but most think Nieky Holzken is better and will smash him at the next glory event.

At 154 the biggest name is Georgio Petrosyan. He ruled the division for years before he was KO'd by Andy Ristie(one of the guys from this event). The KO really messed Petro up and he took a really long layoff. He is just coming back now and is ranked n.4 in the division. Then Ristie got KO'd by Davit Kyria, and Kyria lost the belt to Robin van Roosmalen(other guy from this event). Ristie and van Roosmalen just had their much anticipated fight. The result is in the spoiler tags in the OP if you want to know who won.

The lowest weight class is 144 lbs and Im pretty sure the Mosab Amrani won it the first time they made the division, he fought the awesome young star Gabriel Varga for the title at Glory 20, the result is also in the OP spoiler section.

I didnt really get into heavyweights because the division is a mess right now. The biggest name is Badr Hari, but he is fighting in an Arabian league taking easy fights for big pay checks. He will probably never get into Glory because he is a known criminal, steroid user, and has a history of getting disqualified for being a dirty fighter. The current champion is Rico Verhoeven, but he just got beat by Andrei Gerasimchuk when he took the fight with another league between title defenses to stay active. We still dont know if Gerasimchuk is the best or just got lucky. He still isnt signed to Glory. There is also the issue that Rico has an intense rivalry with Daniel Ghita, they fought twice and both were controversial decisions with Rico winning.

So ya, thats pretty much it.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:20 pm

^ thank you Luigi!

You guys are awesome

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:07 pm

If you havnt seen the event yet, Glory just posted it on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... p2dgKg4S6M

Return to “Super Dojo”