Strength & conditioning discussion thread

MMA, BJJ, & The Martial Arts
Masato
Site Admin

Strength & conditioning discussion thread

Postby Masato » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:16 am

Diet - describe the knee pain better please

For a long time I had a terrible pain in my left knee... but not the joint itself; not inside but right on top of the kneecap. Sharp, shooting pain it felt like close to the surface.

Now I'm doing more BJJ and its really gotten a lot better. I gave my knees a pounding when I was younger, lots of snowboarding and stupid jumping games lol. Split the bad knee open once but never broke (?) I am super grateful to see them still basically functional, I was ready to give up on them just a few years ago.

The only other thing I know about is Hip Flexor muscles;

For years I couldn't do BJJ because the inside groin area was fuckin SORE, and I could barely bend over just to pick things up or put socks on etc. My stupid doctor thought it was a hernia, but she was wrong. No one else could help.

Turns out I just had this weird habit of sitting on my foot at work. I didn't even realize I do it, I just did it naturally. This shifted the right hip flexor into a terrbile position, and I guess I'd been doing this unconsciously for years. As soon as I became aware of it and changed it, the pain considerably left and I could bend more again.

But generally, having a job at a computer like I do is basically fucked if you do it for long periods of time.
SITTING shortens all those hip flexor muscles, and then when you try to use them they are all shrunk down and can't perform.

Now I stretch more, and like I said getting back to BJJ recently has helped everything. I am stronger and more flexible than I have been in maybe 10 years

Diet Butcher

Postby Diet Butcher » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:24 am

Lord Vutulaki wrote:
Diet Butcher wrote:I think I have quadriceps tendonitis (pain right above the kneecaps). It's a bitch cuz I can't do deep squats or lunges anymore. My leg days are fucked.

Yeah can you describe the pain in more detail?

I have access to some very knowledgeable s&c guys plus a few physiotherapist in my extended family.

Let's get you squatting big numbers by xmas bro. I was told by a doctor that I would never squat again and im nearing 2x body weight now for my 1rm.

I promise ill get you right. Plus im working from home now so this will be a good project to learn me some stuffs about anatomy not to mention prehab for squatting.

It's a stiff, sharp pain at the top of the patella (used to be just the left, now its both). I feel it every morning when I get out of bed. I start to feel it when I bend my knees at 45 degrees or more. Also, running on a threadmill, I'd feel the pain at around 10 minutes in.

It used to be a hamstring tendon injury I had, which got better when I went to a bonesetter who my father knew. Now the hammy is fine and the pain has migrated to the front. I feel it when walking up or down the stairs, but the worst is when I lunge. If I do a set of lunges, working through the pain, I'd be limping for a couple of days. Half-squats and dead lifts are no problem though.

Diet Butcher

Postby Diet Butcher » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:43 am

Masato wrote:

But generally, having a job at a computer like I do is basically fucked if you do it for long periods of time.
SITTING shortens all those hip flexor muscles, and then when you try to use them they are all shrunk down and can't perform.

Now I stretch more, and like I said getting back to BJJ recently has helped everything. I am stronger and more flexible than I have been in maybe 10 years

Yeah, I try to stretch my hip flexors every day for 45 seconds each side. Haven't done it in a while though.... tight hips also makes your gut stick out more. So, stretch them hips!

Megaterio Llamas

Postby Megaterio Llamas » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:23 pm

He who questions training only trains himself at asking questions.
el rey del mambo

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:53 pm

yeah and the anatomy of that guy with teh quadriceps tendonitis is really goofy lookin

he all wobbly n shit

Vutulaki-san

Postby Vutulaki-san » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:16 pm

Try this. When you sit down raise one foot at a time with the knee fully extended then externally rotate the raised foot and hold for a minute or however long you can take.

Make sense?

Daglord

Postby Daglord » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:05 pm

IN. always hitting plateaus with my workout, even when switching it up.

kind of always did my own thing @ the gym with good results.

I'm a superset kind of guy who is told that I work too hard @ the gym.

trying to go the "less is more" route.

Vutulaki-san

Postby Vutulaki-san » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:46 pm

That's my favorite lift.

I got orangutan arms. I dropped it for months but my squat numbers are up so I decided to start deadlifting again.

You want to bend the bar around your shins, remember that it's a push movement as well so push your feet through the ground and try and snap your spine backwards. Hold your breath until lockout.

Diet Butcher

Postby Diet Butcher » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:44 pm

Lord Vutulaki wrote:Try this. When you sit down raise one foot at a time with the knee fully extended then externally rotate the raised foot and hold for a minute or however long you can take.

Make sense?

Yup. I feel the stretch right where the pain is. Thanks mate.

penxv

Postby penxv » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:15 pm

I've started doing much of my lifting while balancing on an upside down Bosu ball now that the lady at the front desk lets me lift with my shoes off. She was nice enough about it, I guess.
In terms of efficiency of movement and space in a gym, you can't beat it. I can alternate between bench, clean, clean and press, and deadlift all while occupying the same space.

Clean and press on the Bosu ball is a little bit dangerous and I don't recommend it unless you've been practicing balance with an assortment of dumbbell exercises first.

Return to “Super Dojo”