Come Join Us At Shaolin

MMA, BJJ, & The Martial Arts
robbstar

Come Join Us At Shaolin

Postby robbstar » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:06 pm

Masato wrote:Hey Robbstar, when you say 'students', what do you mean? What sort of a teacher are you?

I teach saturday morning drawing/comic classes and have learned much respect for how difficult it is to be a good teacher, and find the artform intriguing

I am a teacher of curiosity and dreams.lol
I take a grappling class and part of a MMA class at my local club. Just been doing it a while, passing on my fat man skills to the youth. Mainly just fundamentals, core principals - A mixture of wrestling, Catch as catch can , bjj and dirty bastard technique all tailored for MMA not BJJ comps. I always try to teach some real open minded spiritual stuff in every class:)

but I have worked in schools before with children with learning difficulties ( teaching social skills) , taught archery and survival skills in the wilderness (to disadvantaged kids) and lectured the masses about london on the open top buses. I have been around the block .ahhaha Nothing worse than sitting on the varanda when you reach 70 (if i make it) and having nothing to remember.

wiz cool c

Postby wiz cool c » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:10 am

Masato wrote:FOR WIZ COOL C:

1. Did you watch old Shaw Brothers films, and is this a big part of your inspiration to do what you're doing?

2. At what age did you commit to this plan?

3. Do you live there fulltime now? Do you speak whatever dialect they speak there?

4. How do you see Western Culture from a shaolin perspective?

5. What confirmations or illusions were revealed when you went to experience the real thing?

1.Yes when I was a young teen growing up in long island, they used to play them every Saturday at 3pm on channel 5. I used to smoke a blunt[don’t smoke anymore] sit in this big hammock type seat I had and watch one. After I would go out in my back yard and practice karate[no kung fu schools at the time]

2.Since my early teens I have dreamed of living in Asia and studying with the masters there.

3.Yes I have been living in China full time for over 8 years. I speak mandarin, but to be honest it is not great.

4.Shaolin is deeply connected to Buddhism and in Buddhism they are not quick to judge others. A big difference is from a western martial art perspective, and what is going on over in America these days. First off the Shaolin students live and train full time. In china many times people are put into careers, jobs, school, based on economics and other factors. So where in America one may choose martial arts as a way of life or career. In china your parents might choose this for them. With that said, I do feel the children and young students at Shaolin are genuinely happy doing what they do.

5.I have been in china a long time now. my frst few years were in Beijing studying Baguazhang and Shuai Jiao[Chinese wrestling] When you travel to china as a tourist ,and pay good money to train with some old high level master they treat you like gold. You may feel it is 100% genuine but unfortunately it is not always. There is a lot of greed in the martial art business here, even at the Shaolin temple. Which is why I prefer to train in the schools surrounding the main temple, and not within the temple walls.

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:54 am

- I was watching tiger style yesterday and got thinking about it, but cound't find a wiki page about it.
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Diet Butcher

Postby Diet Butcher » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:45 am

Edge, try googling "Fu Jow Pai" (Tiger Claw Style).

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:51 am

Diet Butcher wrote:Edge, try googling "Fu Jow Pai" (Tiger Claw Style).

- Thank you man.^^

Is there a lion stylle?
I loved the videos on the tiger stille.
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:22 am

Thanks for the answers, Wiz!!

How was your experience quitting weed?

I smoke tons but am starting to see that in many ways it might be holding me back. But I love it so much and it has been married to so many parts of my life I find it difficult to extract

I am dry this week, we'll see how it goes :D

- Do you enjoy the ideas of Buddhism? Do you meditate?

wiz cool c

Postby wiz cool c » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:25 pm

For me it wasn’t just weed, I got into bigger and bader things like dust for example. if I had just smoked weed it probably never would have became a problem unfortunately for me it did. I was trying to quit unsuccessfully for a while and then had a job interview that required a drug test. I had a couple weeks notice so stayed clean for it, and said to myself [let me try to just stay clean],and it worked.

I have been into Hinduism for 27 years now that includes being a vegetarian for that long. Hinduism and Buddhism have many similarities. In fact we are moving to Henan[the City of Shaolin ] from Shenzhen within a month or so to live there and open a vegetarian restaurant partnering up with my friend Pro fighter Yao Honggang [his little brother Yao Zhi Kui is fighting in a UFC event in Korea in a couple of days[zhikui vs Serrano].

http://www.ufc.com/event/ufc-fight-nigh ... korea-2015

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:32 pm

robbstar wrote:
Masato wrote:Hey Robbstar, when you say 'students', what do you mean? What sort of a teacher are you?

I teach saturday morning drawing/comic classes and have learned much respect for how difficult it is to be a good teacher, and find the artform intriguing

I am a teacher of curiosity and dreams.lol
I take a grappling class and part of a MMA class at my local club. Just been doing it a while, passing on my fat man skills to the youth. Mainly just fundamentals, core principals - A mixture of wrestling, Catch as catch can , bjj and dirty bastard technique all tailored for MMA not BJJ comps. I always try to teach some real open minded spiritual stuff in every class:)

but I have worked in schools before with children with learning difficulties ( teaching social skills) , taught archery and survival skills in the wilderness (to disadvantaged kids) and lectured the masses about london on the open top buses. I have been around the block .ahhaha Nothing worse than sitting on the varanda when you reach 70 (if i make it) and having nothing to remember.

that is badass man

keep growing tha light man

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:48 pm

wiz cool c wrote:For me it wasn’t just weed, I got into bigger and bader things like dust for example. if I had just smoked weed it probably never would have became a problem unfortunately for me it did. I was trying to quit unsuccessfully for a while and then had a job interview that required a drug test. I had a couple weeks notice so stayed clean for it, and said to myself [let me try to just stay clean],and it worked.

I have been into Hinduism for 27 years now that includes being a vegetarian for that long. Hinduism and Buddhism have many similarities. In fact we are moving to Henan[the City of Shaolin ] from Shenzhen within a month or so to live there and open a vegetarian restaurant partnering up with my friend Pro fighter Yao Honggang [his little brother Yao Zhi Kui is fighting in a UFC event in Korea in a couple of days[zhikui vs Serrano].

http://www.ufc.com/event/ufc-fight-nigh ... korea-2015

What are your thoughts on drug habits looking back?

What parts of Hinduism do you find attractive? Do you relate to the many deities and symbolisms? Read some of the old texts? What do you think of characters like Yogananda?

Have you ever felt when meeting any of the Shaolin monks that they had achieved any such heightened powers or abilities as in the legends?

thanks again for sharing man

wiz cool c

Postby wiz cool c » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:06 pm

Quitting drugs was the best thing I have ever done in my life, but I honestly think weed is pretty harmless, as long as it doesn’t work as a gateway drug.

Since I was young I believed people gifted or fortunate in this lifetime, had such things cause of past good deeds ,and those misfortunate were in their situation because of past bad deeds. I also always wondered what the meaning of our life and existence on this planet was. Those answers were not given in school. I tried reading the Bible, but was still left scratching my head. It wasn’t till I read books like the Bhagavad Gita and Srimad Bagavatam that the answers to life were revealed.

At Shaolin the students train all day, like a full time job, so their skill level at what they do is pretty high. As we all know they don’t spend all their time fighting but perfecting body conditioning and depend on the student and teacher a specific skill. Some may focus on forms, some on hard body skills, some on Sanshou [Chinese kickboxing]. I have seen some cool hard body skill that and other skills that are very impressive. In less than two months my wife and I will be living there full time, I’m sure I will have a lot more stories to tell at that time.

Return to “Super Dojo”