Changes at my BJJ Club (Kids class)

MMA, BJJ, & The Martial Arts
Masato
Site Admin

Changes at my BJJ Club (Kids class)

Postby Masato » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:08 pm

Hey all

As some of you know, my 8 year old son has been training regularly at this club for over 2 years now. Getting better, he trains about 3 times a week consistently. I train there too, though not as much :oops:

We both love the place, good vibes, good jitz, close to home, nice kids class. I've been making friends with several of the parents, this Saturday a bunch of us are all carpooling on a 3 hr drive to a BJJ tournament with all the kids.

But yesterday I came in to bring my son to class, and the couch/chairs where the parents sit are all gone. I find a seat against the wall and the Jr instructor tells me that parents have to wait out in the lobby now.

WTF.

I was pissed, went out for a skate to clear my head while the class was over.

I asked the teacher about it he said its new policy. He stated 2 reasons:
1. Had trouble with parents not getting along or interfering with class. (I had never seen this in 2+ years)
2. Needed the space to expand their weights area

I came home and talked to the missus, who surprisingly was sympathetic to them, saying when you teach kids classes it can be difficult when the parents are all hanging around. Many other extra-curricular programs are the same; swimming, dancing, etc; parents drop the kid off and pick up when its over. She supports them sticking up for what they feel will allow them to run a better class and maximize the real-estate of their square footage.

BUT the parents are all pissed, saying the kids are still very young, its a contact sport, we should have right to watch our kids and see how they are developing. Some very young students who really like having their parent there, etc. 1 dad said: 'can you imagine not being able to watch our kids soccer, baseball, or hockey practice?

It was a great vibe, I was really enjoying it, but this came like a kick in the nuts. I can't help but be a bit offended... I mean essentially they are telling me I'm not welcome there anymore, and why the fuck not? I honestly haven't seen any disruptive behaviour from parents but maybe I missed something, I'm not there every day. Teacher said to me in confidence that its different with me because I train and understand better what JJ is all about, but other parents don't so they get antsy about shit they don't understand etc

What do you think? Is the club/teacher right or justified to make this change? Are the parents right to feel like we've been shafted?

I'm mostly worried this could get ugly, I am trying to keep a peaceful discourse but some of the moms are really upset and can be fiery.

Also all this just days before the tournament. Bad timing, this kind of squashed morale :(

Help me get perspective on this, friends

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:14 pm

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:34 pm

uote="Masato"]

BUT the parents are all pissed, saying the kids are still very young, its a contact sport, we should have right to watch our kids and see how they are developing. Some very young students who really like having their parent there, etc. 1 dad said: 'can you imagine not being able to watch our kids soccer, baseball, or hockey practice?

- It's a martial-art, if you guys know that their instruction is good, you should do like school and let the instructor take care of teaching them. And i honestly think that some people shouldn't try to coach their kids on soccer or other sports, they kind of ruin whats should be a good passtime to the children

It was a great vibe, I was really enjoying it, but this came like a kick in the nuts. I can't help but be a bit offended... I mean essentially they are telling me I'm not welcome there anymore, and why the fuck not? I honestly haven't seen any disruptive behaviour from parents but maybe I missed something, I'm not there every day. Teacher said to me in confidence that its different with me because I train and understand better what JJ is all about, but other parents don't so they get antsy about shit they don't understand etc

What do you think? Is the club/teacher right or justified to make this change? Are the parents right to feel like we've been shafted?

I'm mostly worried this could get ugly, I am trying to keep a peaceful discourse but some of the moms are really upset and can be fiery.

Also all this just days before the tournament. Bad timing, this kind of squashed morale :(

Help me get perspective on this, friends[/quote]

- I kind of understand, because some parent's encorage excessive competition. They try to make their kind's live they dreams that they didn't live. If that's is the reason, because some kids get shy to performe inf front of adult's.

You should show your kid capoeira or gymnastics too, they're very good sports.
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:55 pm

I just spoke with a good friend who has been teaching various forms of martial arts for most of his life. He is also a dad.

He says he sides with the teacher 100%, and says most dojos and teachers he's known all did the same. According to him, that's the way to teach martial arts; parents are a distraction and affects the kids in a way that inhibits the direct teaching-learning state of mind.

He empathizes that it sucks to lose something you once had, and says the teacher should have been more tactful explaining the change to the students but supports his decision.

That helped me a lot.

I'm worried for the teacher that things will get ugly tomorrow, lots of moms are mad but don't know jack about martial arts.

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:36 am

Masato wrote:I just spoke with a good friend who has been teaching various forms of martial arts for most of his life. He is also a dad.

He says he sides with the teacher 100%, and says most dojos and teachers he's known all did the same. According to him, that's the way to teach martial arts; parents are a distraction and affects the kids in a way that inhibits the direct teaching-learning state of mind.

He empathizes that it sucks to lose something you once had, and says the teacher should have been more tactful explaining the change to the students but supports his decision.

That helped me a lot.

I'm worried for the teacher that things will get ugly tomorrow, lots of moms are mad but don't know jack about martial arts.

- He should explain that to them.
Moms are quite annoying because they always trate their kids like cristal, think theure the most frail thing on earth. That's is a problem to the childrem.

Joe Mama

Postby Joe Mama » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:38 am

You should challenge him in front of all of the kids and their parents.

This is no longer about some silly chairs being moved.
This is about hespect.

To the death I say.
To the death.

Just like BJ.

Som-Pong

Postby Som-Pong » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:01 pm

Alright you fucking sodomite nigger, I will reveal to you either my penis or my insight. You choose insight, that's mighty white of you. Now that we've got the trigger/cuckold/librarian way out of it.

Your friend is right. First thing you want to do with young kids are giving them to a teacher, like Winnson or myself.
Kids develop trust in a pretty simple way. It's all connected with being absent from the parent though. It backfires for most people trying to lie about that shit. I reckon everyones got a bit of an eye for a chomo.

Anyway Masato, if I were you I'd leave and encourage the women to as well. Having a parent "sit in" on a class is demeaning for both the teacher and student.

If you don't like the guy and think he's a chomo get him done already. We are talking instinct man, fucking ravioli.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:52 pm

Som-Pong wrote:Alright you fucking sodomite nigger, I will reveal to you either my penis or my insight. You choose insight, that's mighty white of you. Now that we've got the trigger/cuckold/librarian way out of it.

Your friend is right. First thing you want to do with young kids are giving them to a teacher, like Winnson or myself.
Kids develop trust in a pretty simple way. It's all connected with being absent from the parent though. It backfires for most people trying to lie about that shit. I reckon everyones got a bit of an eye for a chomo.

Anyway Masato, if I were you I'd leave and encourage the women to as well. Having a parent "sit in" on a class is demeaning for both the teacher and student.

If you don't like the guy and think he's a chomo get him done already. We are talking instinct man, fucking ravioli.

Who is the bold part directed to? lol Not following...

And when you say I should 'leave', you mean during the classes right?

I don't know where you guys get the idea I don't like the instructor, I like him just fine/have a lot of respect for him. The more I think about it the more I see he made a wise move. What if he gets a bunch more kids? We gonna have like 20 parents there every class sitting like its a fucking show?

Tonight is the 1st kids class post-changes. I've tried my best to calm them down and explain some support for the teacher, I hope it doesn't get ugly.

Also not getting the Ravioli bit, lol

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:33 pm

most clubs dont let the parents sit in

usually they can still watch though, having parents talk and yap and distract from the sidelines is a headache.

as long as the instructor isnt diddling anyone you should be good.
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:35 pm

Canuckster wrote:most clubs dont let the parents sit in

usually they can still watch though, having parents talk and yap and distract from the sidelines is a headache.

as long as the instructor isnt diddling anyone you should be good.

- Or wanting to teach the class.
Moms are even worst.

Return to “Super Dojo”