Changes at my BJJ Club (Kids class)

MMA, BJJ, & The Martial Arts
Som-Pong

Changes at my BJJ Club (Kids class)

Postby Som-Pong » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:45 am

I have no idea, I was 3 bottles deep.

New policy is good. Explain it to the women.

Vutulaki-san

Postby Vutulaki-san » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:15 am

Masato most untraned parents cant handle watching their kids roll

Ess normal mangchaud

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:23 am

So yesterday all the parents showed up, the maddest mom brought her husband who also thought the new policy was 'ridiculous'. He even said that he thought it was not a 'serious' martial arts class that they were 'just playing'. He said this because he wrestled in highschool and remembers brutal workouts and says the kids here hardly break a sweat in comparison (they are under 10 years old). He doesn't understand that this is perhaps the highest technical Jitz in the are and that the kids from this club consistently do well in competition.

Anyways they all fuckin swarmed the teacher after class complaining. I played on the mats for a bit with my daughter until the heat died down and joined to listen afterwards (I had talked/emailed with the teacher previously to tell him I support him and think his decision is cool).

He handled it VERY well, I was impressed, never lost his cool. Talked about self confidence, independence, how he was bullied as a kid, talked about being strong mentally for competition and life, etc... a really solid pitch. The parents STFU after that, but I got the sense they were still bitter.

I'm carpooling with 2 of these dads Saturday for a 3 hr drive and back the next day. Should be interesting. They are nice guys I like em both, I hope we can keep this difference of opinion civil, lol

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:27 am

Oh yeah another good moment... one of the dads was saying he likes to watch so that he can see if his son is 'giving his all' or whatever, saying the coach doesn't know him as well to judge if he is doing his best or slacking etc... Dad says he likes to see so if he thinks the kid is being lazy he can discipline him after.

The coach said this is totally contrary to how he likes to teach; he focuses on the positives, always encouraging and making them feel proud. He said if he works on building the kids up for the whole class and then a parent gives them shit after, its all for naught.

I'm telling you those kids love it there, and it seems that they frankly don't give a fuck if the parents are there or not. Parents were all mad yesterday but the kids came off the mats with huge smiles. So ironic, lol

One kid I've been texting with the mom (who is more experienced/understanding) said he actually liked it better.

Vutulaki-san

Postby Vutulaki-san » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:23 am

Masato wrote:So yesterday all the parents showed up, the maddest mom brought her husband who also thought the new policy was 'ridiculous'. He even said that he thought it was not a 'serious' martial arts class that they were 'just playing'. He said this because he wrestled in highschool and remembers brutal workouts and says the kids here hardly break a sweat in comparison (they are under 10 years old). He doesn't understand that this is perhaps the highest technical Jitz in the are and that the kids from this club consistently do well in competition.

Anyways they all fuckin swarmed the teacher after class complaining. I played on the mats for a bit with my daughter until the heat died down and joined to listen afterwards (I had talked/emailed with the teacher previously to tell him I support him and think his decision is cool).

He handled it VERY well, I was impressed, never lost his cool. Talked about self confidence, independence, how he was bullied as a kid, talked about being strong mentally for competition and life, etc... a really solid pitch. The parents STFU after that, but I got the sense they were still bitter.

I'm carpooling with 2 of these dads Saturday for a 3 hr drive and back the next day. Should be interesting. They are nice guys I like em both, I hope we can keep this difference of opinion civil, lol

Fucking dealing with your kid's friend's parents or just random parents you dont really care for is the worst.

We get ULTRA aggressive parents in Judo (U6's), lil Vutu has graduated to Thunder Dragons from lil Ninja's and the heat is on, this is high level shit Im sure of it so I hid in the back of the carpark and smoke weed like a degenerate and then head in a few minutes before the end. lil man prefers me not watching class.

Try that, do drugs while your kids play sports then McDonalds drive through on the way home.

Som-Pong

Postby Som-Pong » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:38 am

Fucking A. Vutu is so fucking correct. Parents need to just get the fuck out at moments. Had a student just the other week who was in a bad mood because of lack of sleep, hungover whatever. I told his mom to leave for the hour. Lil' kid tried to run for a bit but I just held him, spoke to him in a calm way and he cooled down. Then we had a good 55 minute lesson. A mother reacts as a mother and a father as a father, that's what your friends posturing is about as well. Gotta poster some in front of your kids, shouldn't need to posture with friends.

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:52 pm

L Vutulaki wrote:
Masato wrote:So yesterday all the parents showed up, the maddest mom brought her husband who also thought the new policy was 'ridiculous'. He even said that he thought it was not a 'serious' martial arts class that they were 'just playing'. He said this because he wrestled in highschool and remembers brutal workouts and says the kids here hardly break a sweat in comparison (they are under 10 years old). He doesn't understand that this is perhaps the highest technical Jitz in the are and that the kids from this club consistently do well in competition.

Fucking dealing with your kid's friend's parents or just random parents you dont really care for is the worst.

We get ULTRA aggressive parents in Judo (U6's), lil Vutu has graduated to Thunder Dragons from lil Ninja's and the heat is on, this is high level shit Im sure of it so I hid in the back of the carpark and smoke weed like a degenerate and then head in a few minutes before the end. lil man prefers me not watching class.

Try that, do drugs while your kids play sports then McDonalds drive through on the way home.

- That's is a badass name.

Teacher should gave the a whooping on the suposed wrestler dad.
Throwing at the turnbuckle and a couple of right hands, a hurrancana and the talk would change quite quick.
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:44 am

Masato wrote:Oh yeah another good moment... one of the dads was saying he likes to watch so that he can see if his son is 'giving his all' or whatever, saying the coach doesn't know him as well to judge if he is doing his best or slacking etc... Dad says he likes to see so if he thinks the kid is being lazy he can discipline him after.

The coach said this is totally contrary to how he likes to teach; he focuses on the positives, always encouraging and making them feel proud. He said if he works on building the kids up for the whole class and then a parent gives them shit after, its all for naught.

I'm telling you those kids love it there, and it seems that they frankly don't give a fuck if the parents are there or not. Parents were all mad yesterday but the kids came off the mats with huge smiles. So ironic, lol

One kid I've been texting with the mom (who is more experienced/understanding) said he actually liked it better.

The dad roll? If not he should stfu.
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Som-Pong

Postby Som-Pong » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:03 am

Ees normal. Parents like to think they know best, My Marxist teachings will enlighten your child.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:30 pm

OK here's a slightly off-topic question I'm getting different advice on;

My kid is RIGHT at the weightclass limit for the tournament this weekend (he is 8).

If he's under 60lbs on fightday he will be among the biggest in his group, and will likely do very well. If he's over, he'll be the smallest and might get thumped.

A good friend of mine who has been doing MA his whole life says to discuss this with him, prepare him, explain etc. Our BJJ teacher and another purple-belt says to STFU and just let him focus and compete regardless, and not make any attention to it. They said talking will give him an excuse to lose, will sour his confidence etc.

Wife says the same; don't make it an issue of it.

Though my friend sounded very sensible (he has a daughter who is involved with volleyball in a league with mostly bigger/older girls, he explains the same thing how its all good experience/practice etc and not to feel bad if you come up short etc)... I am choosing to take the path of my BJJ teacher and wife, and just let him do his thang and not put the issue in his head.

What do you all think?

I hope those dad's don't make a fuss about it. I'm starting to think carpooling with these guys was a bad idea. Fun for the kids, awkward for me

Return to “Super Dojo”