Demian Maia won his sixth fight in a row

MMA, BJJ, & The Martial Arts
Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Demian Maia won his sixth fight in a row

Postby Edge Guerrero » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:34 am

By Dave Meltzer on Aug 31, 2016

There is little doubt that Demian Maia, after submitting Carlos Condit in just 1:52, is deserving of a welterweight championship shot.

He's had six wins in a row, and, as he pointed out a few times, he beat the guy who many feel was the deserving champion with the idea Condit deserved the win over Robbie Lawler in January. The problem for Maia is he's not the only one deserving, and at almost 39 years old, his window of opportunity is starting to close.

Maia (24-6) beating Condit (30-10) wouldn't be classified as a shock. As soon as that match was announced, the feeling was clear. If it stayed standing, Condit would have a huge edge. If the fight went to the ground and stayed there, Maia was likely winning. But Maia winning that quickly against a fighter who hadn't been submitted in a fight since 2006 made a real statement that Maia's ground game is, already recognized as among the elite in the sport, if anything, has gotten even more effective.

After winning, Maia said he thought that win should put him in front of Stephen "Wonderboy" Thompson, who Dana White had pegged for the next shot at champion Tyron Woodley. Maia also made it clear that he's not looking at fighting until he gets that shot, preferring not to risk his position. On the surface, that makes sense. But there is a lot in play right now, from a champion who wants to face challengers with big drawing power, a category Maia doesn't fit in, and questions regarding the guys who did fit into that category.

Full read at http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/8/31/12698946/fortunes-changed-for-five-at-ufc-on-fox-21
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Return to “Super Dojo”