A thread for boxing

MMA, BJJ, & The Martial Arts
Luigi

A thread for boxing

Postby Luigi » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:47 pm

Hey guys, I thought I'd start a thread where we can talk about boxing. Since this is a catch-all kind of thread I might get a bit rambley, sorry in advance :mrgreen:

Right now in boxing there are a number of interesting developments. The HW division is in chaos after lineal champ Tyson Fury pulled out of a rematch with decade-long champion Klitschko, citing depression as the reason. He then subsequently tested positive for cocaine, and its possible he will be stripped of the title. Meanwhile the great Black and American hope Deontay Wilder is ever improving, as is the young British prodigy Anthony Joshua. Plenty of interesting fights at HW atm.

At LHW there is an upcoming fight between two P4P top 5 fighters, Sergei Kovalev and Andre Ward. I am excited but at the same time we have been waiting so long that the fight seems a bit stale.

At MW the beast GGG continues to score KO after KO against top ranked opponents. It is unclear if the super fight with Canelo Alvarez will materialize or not.

At WW Floyd is retired, Pacquiao dabbles in semi-retirement and some young guys are slowly building up their careers. Not much to say here.

at junior lightweight Lomachenko is storming onto the scene. His fight with Walters is going to be fireworks. I would like to see him rematch Salido and fight Vargas.

At FW we just had a classic Mexican vs Irish brawl in Santa Cruz vs Frampton. It looks like they will be rematching in Dublin which should be crazy.

118-122 is ruled by Rigo, who is getting old but still seems a cut above the competition. Donaire is making a comback and has a big title fight coming up, which should be cool. I am also interested to see how Scott Quig comes back from his titanium jaw surgery.

115 is very interesting atm. P4P #1 Roman Gonzalez just won a title in his fourth weight class, having a classic back and forth battle with Carlos Cuadras. The other top dogs of the division are Inoue and Concepcion, and both of them are very capable. There is a ton of potential for good match ups between, Gonzalez, Cuadras, Inoue and Concepcion.

Anyone else besides me care about boxing here? :P

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:44 am

- I use to watch boxing a couple of years ago. Not that i was a avid fan, but they used to show old school fight`s on tv, George Foreman, Hollyfield and James Toney were my favorite to watch. Foreman was like a cyborg punching people and Toney a master of a art, watched the light weight-classes too. Liked them more than the heavies, of the modern fighters i used to watch David Haye. I think boxing is cool sport to train(even thought i don`t train boxing), but i lost the fire to watch.

- Tyson Fury promos were funny thought.
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:57 am

Great thread, thanks Luigi

I fell off the boxing scene a crazy long time ago, I sincerely thought aside from the Mayweather crap that the sport was pretty much dead. Didn't realize there were some stars in the mix making it interesting again.

It feels different now though, a different sort of flavor. Maybe that's what I was witnessing... like a change/rebirth of the sport from old to newschool or something. Maybe a new era is starting to come into focus. Perhaps more international, before it was so USA-dominated.

I also really thought MMA would kill it and steal all the newer generation fans. Would be interesting to see boxing survive and evolve.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:59 am

"...decade-long champion Klitchko"? really?

wow, didn't realize he held such a reign. Is the HW division interesting at all? How popular is Klitchko as champ? Even a champ like Tyson would get boring after 10 fuckin years, lol

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:16 pm

The "boxing is dead" talk is an interesting phenomenon. Believe it or not, people have been saying it since the 1920s. Yet every era boxing survives. No doubt many would-be boxers now go into MMA, but the same was true of martial arts in the 70s and 80s, an era that gave us legends like Mike Tyson.

The less USA-based character of the sport started in the 90s. There was a resurgence of British boxing which saw Lennox Lewis become champ and dominate American legends like Evander Holifield. Also, the Soviet Union made pro boxing illegal, so upon its disintegration you got a massive chunk of the world now competing that wasn't there before.

Masato wrote:"...decade-long champion Klitchko"? really?

wow, didn't realize he held such a reign. Is the HW division interesting at all? How popular is Klitchko as champ? Even a champ like Tyson would get boring after 10 fuckin years, lol

Klitschko is a superstar in Germany and Eastern Europe, but in America he is seen mostly as a bane on the HW division lol Many people are tired of him. Not only did he reign 10 years, but he has noticeably slowed down in his last few fights and relied on clinching more and more. A ton of people were excited to see Fury finally dethrone him.

But yes, the HW division is very interesting. You will hear a ton of people talk shit about it, but it pretty much all comes down to American nationalism. Hopefully that changes now that we have Deontay Wilder.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:45 am

So Klitchko is not the champ no more, it's this Fury guy?

lol I might have to get back into this, sounds interesting. Internationalism in boxing is way cooler imo, much more interesting.

Please keep sharing some of the top characters and storylines, I would love to learn a bit more about what's happening, I really did fall off the wagon for a while, thought it was whittled down to those Mayweather farces which frankly made me kinda ill

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:33 pm

Masato wrote:So Klitchko is not the champ no more, it's this Fury guy?

lol I might have to get back into this, sounds interesting. Internationalism in boxing is way cooler imo, much more interesting.

Please keep sharing some of the top characters and storylines, I would love to learn a bit more about what's happening, I really did fall off the wagon for a while, thought it was whittled down to those Mayweather farces which frankly made me kinda ill

My OP is a pretty good crash course on the current scene. Also you might find this interesting:

http://www.rollingstone.com/sports/tyso ... se-w443250

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:17 pm

Update: Tyson Fury has vacated his world titles to deal with his depression and cocaine addiction. The de facto new top dog will be determined when Klitschko fights British sensation Anthony Joshua.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/10/13/sport ... es-boxing/

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:34 am

DAVID HAYE PROMISES BIG ANNOUNCEMENT - SHANNON BRIGGS SAYS IT'LL BE A GENDER CHANGE

https://www.boxingnewsandviews.com/2016 ... -promises/

lol

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:30 am

Update: The young star Jessie Magdaleno pulled a big upset and beat Nonito Donaire, who was ranked #2 at 122 lbs.

Perhaps he will dethrone the great Rigo?

Return to “Super Dojo”