Demetrious Johnson says he’d fight Cody Garbrandt at 135 or 125

MMA, BJJ, & The Martial Arts
Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Demetrious Johnson says he’d fight Cody Garbrandt at 135 or 125

Postby Edge Guerrero » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:11 pm

by Dave Doyle @davedoylemma Apr 12, 2017

LOS ANGELES -- UFC bantamweight champion Cody Garbrandt put forth an interesting proposition to UFC flyweight champ Demetrious Johnson a couple weeks back.

Should Johnson defeat Wilson Reis in the main event of Saturday’s UFC on FOX 24 in Kansas City, which would tie Anderson Silva for the most successful defenses in UFC history at 10, Garbrandt would be willing to come down to 125 pounds and become challenger No. 11.

For his part, “Mighty Mouse” says he’ll accept that challenge. Or he could go up to 135 pounds. Either way, he’s not going to shy away from the callout.

“If he wants to come down and the UFC wants to give him an immediate title shot, that’s what they do nowadays, you get an immediate title shot,” Johnson said Monday. “If I go up and challenge him for his belt, if the negotiations go well, then yeah, it could happen.”

This, of course, isn’t the first time the idea of a bantamweight contender dropping down and challenging Johnson has been put forth, but it’s rare anyone has followed through.

“It’s not the first time someone has said that,” Johnson said. “I would say, if they can make the weight class, hey, I could go down to 115 pounds if they wanted to fill the position down there. Would I be fighting to the best of my abilities? Probably not.”

Still, if someone wants to come knocking, Johnson will answer the door.

“I’ve never turned any fight down for coming into my weight class and challenging for my belt,” Johnson said. “I’ve never done it and it’s not going to stop now and it’s never going to happen. If Jose Aldo says I can lose 25 pounds, I’m going to fight you, I’m like ‘sweet, perfect, let’s go down to that weight class and make it happen.’ Like I said, a lot of people have said it before.”

Source http://www.mmafighting.com/2017/4/12/15252392/demetrious-johnson-says-hed-fight-cody-garbrandt-at-135-or-125
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:10 pm

Have it at 130 lbs. No sense in asking one guy to move 10 lbs and the other to move zero.

Winnson

Postby Winnson » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:06 pm

Are you excited about seeing really extremely little men fight each other, because they're fast?

I really don't care that much if one extremely little guy can beat up another extremely little guy.

I really don't care who wins a chick fight.

Who is the baddest man on the planet in hand to hand combat? That I care about a lot.

If dude has to cut weight to fight weaker men, he's instantly disqualified.

Women do not count at all?

I want to see who can fight the best in the whole world and how. I do not want to see all of the other bullshit.

Fuck.

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:29 pm

Winnson wrote:Are you excited about seeing really extremely little men fight each other, because they're fast?

I really don't care that much if one extremely little guy can beat up another extremely little guy.

I really don't care who wins a chick fight.

Who is the baddest man on the planet in hand to hand combat? That I care about a lot.

If dude has to cut weight to fight weaker men, he's instantly disqualified.

Women do not count at all?

I want to see who can fight the best in the whole world and how. I do not want to see all of the other bullshit.

Fuck.

- I don't care about the guy that uses the same shade of a carrot as a tan, or the fur of a poor dead animal to compensate his baldness. And you admited following Trump career for 30 years Wilson. :P

Winnson

Postby Winnson » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:01 pm

You're a big fan of the <155lb and women fights?

To each their own.

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:28 pm

Winnson wrote:You're a big fan of the <155lb and women fights?

To each their own.

- If giving the chance, i will choose the 170 class and bellow to watch, overall the talent of those classes are far better than the high ones. You can see this watching a smaller event.

The only exception is if one of my man-crush fight, like Mirko, Wand and Minotauro.

I'm a hipocrity and rarelly watch woman fights. :oops:

Benwahwah

Postby Benwahwah » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:35 am

I find watching any MMA fights fun.

Two of my favourite fighters at the minute are MM and Dominic Cruz. Seeing the skill and technique is awesome to behold. I find that the lighter weight classes have more of an emphasis on these as the lighter guys tend to lack the one punch KO power in the heavier divisions.

The higher weight classes are fun to watch as well because of the greater numbers of fighters and the aforementioned one punch KO power.

Hell, even the women's fights are great to watch. Watching their fights is kind of like watching MMA back in the '90s. While the skill isn't currently at the same level as the men the women are improving at an incredible rate. It's awesome to be able to relive those early days of MMA again.

Goddamnit, I love MMA,

Winnson

Postby Winnson » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:32 pm

I want to see who the best fighter on the planet is at the moment.

You guys want to see what a kindergarten fight looks like.

Why?

Benwahwah

Postby Benwahwah » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:25 am

So let me get this clear. Are you are saying that Demetrius Johnson has the same technical ability as a seven year old? Or, are you saying that you want to see two big guys that would win purely due to their size never mind the level of their skill?

Because whichever way you look at it, you're not looking very clever.

Winnson

Postby Winnson » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:31 pm

If you're talking to me, I want to see who the best fighter on the planet is. That's what I want to see.

I don't want to see who can fight the best with a whole lot of restrictions and limitations, that prevents us from seeing who the best fighter on the planet is.

The UFC and Pride used to be all about finding the world's best fighter. Now it's all about Conor Mcgregor and Ronda Rousey.

What the fuck?

Return to “Super Dojo”