Demetrious Johnson: UFC threatened to fold flyweight division if I don’t fight T.J

MMA, BJJ, & The Martial Arts
Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Demetrious Johnson: UFC threatened to fold flyweight division if I don’t fight T.J

Postby Edge Guerrero » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:07 pm

by Marc Raimondi @marc_raimondi Jun 5, 2017

Demetrious Johnson doesn’t want to defend his UFC flyweight title against T.J. Dillashaw this summer for a number of reasons. He made that known to UFC president Dana White last month at the UFC Athlete Retreat.

According to Johnson, White replied that the UFC wants to make that fight and Dillashaw wants it. Johnson said White asked why he was denying Dillashaw the opportunity. That, Johnson told Ariel Helwani on Monday’s edition of The MMA Hour, set “Mighty Mouse” off.

“You done f*cked up,” Johnson said of his thoughts at the time. “I’m done.”

Johnson believes he’s looking out for his own career and owes nothing to Dillashaw. He said he was stunned that White would ask him to put Dillashaw over himself.

“F*ck that,” Johnson said. “This isn’t TJ Dillashaw’s career. This is my career. This is how it’s going to f*cking happen.”

Since then, Johnson said he’s had some back and forth through his manager and coach Matt Hume and personally with UFC matchmaker Mick Maynard. One of the most recent things Maynard relayed to Johnson’s team, per Johnson, is that the UFC will fold the flyweight division if he doesn’t take the fight against Dillashaw.

“Mighty Mouse” said he’s ready to call the UFC’s bluff.

“I said close the mother f*cking division then,” Johnson said. “Because if somebody is willing to do that, that just shows you that they have no interest whatsoever of working with the champion. I never missed weight, always showed up on time, did all of my interviews on fight week, traveled to Australia in coach two times for the flyweight division. I’ve done a lot.”

Johnson, 30, tied the record for most title defenses in UFC history back in April with 10. One more successful defense and he’ll have broken Anderson Silva’s record. The Washington native is regarded as the top pound-for-pound fighter in the world and on the short list of the greatest of all time.

Source http://www.mmafighting.com/2017/6/5/15742656/demetrious-johnson-ufc-threatened-to-fold-flyweight-division-if-i-dont-fight-t-j-dillashaw
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Return to “Super Dojo”