Hunt lays the smackdown, Lewis wants to retire

MMA, BJJ, & The Martial Arts
Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Hunt lays the smackdown, Lewis wants to retire

Postby Edge Guerrero » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:23 pm

by Marc Raimondi @marc_raimondi Jun 11, 2017

It was an oddly paced fight, a strange finish and the aftermath was even more surprising.

Mark Hunt got a much-needed victory over Derrick Lewis via TKO at 3:51 of the fourth round in the main event of UFC Fight Night 110 on Saturday night in Auckland, New Zealand. It was Hunt’s first time competing in MMA in his home country and a significant win for “The Super Samoan” late in his career.

But Lewis, 32, threw a monkey wrench into the narrative when he alluded to retirement in an interview with Brian Stann
/b] in the cage afterward. “The Black Beast” said he was getting married next week, didn’t want to put his family through this anymore and this would “most likely” be his final fight.

If it is, thank you @TheBeast_UFC #UFCAuckland pic.twitter.com/YnYWOfefUa

— UFC (@ufc) June 11, 2017

Hunt, 43, made a bit of a reference to retiring himself, saying post fight “if that’s it for me tonight,” but also added “it looks like it’s still continuing.”

The fight itself was slowly paced, which was a possibility for the two huge heavyweights, but also included a lot of hard haymakers thrown. Lewis looked good early on, putting forth good performances in the first and second rounds. But he tired midway through the third and Hunt mixed in body shots that further depleted him. Hunt’s experience, patience and technical striking ability took over from there.

Lewis threw a jumping knee in the fourth round and when that didn’t connect he seemed to back toward the cage and signal that it was all he had. Hunt finished with some punches, none of them particularly hard, soon after.

“This is a pretty good feeling,” Hunt said. … “This is my hood. I run this hood.”

Lewis said he re-injured his lower back recently and that affected his performance in the fight.

[b]Hunt (13-11-1, 1 NC)
rebounded from a third-round knockout loss to Alistair Overeem at UFC 209 in March. It has been a drama-filled past 12 months for Hunt, who is suing the UFC, UFC president Dana White and Brock Lesnar after Lesnar failed two drug tests in relation to their fight at UFC 200.

“I think we all ned to band together to get rid of steroids in our sport and make it an even playing field,” Hunt said afterward.

Lewis (18-5, 1 NC) was on a six-fight winning streak, the longest in the division, coming into Saturday night. A victory over Hunt would have put Lewis close to a title shot. But now it seems as if this was the final time we’ve seen him in the Octagon.

If this is truly it for him, Lewis put together a heck of a UFC run, going 9-3 with eight finishes by KO or TKO.

Full read http://www.mmafighting.com/2017/6/11/15777626/ufc-fight-night-110-results-mark-hunt-beats-derrick-lewis-lewis-alludes-to-retirement

I've got another confession to make
I'm your fool
Everyone's got their chains to break
Holding you
Were you born to resist
Or be abused?

Is someone getting the best,
The best, the best, the best of you?
Is someone getting the best,
The best, the best, the best of you?

Or are you gone and onto someone new?

- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Return to “Super Dojo”