Discuss your most recent training

MMA, BJJ, & The Martial Arts
Masato
Site Admin

Re: Discuss your most recent training

Postby Masato » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:17 pm

Edge Guerrero wrote:
Diet Butcher wrote:Hey guys, what are your favourite vids for leg locks and defences? My leg game is shit. I used to be a leg lock guy when I was a beginner. But when it stopped working on my teammates, I stopped doing them and now I suck.

I know shit all for leg locks/kneebars etc but had a good no-gi class on Wednesday where the guy was trying to break down simple concepts rather than any specific moves.

He said; 'think of legs as though they were arms, and look for calf slicers everywhere'

lol

Looking forward to playing with that

evil-kungfool

Postby evil-kungfool » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:23 am

Diet Butcher wrote:Currently suffering from a crick in the neck. usually whenever I get them, it goes away the next day. But this bitch has been here 4 days! Already missed one day of training... what a joke. How do you get rid of it? I want to trane tomorrow.

When I was a newbie I'd get a bad neck after every single night of training. Sometimes I struggled to get out of bed the next morning.
Never happens anymore. The back and shoulder muscles that aid posture must have developed. I remember that feeling of waiting for it to pop vividly though.

I don't know any tricks beyond hot showers and hot cloths. I'm sure you've tried all of that already.

evil-kungfool

Postby evil-kungfool » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:31 am

Diet Butcher wrote:Hey guys, what are your favourite vids for leg locks and defences? My leg game is shit. I used to be a leg lock guy when I was a beginner. But when it stopped working on my teammates, I stopped doing them and now I suck.

Alan Belcher, the guy who traded Leglocks with Palhares, then mounted and TKO'd him made a Leglock Deference series while he was still in the spotlight. I haven't watched it and I'm not sure what the quality is.

Maybe start grabbing a friend or GF and practice rolling WITH the heel hook. Make going with it second nature so you never accidentally roll the wrong way and break your shit yourself. Then once you feel confident, do the same with Reverse / Inside Heel Hooks and roll the opposite way.

So up on your hands, go with the heel-hook, retract the knee, kick the other leg around, secure top position and sit on your feet. The same types of response will get you out of most Kneebars too.

Hope that helps a little.

evil-kungfool

Postby evil-kungfool » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:34 am

Edge Guerrero wrote: - You got health fingers from the No-Gi thought!

Yeah thank god! I see those gnarled Gi fingers in BJJ and the mummified taped up fingers that Judoka get.

I just let go of the Gi when my fingers hurt. I'm not going to ruin my fretting hand to get a collar choke or some bullshit on a training partner.

Diet Butcher

Postby Diet Butcher » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:21 pm

evil-kungfool wrote:

Alan Belcher, the guy who traded Leglocks with Palhares, then mounted and TKO'd him made a Leglock Deference series while he was still in the spotlight. I haven't watched it and I'm not sure what the quality is.

Maybe start grabbing a friend or GF and practice rolling WITH the heel hook. Make going with it second nature so you never accidentally roll the wrong way and break your shit yourself. Then once you feel confident, do the same with Reverse / Inside Heel Hooks and roll the opposite way.

So up on your hands, go with the heel-hook, retract the knee, kick the other leg around, secure top position and sit on your feet. The same types of response will get you out of most Kneebars too.

Hope that helps a little.

Good call. I guess Alan Belcher would be the guy to look to for LL defense eh? He has 2 or 3 videos on it on his youtube channel.

If there's more, please link!

evil-kungfool

Postby evil-kungfool » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:38 pm

The Belcher vs Palhares UFC fight was pretty sweet: https://vk.com/search?c%5Bper_page%5D=40&c%5Bq%5D=belcher%20palhares&c%5Bsection%5D=auto&z=video6653807_162826587

Also, the Tonon vs Palhares sub-only match was great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g06mHKoEl7g

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:02 am

- THis guy know a thing or two about leglocks:

- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:10 am

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:15 am

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:19 am

Return to “Super Dojo”