Discuss your most recent training

MMA, BJJ, & The Martial Arts
evil-kungfool

Re: Discuss your most recent training

Postby evil-kungfool » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:28 am

Holy shit. A thread full of people who actually train.

evil-kungfool

Postby evil-kungfool » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:38 am

I just started up after a 6 mo layoff. I've done nogi for a very long time but just started with the Gi recently. Took a couple weeks to get used to but I don't mind it at all. In fact, I wish I would have started training Gi years ago; there would have been so many more places to train and challenges along the way.

It's a little embarrassing / funny going into a school with a Purple Belt, and I don't know how to make a proper sleeve or pants grip, do a scissor sweep, torreando pass and know only 1 collar choke. I do however feel the Gi Academies are way too sheltered; they haven't spent years getting wrecked by spazzy wrestlers or not being able to take down MMA slippery fighters. They're protected by the rigid structure and belt system; in nogi, when you shake hands with the guy across from you, you never know what you're going to get. The leg-lock restrictions are a bit of a bother too; I've never seriously gone for a heel-hook in my life and yet I just want to eat these Gi babies with leg-locks.

Diet Butcher

Postby Diet Butcher » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:27 pm

^^ they give out belts for No-Gi now? Did you train at 10th Planet?

Same situation with me, except my layoff was more like 6-7 years. Put on a gi and white belt, and started smashing blue belts. So after the first class they put 4 stripes on my belt. Then after 2 months, gave me my blue :) Actually kinda prefer the gi now.

evil-kungfool

Postby evil-kungfool » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:08 pm

Diet Butcher wrote:^^ they give out belts for No-Gi now? Did you train at 10th Planet?

Same situation with me, except my layoff was more like 6-7 years. Put on a gi and white belt, and started smashing blue belts. So after the first class they put 4 stripes on my belt. Then after 2 months, gave me my blue :) Actually kinda prefer the gi now.

I was part of an association called Subfighter. You might remember the subfighter.com forum and instructional vids from the 2006 era. We were hard-lined Anti-Gi people. These days no one cares and most everyone does a little Gi too.

The challenge of Gi training is really what got me back into BJJ. I think I had gone through the nogi sequences / scenario's a few thousand times too many and was losing interest.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:53 pm

LOL you guys sound just like me.

I trained pretty regularly like 16+ years ago, (mostly No-Gi and MMA)... then fell right off the wagon when the kids came etc.. Tried to get back on a couple times but never lasted long.

Then maybe 3 years ago, I decided to do it right and stay committed, but realized most of my skills were useless and I basically had to start from the beginning. I also did not know gi very well at all, a whole new world but now I really love it and am having a lot of fun. Not stopping anymore unless I get injured or something

I went last night and almost died, lol 1 week off at my age kills me. Gotta pick up the pace, going again tonight. They are starting more regular daytime classes next week I'm gonna grab lots of em

evil-kungfool

Postby evil-kungfool » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:26 pm

Masato wrote:I trained pretty regularly like 16+ years ago, (mostly No-Gi and MMA)... then fell right off the wagon when the kids came etc.. Tried to get back on a couple times but never lasted long.

Yeah very similar. I started 13 years ago when I was only 17. It was a cool time, and being at an MMA focused, tight-knit gym in SoCal, I got to be the 'kid' and meet, hang, backstage pass and even travel with a lot of MMA fighters, right during MMA's Golden Years. We had a really happy awesome gym and right at the peak of it all our coach surprise suicided and it sent dozens and dozens of us into downward spiral. Gym broke up and several MMA fighters associated with us offed themselves in the following year. Really dark time. I checked out and started smoking weed heavily, went to college as far away as possible.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:11 pm

My daughter keeps making chocolate chip cookies.

Like warm, melty, soft delicious cookies from the oven. I could eat about 10 of those with a glass of milk.

She doesn't make the jitz life easy, lol

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:57 pm

man if I lived in your house I would be 300 fucking pounds
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Som-Pong

Postby Som-Pong » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:22 am

I only fight in the streets. Last Saturday I flung some Irish cunt off of a balcony.

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:45 pm

evil-kungfool wrote:I just started up after a 6 mo layoff. I've done nogi for a very long time but just started with the Gi recently. Took a couple weeks to get used to but I don't mind it at all. In fact, I wish I would have started training Gi years ago; there would have been so many more places to train and challenges along the way.

It's a little embarrassing / funny going into a school with a Purple Belt, and I don't know how to make a proper sleeve or pants grip, do a scissor sweep, torreando pass and know only 1 collar choke. I do however feel the Gi Academies are way too sheltered; they haven't spent years getting wrecked by spazzy wrestlers or not being able to take down MMA slippery fighters. They're protected by the rigid structure and belt system; in nogi, when you shake hands with the guy across from you, you never know what you're going to get. The leg-lock restrictions are a bit of a bother too; I've never seriously gone for a heel-hook in my life and yet I just want to eat these Gi babies with leg-locks.

If you never trained GI and have a purple, you don't actually have a purple and should be wearing a white belt for now. You'll likely progress quickly though.
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Return to “Super Dojo”