Brazilian boxing legend

MMA, BJJ, & The Martial Arts
Luigi

Brazilian boxing legend

Postby Luigi » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:40 am

Brazil is a country known for their vale tudo, jitz, and MMA, but not many know they also raised a proud son who conquered the world of boxing. Eder Jofre was a Sao Paulo man who fought at bantamweight.

He first came on the scene in 1956 when he represented Brazil in the summer Olympics. He did not win but he fought valiantly. He turned pro in 1957 and went undefeated for years. In 1960 he won the South American title, and then challenged the Chilean man Barrientos who had defeated him in the Olympics. Jofrinho knocked him out in the 8th round. He then challenged the top Mexican boxer Jose Medel:

Eder knocked him out in round 10. He then won the WBA title knocking out Elloy Sanchez in round 6. In 1961 he won The Ring world title with another knock out win. The next year he faced the Northern Irishman Johnny Caldwell for the undisputed lineal bantamweight world title:

Jofre knocked him out in round 10. At this point Jofre's record was 42 wins, zero losses, and three draws early in his career. Despite being a bantamweight he was a fearsome KO machine who seemed unstoppable. He did not meet a man worth his match until 1965 when he faced the Japanese legend "Fighting Harada." Jofre faced him in Japan in front of his home crowd and they had a fierce battle. After 15 rounds Jofre lost a controversial split decision:

Jofre once again faced Harada in Japan the next year and after another 15 round war he once again lost the decision. Disheartened he retired.

But this was not to be the end of Jofrinho's story. Three years later he set his eyes on a new goal. He came out of retirement to move up to featherweight and test his might again the best of them. Despite facing larger opponents he was still a KO machine and won 14 fights in a row. He then faced the world featherweight champion Jose Legra of Cuba:

After a 15 round battle he was declared the victor. Despite being a middle aged man fighting a full weight class above his own(this was before boxing had "super" and "junior" weights) he was still an unstoppable machine. In 1976 at 40 years old he faced the great Mexican boxer Juan Lopez, who would go on to teach boxing to Julio Cesar Chavez:

He once again won, and retired later that year. He finished his career with a record of 72-2-4. This man was a true legend and must be honoured!

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:16 am

Someone should tell mayweather.
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Megaterio Llamas

Postby Megaterio Llamas » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:08 am

I knew this would be about Eder Jofre. Great fighter indeed. Miguel De Oliveira was pretty good too.
el rey del mambo

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:08 pm

- I knew that would be about Eder too.

The Memory Will Never Die

I whisper in your ear
The words you want to hear
You feel the wind and it reminds you
It happens everytime
You stop and close your eyes
You can't deny what lives inside you
Well I know it's hard to see
What is meant to be
When yesterday is so far behind you

Deep inside your soul knows I'm always there

- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Return to “Super Dojo”