Fabricio Werdum to face Derrick Lewis at UFC 216

MMA, BJJ, & The Martial Arts
Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Fabricio Werdum to face Derrick Lewis at UFC 216

Postby Edge Guerrero » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:45 pm

by Alexander K. Lee @AlexanderKLee Aug 17, 2017

Derrick Lewis is returning from his brief retirement with a bang.

Former UFC heavyweight champion Fabricio Werdum will go head-to-head with “The Black Beast” at UFC 216 at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nev., on Oct. 7, sources told MMA Fighting’s Ariel Helwani.

The reported bout will mark Lewis’s first fight since surprisingly announcing his retirement in the cage immediately following a TKO loss to Mark Hunt in June that snapped a six-fight winning streak. It didn’t take long for Lewis to think twice about his decision, explaining on a recent episode of The MMA Hour that he was caught up in the moment and was also thinking about taking time off to deal with lingering back issues.

Though Lewis has made it known he’s looking for a fight with Francis Ngannou, it appears he’s happy to accept a bout with a heavyweight legend instead.

Werdum is coming off of a majority decision loss to Alistair Overeem at UFC 213, the conclusion of a trilogy that began back in May 2006 when Werdum submitted Overeem with an armbar. “Vai Cavalo” has sandwiched a one-sided unanimous decision win over Travis Browne with losses to Overeem and Stipe Miocic, the latter costing him the UFC heavyweight title.

With the addition of Werdum-Lewis, UFC 216 has nine bouts so far. See the current slate below:

Fabricio Werdum vs. Derrick Lewis
Tony Ferguson vs. Kevin Lee
Beneil Dariush vs. Evan Dunham
Will Brooks vs. Nik Lentz
Thales Leites vs. Brad Tavares
John Moraga vs. Magomed Bibulatov
Matt Schnell vs. Marco Beltran
Walt Harris vs. Mark Godbeer
Bobby Green vs. Lando Vannata

Source: https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/8/17/16163390/fabricio-werdum-to-face-derrick-lewis-at-ufc-216
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:48 am

Derrick Lewis swangin' and bangin' and always entertainin'!
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Return to “Super Dojo”