Great PRIDE Nostalgia Article

MMA, BJJ, & The Martial Arts
Masato
Site Admin

Great PRIDE Nostalgia Article

Postby Masato » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:48 pm

My brother sent me this, great article on the insanity that was PRIDE

Most of the stories you probably already know but there were a few in there I hadn't heard. Some good yarns about Yakuza fighting and PRIDE fighters partying in Japan, lol

some good vids too, oldschool fans will enjoy:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2718 ... redecessor

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:48 pm

Here was a Saku Hall of Fame vid included I hadn't seen.

Hespect

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:51 pm

"Quinton [Jackson] wanted to go up and steal [gangster Hiromichi Momose's] hat. Quinton was an impish guy and always doing things like that. I said, 'Quinton, look at me. Look at me! You don't know who that guy is. Don't do that.' And thank God he didn't."

— Pride commentator Stephen Quadros

"I remember jokingly telling [Bas Boon], "Don't stand so close to me Bas. Go stand over there. There might be ninjas, and I don't want to get any of your blood on me."

— Former heavyweight contender Heath Herring

"One time, I remember somebody yelled up the stairs, 'Come quick! Randleman's about to get jumped.' So we all go downstairs, because we're not going to let Kevin get beat up," Herring says. "And you see some Nigerian street crew standing around Randleman.

"This one guy is out front yelling at Kevin, "Now you're in trouble.' He's got this group of guys who think they are pretty tough until the Pride All-Star team walks around the corner. It was me, Brazilian Top Team and Quinton's Southern California crew. They all have this dawning moment of realization, all except for the leader, who's turned around sticking his finger in Randleman's chest, thinking he's got his backup there.

"But they all run away. Just flat-out run. The guy doesn't realize it. And Kevin goes, 'Turn around.' And all his guys are gone and it's just this group of enormous fighters. I liked our odds. Then Kevin just wailed on that guy. Going to Japan was so much fun."

— Former heavyweight contender Heath Herring

LOL

Return to “Super Dojo”