Ray Borg says he’ll give Demetrious Johnson automatic rematch after he wins at UFC 215

MMA, BJJ, & The Martial Arts
Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Ray Borg says he’ll give Demetrious Johnson automatic rematch after he wins at UFC 215

Postby Edge Guerrero » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:05 pm

by Shaun Al-Shatti @shaunalshatti Sep 4, 2017

Ray Borg will face long odds on Sept. 9 when he challenges Demetrious Johnson for the UFC flyweight title in the main event of UFC 215.

Borg is already listed as high as a seven-to-one underdog against Johnson by some oddsmakers, an understandable line considering Johnson’s dominant reign atop the 125-pound division. “Mighty Mouse,” meanwhile, is on the precipice of making history, his 10 consecutive title defenses having tied the storied record set by Anderson Silva for the most consecutive title defenses in UFC history. Another win for Johnson and the record will belong to him alone.

However, at 24 years old, Borg is confident in his ability to not only stop history by defeating Johnson once, but to do so a second time as well.

“If I win, I’m going to fight DJ again,” Borg said this week on a UFC 215 media conference call. “He’s one of the greatest for a reason. He’s defended his belt 10 times. There would be no reason why, if I beat him, I wouldn’t fight him again. I imagine a great champion like himself will get an automatic rematch, so I’ll go home, I’ll fulfill the promise that I made to my niece, which is to take her to Disneyland, and then I’ll go right back home and go right back to the board and learn how to beat DJ in an even more impressive fashion.”

Borg is one of the top up-and-coming names in the flyweight division. The New Mexico native has won five of his seven UFC fights, a run highlighted by the pair of back-to-back victories over Louis Smolka and Jussier Formiga that earned him the shot at Johnson’s strap.

Of course, on the surface, Borg’s resume pales in comparison to that of Johnson, who has ripped through an unbeaten 13-fight streak since the UFC opened the flyweight division in 2012. But while Johnson’s brilliance has carried him through a litany of the best names the 125-pound has to offer, Borg is confident that his own youth and skillset will offer a challenge unlike any “Mighty Mouse” has faced.

“I’m 24, man. There’s nothing to lose going into this fight,” Borg said. “In all honesty, I’m a real person, I’m not going to be over here yelling out stupid sh*t like ‘I’m going to f*ck DJ up’ or anything like that. Honestly, I’m going to go in there and fight my heart out and, win or lose, I’m going to keep coming. I’m going to keep coming and there’s nothing that’s going to stop me.

Source: https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/9/4/16243700/ray-borg-says-hell-give-demetrious-johnson-automatic-rematch-after-he-wins-at-ufc-215
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Return to “Super Dojo”