Cobrinha Unprecidented SUPER GRAND SLAM

MMA, BJJ, & The Martial Arts
Masato
Site Admin

Cobrinha Unprecidented SUPER GRAND SLAM

Postby Masato » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:15 pm

Cobrinha Continues 2017 Win Streak, Makes History With Super Grand Slam

Much has been said about Cobrinha's amazing year, but the end result was truly astonishing. The 37-year-old Alliance star solidified an already incredible season by winning his fifth major tournament of the year by taking gold in the 66kg division at the 2017 ADCC World Championships.

Rubens Charles, as he is properly known, may be 37 years of age but his performance would make grapplers 10 years younger jealous. In 2017 alone he made history by winning the four major IBJJF tournaments (Euros, Pans, Brazilian Nationals and Worlds), which is known as the 'grand slam'.

Now a three-time ADCC champion, Cobrinha can claim to have done something no other grappler has done: that is, win a 'super' grand slam.

Cobrinha's ADCC run saw him take out European Trials winner Uranov Zhakshylyk of Kyrgyzstan in his opening match, Kuba Witkowski of Poland in the quarterfinal, Paulo Miyao in the semifinal and AJ Agazarm in the final.

It was Cobrinha's match against AJ that was perhaps his most impressive, for that fact the Brazilian comprehensively outwrestled the gritty American. Agazarm is renowned as one of the best wrestlers in jiu-jitsu, but Cobrinha took him down and worked vice-like positional control for a 6-0 points victory.

He may claim to be "just a white belt" in jiu-jitsu, but Charles showed excellent technique in part thanks to his work with wrestling coach Kenny Johnson of Bolt Wrestling.

Also worth noting is that Charles did not have a point scored on him throughout the tournament.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:18 pm

The owner/teacher at my club is a high Brown belt under Cobrinha, this is very inspiring to me and my son

Its a really tricky style I thought maybe wasn't for me but I'm slowly starting to see it's worth... that kid in our club is also proving its effectiveness, maybe the next Cobrinha:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1786

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:29 pm

- Cobrinha is a badass. One of the all time greats!
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Return to “Super Dojo”