Luigi

Re: Fight calendar and discussion

Postby Luigi » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:02 am

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:22 pm

Neil Magny vs. Santiago Ponzinibbio headlines UFC Buenos Aires in November

By Guilherme Cruz @guicruzzz Aug 23, 2018

The UFC has a main event set for its first trip to Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Neil Magny was pulled from a UFC Sao Paulo welterweight clash with Alex Oliveira to headline UFC Buenos Aires opposite Ponzinibbio on Nov. 17, sources told MMA Fighting following a report by Combate.

The UFC is actively looking for a replacement to face Oliveira in Sao Paulo, sources said.

Ponzinibbio (26-3) is a Buenos Aires-native welterweight who won six in a row in the Octagon, including victories over Mike Perry, Gunnar Nelson and Nordine Taleb. The event will mark his first time competing in Argentina in almost a decade.

Magny (21-6) enters the five-round fight coming off back-to-back wins over Craig White and Carlos Condit. The 31-year-old fighter has also beaten the likes of Kelvin Gastelum, Hector Lombard and Johny Hendricks in the UFC.

Source: https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/8/23/17773182/neil-magny-santiago-ponzinibbio-headlines-ufc-buenos-aires-november
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:52 pm

UFC Fight Night: Gaethje vs. Vick

Main card (Fox Sports 1)
Weight class Method Round Time Notes
Lightweight Justin Gaethje def. James Vick KO (punch) 1 1:27
Featherweight Michael Johnson def. Andre Fili Decision (split) (29-28, 27-30, 29-28) 3 5:00
Women's Strawweight Cortney Casey def. Angela Hill Decision (split) (30-27, 28-29, 29-28) 3 5:00
Welterweight Bryan Barberena def. Jake Ellenberger TKO (punches) 1 2:26
Flyweight Deiveson Figueiredo def. John Moraga TKO (body shot and punches) 2 3:08
Middleweight Eryk Anders def. Tim Williams KO (head kick) 3 4:42

Preliminary card (Fox Sports 2)
Welterweight James Krause def. Warlley Alves TKO (knee and punches) 2 2:28
Bantamweight Cory Sandhagen def. Iuri Alcântara TKO (punches) 2 1:01
Middleweight Andrew Sanchez def. Markus Perez Decision (unanimous) (29-28, 29-28, 29-28) 3 5:00
Welterweight Mickey Gall def. George Sullivan Submission (rear-naked choke) 1 1:09
Preliminary card (UFC Fight Pass)
Women's Flyweight Joanne Calderwood def. Kalindra Faria Submission (triangle armbar) 1 4:57
Lightweight Drew Dober def. Jon Tuck Decision (unanimous) (30-27, 30-26, 30-26) 3 5:00
Bantamweight Rani Yahya def. Luke Sanders Submission (heel hook) 1 1:31

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:20 pm

‘Nothing is official’, but Brian Ortega says Max Holloway bout has been offered for UFC 231

By MMA Fighting Newswire Aug 26, 2018

If all continues to go according to plan for Brian Ortega, he’ll soon be settling his unfinished business with Max Holloway.

Speaking to the media backstage at UFC Lincoln on Saturday, Ortega confirmed a report from MMAjunkie that an offer has been made for him to challenge Holloway for the UFC featherweight championship in December, potentially at UFC 231 in Toronto. Pen has not not been put to paper yet, but Ortega expects that it’s only a matter of time before the contracts are signed.

“Nothing is official,” Ortega said. “Trust me, I’m always the kind of guy, until I sign the contract I’m the first one to post it out there.

“But there’s ears in the game who hear things and yeah, it’s true. We got the call and they offered us to fight in December. I said yes. I think they’re pushing for Toronto, so December is up in the air and I’m sure Max received the same call. I haven’t heard anything from his side yet, but it looks like it’s going to happen.”

Ortega joked that his only issue with taking the Dec. 8 date was that he wasn’t sure if Canada would allow some of his “homies from the hood” to make it across the border and attend the show due to their checkered pasts. But even walking into the Scotiabank Arena (formerly the Air Canada Center) without backup, the same venue where Holloway won an interim title two years ago, Ortega isn’t worried.

His primary concern is capitalizing on the title opportunity that he’s earned with six finishes in six UFC appearances (excluding a submission win over Mike De La Torre that was overturned when Ortega tested positive for drostanolone). In March, he knocked out former lightweight champion and perennial featherweight contender Frankie Edgar inside of a round to secure his shot at Holloway.

Given that they’re both well under the age of 30, Ortega predicted that he and Holloway will fight more than once, and that their first meeting could set the tone for a classic rivalry.

“‘Fight of the Year’, to top the year off,” Ortega said. “You have two guys — I’ve said this before, I’m a fan of him as well, I’m a fan of the sport. This is the fight. He fought Aldo, I fought Frankie, we fought two veterans, right? And now we have two hungry guys who are young at the top of the game.

“One has the belt, and one’s undefeated and trying to take that from him, who’s been finishing everyone. I’m not trying to get a decision so I don’t have to say much.”

Ortega added that he has no regrets about not accepting a short-notice fight with Jeremy Stephens at UFC 226 in July. That opportunity materialized when the first Ortega-Holloway booking fell through due to Holloway being diagnosed with concussion-like symptoms during fight week, and Ortega was criticized by UFC president Dana White for choosing to pass on Stephens.

That bout would possibly have been for an interim title, which Ortega considered to be a step back from the undisputed title shot that he had already been booked for. He feels justified now in waiting for the Holloway fight to be re-booked and wants there to be no doubt who the champion is should he defeat Holloway.

“I want the real title,” Ortega said. “I can’t express it enough that I want to fight for the real title. Interim title, from what I’ve seen — you know what I’m saying, I don’t have to say much words. People get it and then they take it away from them in a month. I just don’t want to be that person. I have nothing against them who earned their shot and took a fight on short notice, all my respect to them.

“But I want something they cannot take away from me, at least the UFC can’t. If someone’s going to take it from me it’s going to have to be an opponent. And that’s what I want.”

Watch the full UFC Lincoln media scrum below:

Source: https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/8/26/17783560/nothing-is-official-but-brian-ortega-confirms-proposed-max-holloway-bout-for-ufc-231

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:51 pm

Carlo Pedersoli replaces Neil Magny, meets Alex Oliveira at UFC Sao Paulo

By Guilherme Cruz @guicruzzz Aug 28, 2018

Alex Oliveira already has a new opponent for UFC Sao Paulo.

With Neil Magny moved to UFC Buenos Aires to face Santiago Ponzinibbio, Carlo Pedersoli has stepped in to face “Cowboy” at the Sept. 22 Fight Night event in Sao Paulo, Brazil, sources told MMA Fighting after a report from Combate.

Pedersoli (11-1) made his Octagon debut in May, defeating Bradley Scott via split decision at UFC Liverpool. “Semento”, who signed with the promotion after a win over UFC veteran Nicholas Dalby in April, has won eight straight since 2016.

Oliveira (18-5-1, 2 no-contest) scored the biggest victory of his MMA career in April, submitting former interim champion Carlos Condit in Glendale. “Cowboy”, 8-3 with one no-contest under the UFC banner, has only lost one of his last seven fights in the Octagon.

UFC Sao Paulo will be headlined by a light heavyweight fight between Jimi Manuwa and Thiago Santos.

Source: https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/8/28/17775624/carlo-pedersoli-neil-magny-alex-oliveira-ufc-sao-paulo

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:50 am

https://www.boxingscene.com/wanheng-men ... -0--131335

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:57 pm

https://www.boxingscene.com/erkan-teper ... ut--131393

https://www.boxingscene.com/de-la-hoya- ... ss--131418

Some fun boxing news. Speaking of which, next week is SuperFly 3, the week after that GGG vs Canelo.

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:53 pm

Luigi wrote:https://www.boxingscene.com/erkan-teper-vs-robert-helenius-on-september-29-gerber-out--131393

Some fun boxing news. Speaking of which, next week is SuperFly 3, the week after that GGG vs Canelo.

- I didnt knew that Canelo failed the A.D with clen!Its was theother fight. But i think his performance will be worse on this one!

https://www.si.com/boxing/2018/03/05/canelo-alvarez-positive-test-clenbuterol-gennady-golovkin-fight

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:45 pm

Edge Guerrero wrote:
Luigi wrote:https://www.boxingscene.com/erkan-teper-vs-robert-helenius-on-september-29-gerber-out--131393

- I didnt knew that Canelo failed the A.D with clen!Its was theother fight. But i think his performance will be worse on this one!

https://www.si.com/boxing/2018/03/05/canelo-alvarez-positive-test-clenbuterol-gennady-golovkin-fight

Yup, they call him Clenelo as a joke lol Most people suspect he will do better this time though even if clean, simply because he is still in his prime and GGG is aging.

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:47 pm

Luigi wrote: Yup, they call him Clenelo as a joke lol Most people suspect he will do better this time though even if clean, simply because he is still in his prime and GGG is aging.

- How manny matches GGG has had?
I think Canelo will fare worst because thespot lights are on him. He will be more cautious with his nutrutional regiment!

Return to “Super Dojo”