Stephen Thompson: Rafael dos Anjos needs to fight me

MMA, BJJ, & The Martial Arts
Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Stephen Thompson: Rafael dos Anjos needs to fight me

Postby Edge Guerrero » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:02 pm

for No. 1 contender’s spot

By Alexander K. Lee @AlexanderKLee Dec 21, 2017

With a convincing five-round unanimous decision win over Robbie Lawler in the main event of UFC on FOX 26, Rafael dos Anjos put himself in prime position to be the next challenger for Tyron Woodley’s welterweight title.

The champ is currently on the sidelines after undergoing shoulder surgery, and while dos Anjos may be willing to wait for his return, another 170-pound star believes that dos Anjos still has work to do before being considered the No. 1 .

Immediately after the fight, Stephen “Wonderboy” Thompson congratulated both men on the performance and then proposed a matchup with dos Anjos:

https://twitter.com/WonderboyMMA

That was a WAR! Hats off to both RDA and Robbie for that effort! I can be back in the Octagon this March. @RdosAnjosMMA , let’s give the fans another treat. We both want gold, it’s only fitting we battle for it! @ufc #UFCWinnipeg @danawhite

Thompson currently sits atop the UFC’s official rankings, though his chances of getting a title shot are hindered by the fact that he’s already twice battled Woodley for the belt. In their first meeting last November, the two fought to a majority draw; they met again the following March, but the second encounter was light on action and Woodley again walked out with the belt, this time via majority decision.

A win over Jorge Masvidal at UFC 217 put Thompson back in the win column, but also left him with lingering injuries to his hands. He spoke to MMA Fighting about the dos Anjos callout and why he feels the Brazilian should have to go through him to get to Woodley.

“After my last fight with Woodley, I ended up hurting my knee so I was out for almost six months. I ended up hurting my thumbs in my last fight. I’m trying not to stay out for too long,” said Thompson. “I know if I wait on that fight, it could be almost a year depending on the recovery of Tyron. So I wouldn’t want to wait that long, if possible. I know (dos Anjos is) wanting to wait for that Tyron fight.

“I’m still ranked No. 1, he’s No. 2 right now, so I think it would be an awesome fight. I know there are people out there saying they don’t want to see Thompson-Woodley 3. Of course, the last fight with Tyron wasn’t too exciting, but the one before that I thought it was pretty intense and very exciting, we got Fight of the Night, I remember that. I’m just trying not to wait out too long. My goal is RDA and hopefully we’ll get that, somebody in the top-5 would be legit, but I want to hold on to that No. 1 spot. The guy that’s ranked No. 2 is wanting that title shot, for me coming up in the ranks I had to beat the No. 1 in order to get that title shot, which was Rory MacDonald at the time.”

Source: https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/12/21/16803708/stephen-thompson-rafael-dos-anjos-needs-to-fight-me-for-no-1-contenders-spot
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Return to “Super Dojo”