Will Brooks announces he was cut by the UFC, is entering PFL’s $1 million tournament

MMA, BJJ, & The Martial Arts
Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Will Brooks announces he was cut by the UFC, is entering PFL’s $1 million tournament

Postby Edge Guerrero » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:03 pm

By Marc Raimondi @marc_raimondi Feb 14, 2018

A former Bellator lightweight champion has been cut by the UFC — but has a chance to make big money fighting elsewhere.

Will Brooks announced Wednesday on social media that he was released by the UFC and has now signed with the Professional Fighters League. Brooks wrote that he has entered into the PFL’s $1 million tournament, presumably in the lightweight division.

“I’m extremely excited and fired up to be part of the @profighteague and their rebirth,” Brooks wrote on Instagram. “The timing is perfect because I’m in my own rebirth process as well. As always I’m going to represent this organization as professionally as I possibly can. I look forward to being a pivotal part of the PFL’s growth in this sport.”

Brooks (18-4) lost three straight after a victorious debut in the UFC back in 2016 against Ross Pearson. Most recently, the Chicago native fell to Nik Lentz by second-round submission at UFC Sydney in November. Brooks, 31, was on a nine-fight winning streak before this recent skid.

“Unfortunately, I under performed with the UFC and didn’t achieve the goal I wanted to with that opportunity,” Brooks wrote. “I regret nothing, I took a chance at something I wanted and came up short. The fighter/competitor in me is highly disappointed with myself for allowing things to get away from me. The UFC chapter is closed for now... I’d like to thank the UFC staff for treating me so well during my employment. From day one I was treated well and with respect. I appreciate that greatly.”

Brooks held the Bellator lightweight title from 2014 to his final fight in the promotion in 2015. He owns two wins over Michael Chandler and one over current UFC fighter Marcin Held. Brooks asked for his release from Bellator in May 2016, unhappy with how he was treated by that organization and wishing to follow his UFC dreams.

Now, the American Top Team product will pivot to the PFL with a major opportunity to be one of the faces of the company once called World Series of Fighting.

Last month, the PFL announced it had signed a broadcast deal with the NBC Sports Group and Facebook. The plan is for a true sport MMA “league” with a regular season beginning June 7 followed by playoffs and a championship round that is supposed to finish up Dec. 31.
The first season is expected to feature 72 fighters divided into six weight classes competing for a title and a $1 million prize. The playoffs are expected to begin in October with a single-elimination format and championship fights are currently planned for New Year’s Eve.

Source: https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/2/14/17015038/will-brooks-announces-he-was-cut-by-the-ufc-is-entering-pfls-1-million-tournament
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

evil-kungfool

Postby evil-kungfool » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:22 pm

I thought this was about CM Punk.

Somehow this Will Brooks guy flew under my radar. Did he fight anyone notable?

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:15 am

evil-kungfool wrote:I thought this was about CM Punk.

Somehow this Will Brooks guy flew under my radar. Did he fight anyone notable?

- Punk is Phil Brooks. And if he is staying in shape he can get work on a lot of orgs besides Wwe.
Will Brooks beat Ross Pearson so he had talent, but lost three in a row. But that weight category is hard, hope he finds sucess.
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Return to “Super Dojo”