Liu Hailong

MMA, BJJ, & The Martial Arts
Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Liu Hailong

Postby Edge Guerrero » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:56 pm

Liu Hailong (Chinese: 柳海龙, pinyin: Liǔ Hǎilóng, born May 30, 1981 in Shandong Province) is a Chinese Sanshou kickboxer. Liu's rise to fame came in 2000 in the inaugural King of Sanda tournament. Liu not only won his weight class, but went on to win a grueling one-night open weight round robin tournament against much bigger fighters as well, giving him the title Sanda "King of Kings". Exciting and charismatic, Liu is almost certainly China's most recognized combat athlete.

In 2003, Liu faced a fellow King of Sanda in Yuan Yubao in the promotion's first "superfight", defeating him soundly by decision to earn the title of "Super King of Sanda".

At the Sanshou World Championships in Macau, Liu faced Muslim Salihov in a competition and beat him on points to win the 80 kg division gold medal. Salihov is a highly accomplished Russian Sanshou fighter who would later become a King of Sanda himself. Some fight observers believe Salihov won the closely contested match.[1][2]

In December 2003, Liu scored a unanimous decision over Eduardo Fujihara to claim the IKF Sanshou World Championship. Other Chinese fighters who participated in that event include Bao Li Gao.

At the World Sanda Kings tournament in 2003 there was a challenge issued by well-known American Sanshou fighter Cung Le to Liu Hailong for a ``superfight`` to decide who was the best in the world. However the highly anticipated matchup never materialized between the two sides.

After an injury in 2005, Liu retired from the sport. In 2009, he made a comeback facing and KOing Japanese fighter Iga Koji

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liu_Hailong

- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:58 pm

A legend of his era. Sanda has changed a lot since then. Wrestling scores less now and its more about striking.

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:21 am

Luigi wrote:A legend of his era. Sanda has changed a lot since then. Wrestling scores less now and its more about striking.

- How you think Cung Le would fare with those rules?
He was more of a kicker and wrestler!
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:27 am

Edge Guerrero wrote:
Luigi wrote:A legend of his era. Sanda has changed a lot since then. Wrestling scores less now and its more about striking.

- How you think Cung Le would fare with those rules?
He was more of a kicker and wrestler!

What made Le so great was that he grew up in America and had a wrestling background but also trained Sanda from a young age, so was able to perfectly synthesize the two. The modern scoring would disadvantage him I think.

Return to “Super Dojo”