Bellator MMA to stage Gegard Mousasi vs. Rory MacDonald superfight in September

MMA, BJJ, & The Martial Arts
Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Bellator MMA to stage Gegard Mousasi vs. Rory MacDonald superfight in September

Postby Edge Guerrero » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:59 pm

Bellator’s welterweight and middleweight champions will reportedly fight on September 29th

By Mookie Alexander @mookiealexander Jun 21, 2018

Quite possibly the most skilled matchup in Bellator MMA history is going to happen this fall.

ESPN’s Ariel Helwani reports that the promotion will soon announce a champ vs. champ superfight between Gegard Mousasi and Rory MacDonald for September 29th in San Jose, California. Mousasi, the reigning middleweight titleholder, will put his belt on the line against the current welterweight king.

Mousasi (44-6-2) signed with Bellator last year after the UFC did not re-sign him in free agency. While he left the UFC on an absolute tear and on the cusp of a middleweight title shot, his Bellator debut was rather underwhelming, when he scraped by Alexander Shlemenko by decision. In his title fight against Rafael Carvalho at Bellator 200, Mousasi looked outstanding, winning by first-round TKO to become Bellator’s newest 185-pound champion.

MacDonald (20-4) won the Bellator welterweight title with a gutsy decision win over Douglas Lima in January. He’s best known for his epic rematch with then-champion Robbie Lawler at UFC 189, losing by fifth-round TKO after going up three rounds to one on the judges’ scorecards. Following a loss to Stephen Thompson, MacDonald also entered free agency and went to Bellator MMA. His debut was a dominant second-round submission vs. Paul Daley, which earned him a title shot.

Rory initially said he wanted to defend his title before going up to 185 to face Mousasi, but then had a change of heart last month. If he prevails, he’ll become the first two-division champion in Bellator history.

In addition to Mousasi vs. McDonald, this unnamed Bellator event is also expected to feature a fourth bout between Wanderlei Silva and Quinton Jackson. A press conference will be held on July 26th with further details.

Source: https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/6/21/17489498/report-bellator-mma-gegard-mousasi-vs-rory-macdonald-superfight-september
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:04 pm

This is actually a great fight on paper,
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:15 pm

Canuckster wrote:This is actually a great fight on paper,

Yeah interesting to see the picks. Some folks on Twitter pointing out how Mousasi has beaten heavyweights and that Rory has no chance.

I can't agree, Rory always looked like the harder fighter to me. Will be a great fight!

Would you really call it a 'Superfight' though?

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:50 pm

Sounds like a fun card.

The thing with Rory is, I like him but I feel like I could like him so much more if he just got a bit more hyped. You can see in his face offs and fighting that he has a mountain of intensity, energy and confidence, but he doesn't really show it in interviews. He wouldn't even have to be adversarial about it. Imagine if at the end of an interview he just yelled "I AM THE RED KING!" -it was be so cool, people would get so hyped.

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:20 pm

It's a superfight for bellator, the closest thing they have imo
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:59 pm

- I think its a great fight. ON paper like you guys said. Rory is a very good fighter. So is Mousasi. I think it will depend on what gameplan Mousasi brings to the fight and if he can impose his will on Rory. Mousasi is very durable, but he has had so many wars.
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:19 am

Very winnable fight for Mousasi if he fights smart. Stay on the back leg, kick from a distance, when Rory closes the distance be weary of the takedown and use his size to stop it. Rory will have to be resourceful.

Return to “Super Dojo”