Eddie Alvarez signs with ONE Championship

MMA, BJJ, & The Martial Arts
Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Eddie Alvarez signs with ONE Championship

Postby Edge Guerrero » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:15 pm

Former UFC and Bellator lightweight champion Eddie Alvarez is headed to ONE Championship.

By Nick Baldwin @NickBaldwinMMA Oct 16, 2018

Former UFC lightweight champion Eddie Alvarez is headed to Asian promotion ONE Championship after a stint in free agency. ONE Championship CEO Chatri Sityodtong announced Alvarez’s signing late Monday night on Twitter. MMA Brasil first reported Alvarez was in talks with ONE last month.

“Please join me in welcoming Eddie Alvarez to @ONEChampionship!” Sityodtong wrote. “I am super excited for our fans to witness Eddie’s high octane, explosive dynamite KO style.”

Sityodtong’s post also included a video from Alvarez, who provided his initial reaction to signing with ONE.

“This couldn’t have went any smoother,” Alvarez said. “It didn’t take too long. Everybody’s happy. And I’m super excited.”

Alvarez is coming off an eight-fight stint in the UFC, highlighted by his title win against Rafael dos Anjos in 2016. Alvarez made his Octagon debut against Donald Cerrone in 2014, losing by decision. Two consecutive wins earned him a crack at the title, and Alvarez stopped dos Anjos with strikes in the first round. He lost the title to Conor McGregor in his next fight.

Alvarez is coming off a TKO loss to Dustin Poirier in a highly-anticipated rematch in July. That was the last fight on his contract. “The Underground King” went 4-3, 1 NC in the UFC.

Before his time in the UFC, Alvarez fought for Bellator, where he also reigned over its 155-pound division. He holds wins in the promotion against Michael Chandler, Patricky Freire, Shinya Aoki, Pat Curran, and Roger Huerta. After a stint of inactivity due to injuries, he vacated the lightweight title to sign with the UFC.

Alvarez is the only fighter to win titles in both the UFC and Bellator.

Source: https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/10/16/17982254/former-ufc-bellator-lightweight-champion-eddie-alvarez-signs-one-championship-contract-mma-news
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Return to “Super Dojo”