Tough to watch a fighter lose sometimes

MMA, BJJ, & The Martial Arts
Joe Mama

Tough to watch a fighter lose sometimes

Postby Joe Mama » Sat May 11, 2019 3:51 am

One thing I have gained in this business, is an appreciation for the dedication and sacrifice it takes to be a combat sports fighter. I've announced countless names who have faded into the sunset, and others that have kept on grinding and made a name for themselves. Most every one of them holds a special place (even if I don't 'remember' them right off hand). Moreso are the fighters whom I have cajoled with outside of the cage, trained with, or maintain contact with as I watch them live up to the potential that so many of us have seen them work towards.

One of which is Damon 'The Bull' Minor. I watched this kid DOMINATE the amateur circuit and crush everyone placed in front of him. A longtime (ammy) champion, fighter of the year and fight of the year candidate/winner, I always knew that he was destined for a successful pro career after being a part of 10 of his 12 amateur bouts and countless interviews. Amassing a 5-1 record as a pro, he appeared to be on the fast track to the UFC. Until last night...

Island Fights 56 pitted him up against a fellow up and comer (albeit the 'sacrificial lamb) Javanis Ross.
With a less than impressive 3-2 record, Ross came into the fight with no fear. In fact he had made mention that everyone before him was afraid to face 'The Bull' (and for good reason) Damon was a smashing machine. His only loss on the amateur circuit was at the hands of (fellow pro fighter who I hated to see lose) Mitch 'The Smashin Frog' Aguiar (that story later)
As a pro, he went 3-0 before he was slated to compete on the same stage that I had announced him countless times before. 2 cancelled fighters later, he lost his first pro bout by split decision. He then went on to win his next 2 fights - one of which was more than just a victory for him, as he beat the guy who beat my former muay thai coach (and fellow FOTY and HOF fighter for the org I represent) The Bull train was steaming full bore, and seemed unstoppable.

Start the fight that would change everything. A well placed jab by Ross, and an attempted shot by Minor that led to a lightning fast and beautifully placed knee that had Minor asleep before he hit the canvas. A shot or two before the ref stepped in and it was all over. All in all, it only took :09 seconds for that fight from start to KO. A tough one to witness needless to say...
To make matters worse, hearing him on the stool afterwords saying "Bruh, I don't even remember coming out to fight" in frustration to his coaches just made my heart hurt for him.

I know that in :09 seconds many lessons were learned, and I know that this is not the last time that I will see Damon competing. But damn if that didn't sting to see him not only lose, but lose in such brutal fashion.

I guess thats a part of what makes me love this sport and what I do. Whether Ive roared your name a million times before, or you are the debuting fighter looking to test yourself - A part of me is shared with you. (Even if I don't remember who you are after) Its in that moment, that we are brothers, and I truly believe you are the baddest motherfucker on that side of the cage.

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Sat May 11, 2019 3:02 pm

- I always get that weird sentiment when watching a old wrestling match, mma fight etc. That a really talented guy career didnt pans out.
Same with movies. The martial arts ones are tought!

Acotr Ian Jacklin is one that i only learned what happened to him when i got internet in 2008!

- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Sat May 11, 2019 3:12 pm

Joe Mama wrote:One thing I have gained in this business, is an appreciation for the dedication and sacrifice it takes to be a combat sports fighter. I've announced countless names who have faded into the sunset, and others that have kept on grinding and made a name for themselves. Most every one of them holds a special place (even if I don't 'remember' them right off hand). Moreso are the fighters whom I have cajoled with outside of the cage, trained with, or maintain contact with as I watch them live up to the potential that so many of us have seen them work towards.

One of which is Damon 'The Bull' Minor. I watched this kid DOMINATE the amateur circuit and crush everyone placed in front of him. A longtime (ammy) champion, fighter of the year and fight of the year candidate/winner, I always knew that he was destined for a successful pro career after being a part of 10 of his 12 amateur bouts and countless interviews. Amassing a 5-1 record as a pro, he appeared to be on the fast track to the UFC. Until last night...

Island Fights 56 pitted him up against a fellow up and comer (albeit the 'sacrificial lamb) Javanis Ross.
With a less than impressive 3-2 record, Ross came into the fight with no fear. In fact he had made mention that everyone before him was afraid to face 'The Bull' (and for good reason) Damon was a smashing machine. His only loss on the amateur circuit was at the hands of (fellow pro fighter who I hated to see lose) Mitch 'The Smashin Frog' Aguiar (that story later)
As a pro, he went 3-0 before he was slated to compete on the same stage that I had announced him countless times before. 2 cancelled fighters later, he lost his first pro bout by split decision. He then went on to win his next 2 fights - one of which was more than just a victory for him, as he beat the guy who beat my former muay thai coach (and fellow FOTY and HOF fighter for the org I represent) The Bull train was steaming full bore, and seemed unstoppable.

Start the fight that would change everything. A well placed jab by Ross, and an attempted shot by Minor that led to a lightning fast and beautifully placed knee that had Minor asleep before he hit the canvas. A shot or two before the ref stepped in and it was all over. All in all, it only took :09 seconds for that fight from start to KO. A tough one to witness needless to say...
To make matters worse, hearing him on the stool afterwords saying "Bruh, I don't even remember coming out to fight" in frustration to his coaches just made my heart hurt for him.

I know that in :09 seconds many lessons were learned, and I know that this is not the last time that I will see Damon competing. But damn if that didn't sting to see him not only lose, but lose in such brutal fashion.

I guess thats a part of what makes me love this sport and what I do. Whether Ive roared your name a million times before, or you are the debuting fighter looking to test yourself - A part of me is shared with you. (Even if I don't remember who you are after) Its in that moment, that we are brothers, and I truly believe you are the baddest motherfucker on that side of the cage.

- So i guess you dont go to the mma foruns of sherdog much?
Its really sad to read guys bashing or personal friends or man-crushs withou anyideia of what theyre talking about.

Joe Mama

Postby Joe Mama » Sat May 11, 2019 6:48 pm

Nah, I stopped going to SD a long while back. Too many shitbag trolls and well, it just lost its lustre.

Are they seriously bashing Damon over this loss? Wow, the armchair fan who has never stepped on the mat will never cease to amaze me.

:09 seconds, or three, five, 5 minute rounds - the sheer amount of preparation and sacrifice to even make that walk to begin with is something that people can't understand unless they have been there.

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Sat May 11, 2019 7:39 pm

Joe Mama wrote:Nah, I stopped going to SD a long while back. Too many shitbag trolls and well, it just lost its lustre.

Are they seriously bashing Damon over this loss? Wow, the armchair fan who has never stepped on the mat will never cease to amaze me.

:09 seconds, or three, five, 5 minute rounds - the sheer amount of preparation and sacrifice to even make that walk to begin with is something that people can't understand unless they have been there.

- No. I just used a example. Theres was a thread a couple of weeks ago that asked whats was the fight with wekeast skill-set and they said Demian Maia, Wand Silva. Wand was a good striker. Guys just need to look at his resume.

Joe Mama

Postby Joe Mama » Sat May 11, 2019 9:22 pm

Edge Guerrero wrote:
Joe Mama wrote:Nah, I stopped going to SD a long while back. Too many shitbag trolls and well, it just lost its lustre.

- No. I just used a example. Theres was a thread a couple of weeks ago that asked whats was the fight with wekeast skill-set and they said Demian Maia, Wand Silva. Wand was a good striker. Guys just need to look at his resume.

This.

Win lose or draw, (with maybe only 1-2 exceptions at best) I have the utmost respect for someone who steps onto that mat to test themselves.
Armchair coaches and fairweather fans can take their asses back to WWE where its all scripted. There are no guarantees in the fight game, but hard work beats talent all day. Combine hard work with talent and its a winning combination - but never a guarantee.

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Sun May 12, 2019 12:27 am

Joe Mama wrote:
Edge Guerrero wrote:

This.

Win lose or draw, (with maybe only 1-2 exceptions at best) I have the utmost respect for someone who steps onto that mat to test themselves.
Armchair coaches and fairweather fans can take their asses back to NBA where its all scripted. There are no guarantees in the fight game, but hard work beats talent all day. Combine hard work with talent and its a winning combination - but never a guarantee.

- Fixed!

Return to “Super Dojo”