Jones: Jan Blachowicz ‘very deserving’ of title shot after serving Corey Anderson a slice of ‘humble pie’

MMA, BJJ, & The Martial Arts
Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Jones: Jan Blachowicz ‘very deserving’ of title shot after serving Corey Anderson a slice of ‘humble pie’

Postby Edge Guerrero » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:30 am

By Damon Martin @DamonMartin Feb 16, 2020

Jon Jones may have his next opponent lined up.

On Saturday night, Jan Blachowicz notched his third win in a row with a stunning first round knockout against Corey Anderson in the main event at UFC Fight Night from Rio Rancho, N.M.

The victory moved Blachowicz to 7-1 in his past eight fights with his only loss coming to former title contender Thiago Santos. During that run, the Polish contender has avenged losses to Anderson and Jimi Manuwa while also knocking out former UFC champion Luke Rockhold along the way.

Following his knockout against Anderson, Blachowicz immediately pointed at Jones sitting cage side as he motioned for a title shot against the reigning light heavyweight champion.

Jones definitely acknowledged Blachowicz afterwards, although he couldn’t help himself when given a chance to take a shot at Anderson following some fiery exchanges between them in interviews and over social media in recent months.

“It was an awesome fight,” Jones said backstage when speaking to reporters after the event. “I thought Jan Blachowicz did a hell of a job. His boxing looks great. Corey Anderson seemed slow tonight. Something wasn’t clicking in there. He seemed slower, more hesitant on his takedowns.

“Honestly, I think he was more worried about fighting me than fighting Jan Blachowicz and it showed a valuable lesson what happens when you look past opponents. I think Corey Anderson tasted humble pie tonight.”

As far as Blachowicz goes, Jones definitely believes the 36-year-old veteran has proven himself as a legitimate contender for the title.

“I think everyone knows the winner of that fight [was] in title contention,” Jones said. “To finish the fight the way he did, first round knockout, I don’t see how the guy can be denied.

“Jan’s been looking great. The way he knocked out Luke Rockhold. The way he just knocked out Corey Anderson. I mean both of those guys aren’t really known for being able to take a punch but he’s pulling the trigger and he’s landing those big shots. I think he’s very deserving.”

For all the ways Blachowicz may have cemented himself as a future title contender, Jones hasn’t forgotten about Dominick Reyes just yet.

Reyes pushed Jones to the limit in their five-round battle at UFC 247 but came up short at the end of a judges’ decision. Since that time, Reyes vehemently declared himself the real winner in that fight while calling for Jones to accept an immediate rematch against him.

Jones isn’t opposed to the idea but he definitely doesn’t understand the supposed controversy surrounding the scorecards in his first fight with Reyes.

“It’s something I definitely consider,” Jones said about facing Reyes again. “In order for a Dominick Reyes rematch to happen, it’s going to take just a few meetings with the UFC just to make that happen. But if we don’t rematch, I’m fine with that, too.

“I feel like I won the fight. I definitely won round 3, 4 and 5. A lot of people were giving the [judge] a lot of slack that said I won [rounds] 2, 3, 4 and 5. I could see how he could give me 2, 3, 4, and 5 but [winning rounds] 3, 4 and 5, I stand by. I feel good about the fight. At the end of the day, my job is just to go out there and fight. I can’t control what the judges see or what they say but I do think they made the right call.”

Source: https://www.mmafighting.com/2020/2/16/21139929/jon-jones-jan-blachowicz-very-deserving-title-shot-after-serving-corey-anderson-slice-of-humble-pie
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Return to “Super Dojo”