Dustin Poirier vs. Dan Hooker expected to headline UFC San Diego

MMA, BJJ, & The Martial Arts
Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Dustin Poirier vs. Dan Hooker expected to headline UFC San Diego

Postby Edge Guerrero » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:16 pm

By Damon Martin @DamonMartin Mar 10, 2020

A Twitter exchange between Dustin Poirier and Dan Hooker has led to the lightweights being paired up for a five-round fight that is expected to headline the UFC’s return to San Diego on May 16.

Multiple sources close to the contest confirmed the news to MMA Fighting with verbal agreements in place from the fighters. No bout agreements have been signed at this time and nothing is official until the UFC confirms the matchup. MMAJunkie initially reported the matchup.

Following his win over Paul Felder at UFC Auckland in February, Hooker immediately began searching for another top ranked opponent in the division, who would put him that much closer to a title shot.

Poirier’s name ended up at the top of the list as the former interim lightweight champion is looking to make his return to action after hip surgery kept him sidelined since his last fight in September 2019.

Hooker is currently riding a three-fight win streak with a 7-1 record over his past eight fights with his only loss coming to Edson Barboza in 2018.

As for Poirier, he will seek to return to the win column after falling to UFC lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov last year. That fight stopped Poirier’s impressive run where he went undefeated for six straight fights including wins over Max Holloway, Eddie Alvarez and Justin Gaethje.

Poirier has been anxiously awaiting his chance to fight after healing up from his hip surgery and now it appears he’ll get a main event slot against Hooker in his return this May.

Source: https://www.mmafighting.com/2020/3/10/21161410/dustin-poirier-vs-dan-hooker-expected-to-headline-ufc-san-diego
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Return to “Super Dojo”