Revisiting Diaz vs Gomi

MMA, BJJ, & The Martial Arts
Joe Mama

Revisiting Diaz vs Gomi

Postby Joe Mama » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:56 pm

Here recently Bellator MMA did a 'throwback' to a gogoplata sub on their social media platforms.

I then replied with Diaz v. Gomi > All other Gogo's because it wasn't supposed to happen, and Diaz was raped of his victory because he beat their golden boy.

Of course, people start coming out of the woodwork and defending the decisions of the commission because "His levels were so high" and "There is no way he could have withstood that level of pain without blazing beforehand"

Look - Ill be the first to admit (as a former cannabis connoisseur) your senses were dulled to a degree. However, so were my reaction times my logic and well - shit still hurt when I got hurt. I might have 'cared a little less' but damn if shit still fucking hurt.

Ive always been a proponent of cannabis and its medicinal purposes. Ive always been a proponent of its 'less harmful' components.
But in no way shape or form have I EVER thought of it as 'performance enhancing' or a 'good idea' to indulge in when taking on a large task (like a professional MMA fight against a top 5 fighter at the time)

Did Diaz blaze before the fight? Maybe... Did it enhance his pain tolerance? Fuck no... Did it enhance his abilities and gift him the win? Nope...

And for those following along at home - A GCMS test would have been the factor to determine the PPM of THC molecules in his piss. And even that would not have been conclusive. Unless they gave him a BLOOD TEST before the fight, the actives in his system would be an 'educated guess' at best.

I still call #politics on this bullshit.

What say ye?

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:42 pm

Hey Joe Mama! Great to see you here again

cool post! lol I am a huge fan of MMA tales and nostalgia, especially now with this COVID crap there are no fights, I've been going down memory lane too. Uncle Mega posted a full PRIDE event recently with 2020 commentary from some online geek, it was great. It's been a while but in the past sometimes when buried in long work projects I will just start throwing in my PRIDE dvds in order and taking myself back in time.

The Gomi Diaz fight for sure was one of those moments. I even drew a picture of it back in the day to etch it in my mind's History lol:

Yes much controversy over that match and ruling. Was it a No Contest in the end? Or was it an L for Diaz? I can't remember I only remember he got robbed of the W on a spectacular finish.

However the more I learn, the more it seems that a LARGE % of PRIDE fights were indeed works, they were building characters and storylines much like pro wrestling, but with a good handful of real matches so as to create a different kind of illusion. In this light I wonder if they were trying perhaps to create a character out of Diaz, try to capitalize on his persona, weed smoking 209 gangsta etc. Gomi was their posterboy, did they honestly think Diaz was not a dangerous fight? Was it a classic setup for a rematch?

In the end it's too bad that for whatever reason Diaz did not become a bigger star in Japan. That would have been great fun. Why did his presence disappear after that? Maybe they learned that he was difficult to work with, did not show up for press etc.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:51 pm

I do think cannabis can be a mild performance enhancing drug for some.

Not physically, but mentally; I do think it puts some people in the 'zone'. I know a brown belt who is a really amazing grappler, super creative he's like an artist out there playing and exploring ideas on the mats and I know 100% he is high for every minute he has spent on the mat. His whole evolution of jiu jitsu was built in that state of mind. If he were to compete without a toke before a match, I wonder if his brain would feel out of place and wouldn't be able to flow the same because its in an unfamiliar state.

Of course this wouldn't take long to correct but I have also felt differences when I smoke before training or not. For sure been days where I will hit it before class and come in just feeling great and the jitz is flowing way better, more creative. Now I mostly train sober because I find I have more energy and can move a bit faster, but then again I'm not a Triathalete like the Diaz bros and would be curious as to how it affects an athlete in top physical condition.

If cannabis is a PED it is only psychological, and not a significant difference.

Just curious, is it currently illegal if a fighter wants to take a shot of whiskey before a match??

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:23 pm

- This motorfucker hitme with some hadoukens!
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:30 pm

Joe Mama wrote:Here recently Bellator MMA did a 'throwback' to a gogoplata sub on their social media platforms.

I then replied with Diaz v. Gomi > All other Gogo's because it wasn't supposed to happen, and Diaz was raped of his victory because he beat their golden boy.

Of course, people start coming out of the woodwork and defending the decisions of the commission because "His levels were so high" and "There is no way he could have withstood that level of pain without blazing beforehand"

Look - Ill be the first to admit (as a former cannabis connoisseur) your senses were dulled to a degree. However, so were my reaction times my logic and well - shit still hurt when I got hurt. I might have 'cared a little less' but damn if shit still fucking hurt.

Ive always been a proponent of cannabis and its medicinal purposes. Ive always been a proponent of its 'less harmful' components.
But in no way shape or form have I EVER thought of it as 'performance enhancing' or a 'good idea' to indulge in when taking on a large task (like a professional MMA fight against a top 5 fighter at the time)

Did Diaz blaze before the fight? Maybe... Did it enhance his pain tolerance? Fuck no... Did it enhance his abilities and gift him the win? Nope...

And for those following along at home - A GCMS test would have been the factor to determine the PPM of THC molecules in his piss. And even that would not have been conclusive. Unless they gave him a BLOOD TEST before the fight, the actives in his system would be an 'educated guess' at best.

I still call #politics on this bullshit.

What say ye?

- If i remember he used a pretty high concentrention to dull his pain tolerance. But is used as a mascaring agent.
But to be fair to him, he would still get a hight damage going in a fight with Gomi. Dude was a mini-Vovchachin!
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:47 pm

Just re-watched
holy frikkin man that is an exciting fight.

Return to “Super Dojo”