Karate tournament from the 80's

MMA, BJJ, & The Martial Arts
Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Karate tournament from the 80's

Postby Edge Guerrero » Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:02 pm

- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Lester Burnham

Postby Lester Burnham » Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:03 pm

I remember 80's karate tournaments. I actually participated in a few. It was weird. I was a boxer that was doing karate at the time also. When I participated in a Tai Kwon Do karate tournament I used all of my skill including a left hook to the body. I got flagged for that and I didn't score a point. The ref said it wasn't a Tai Kwon Do technique and therefore wasn't valid. WAT?! :shock:

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:09 pm

Lester Burnham wrote:I remember 80's karate tournaments. I actually participated in a few. It was weird. I was a boxer that was doing karate at the time also. When I participated in a Tai Kwon Do karate tournament I used all of my skill including a left hook to the body. I got flagged for that and I didn't score a point. The ref said it wasn't a Tai Kwon Do technique and therefore wasn't valid. WAT?! :shock:

- Taekwondo ITF doesn't accept hooks to the body or the face, only straight punches.
I posted this vídeo because the guys level was so hight for being 40 years ago.

Lester Burnham

Postby Lester Burnham » Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:39 am

I believe that Karate was at a high level back then because it was all that many guy learned. The ground game wasn't featured then and guys could focus on just stand up fighting.

Of course back then you had a lot of odd things at tournaments. I remember one black belt that would hammer nails into a board with his back fist and then his forehead. He would bleed from his head after hammering the nail but it made for great entertainment.

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:41 pm

Lester Burnham wrote:I believe that Karate was at a high level back then because it was all that many guy learned. The ground game wasn't featured then and guys could focus on just stand up fighting.

Of course back then you had a lot of odd things at tournaments. I remember one black belt that would hammer nails into a board with his back fist and then his forehead. He would bleed from his head after hammering the nail but it made for great entertainment.

- The competition level is even higher today,but the guys in the video didn't look so far behind. If we compare with mma, tha the level was really low at the 90's,guys with feel excepetion didn't knew how to kick or punch.

Return to “Super Dojo”