Crimes of the British Empire thread

Politics, History, & 'Conspiracy'
Luigi

Crimes of the British Empire thread

Postby Luigi » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:21 am

Invasions, mass murder, torture, rape, power, money. These are the ways of the age of empires, and the British mastered the game they entered. It was that way in prehistoric tribal warfare, it was the way in the ancient world(British were tame compared to Assyrians), it was the way in the medieval world(British were tame compared to Mongols), it was the way in the early modern period. Only today do we have universal human rights that at least try to protect people from these things. To give the Brits their dues, we would probably have had to wait another few hundred years to achieve this if not for them.

I think its a shame that wealth and power drove monarchs to merciless greed. They were perfect candidates to be benevolent dictators, the Caesars of our age, but they threw it all away for personal gain. TBH I like the idea of using the family as an image and stripping them of power. It seemed weird and archaic to me at first, but since I started watching MT it always amazes me to see the love of the royal and the patriotism they inspire in Thailand.

We should have the potential to have the same here, but alas we dont think of the glory anymore, we think of the murders that made it all happen, viewed through our modern lens. I for one am proud of the many great innovations with which the British improved the world, and the great bravery with which they fought, sailed, trekked, and achieved greatness!

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:47 pm

I thought there would be more to be honest, maybe not a concise list but you get the idea. Good tweet.

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:16 pm

You're going to need a bigger thread
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Ethan Allen

Postby Ethan Allen » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:46 pm

In the 1300s in Ireland, it was a felony to kill a Brit but it was not a felony to kill an Irish. This policy was later seen in Australia with the abos.

Benwahwah

Postby Benwahwah » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:46 am

What's going on in here?

Alfredo

Postby Alfredo » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:10 am

Better the English got to them than most other Empires (Spanish/Portuguese etc.) There's still Abos, Kenyans, Indians, Indonesians around and living quite comfortably. I don't see any Incas or Aztecs around...

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:38 pm

Benwahwah wrote:What's going on in here?

Your monarchy is going to take a kick to the pissflaps in here, that's what.
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:55 pm

I've Skyped with Big Ben, he has as British an accent as you could possibly imagine :D

It's absolutely charming the way he says 'Super Calo' lolol

You might like our Winston Churchill thread :D I am collecting more atrocities and horrific quotes from that evil bastard, will add soon

Vutulaki

Postby Vutulaki » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:44 am

So much wrong information here and without historical context.

First lets get the indentured labourer thing out of the way for obvious reasons. This system came about then the british outlawed slavery and at great cost fought it on the high seas.

Anywhoo if they were to remain a global power they needed cheap labour (like we do, EG the devices were using now are built by slave labour), so they created this system as a claw down from slavery. In each and every country indentured labourers were sent they today enjoy a much better standard of living than in India, in fact in Fiji once their 5 contracts were up the Brits offer to repatriate as per the terms of the contract. The Indians loled at them and stayed.

Enough about that ive got to do some work now but lets have a think about what the world was like back when the British ruled it, compare their wrong doings with other colonisers. Therein lays your answer.

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:54 am

Vutulaki wrote:So much wrong information here and without historical context.

First lets get the indentured labourer thing out of the way for obvious reasons. This system came about then the british outlawed slavery and at great cost fought it on the high seas.

Anywhoo if they were to remain a global power they needed cheap labour (like we do, EG the devices were using now are built by slave labour), so they created this system as a claw down from slavery. In each and every country indentured labourers were sent they today enjoy a much better standard of living than in India, in fact in Fiji once their 5 contracts were up the Brits offer to repatriate as per the terms of the contract. The Indians loled at them and stayed.

Enough about that ive got to do some work now but lets have a think about what the world was like back when the British ruled it, compare their wrong doings with other colonisers. Therein lays your answer.

Return to “The Grand Chessboard”