A white christmas

Politics, History, & 'Conspiracy'
Canuckster

A white christmas

Postby Canuckster » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:39 pm

So I sat down and watched a white Christmas with my wife last night. And I thought I would open up a discussion.

Firstly:

Why is this movie considered a classic. It was shit. It was probably one of the finest American pieces of military propaganda I've ever seen.

Did I mention I took a tab of lsd before watching it?

Well, that didn't help matters much.

Seriously if you think this is a good movie you can go die in a fire
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Ethan Allen

Postby Ethan Allen » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:14 pm

I haven't seen it, but I would guess it is considered a classic due to it being one of the 3 Christmas movies that played on the 2 available tv channels in the 50s. Lack of competition is surely a factor. The generation that watched it every year on CBS or NBC considered it a classic, and the mantra gets repeated by the plebs from subsequent generations.

Kind of like dupes that repeat the "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" mantra. Edward Bernays paid a handful of doctors to make this claim 70 years ago so that the meat packing industry would sell more bacon and sausage.

Plebs don't question mantras.

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:48 pm

Don't forget your 8 glasses of water a day
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

penxv

Postby penxv » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:17 am

Ethan Allen wrote:I haven't seen it, but I would guess it is considered a classic due to it being one of the 3 Christmas movies that played on the 2 available tv channels in the 50s. Lack of competition is surely a factor. The generation that watched it every year on CBS or NBC considered it a classic, and the mantra gets repeated by the plebs from subsequent generations.

Kind of like dupes that repeat the "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" mantra. Edward Bernays paid a handful of doctors to make this claim 70 years ago so that the meat packing industry would sell more bacon and sausage.

Bernays was a piece of shit but bacon is pretty great, imo.

Redneck

Postby Redneck » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:31 am

Maybe there was also some racial conditioning in that movie.

"White Christmas - 1954"

It was a good 10 years before the civil rights movement reared it's head.

The Anti-Archon

Postby The Anti-Archon » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:07 am

Never saw it. Maybe it's a classic because of Bing Fucking Crosby.

Winnson

Postby Winnson » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:07 pm

Ethan Allen wrote:I haven't seen it, but I would guess it is considered a classic due to it being one of the 3 Christmas movies that played on the 2 available tv channels in the 50s. Lack of competition is surely a factor. The generation that watched it every year on CBS or NBC considered it a classic, and the mantra gets repeated by the plebs from subsequent generations.

When I was a kid, it was essential that everyone get at least 10 hours sleep per night, then they wanted people to work more, so shifted it to 8, now we're moving more towards 6 is ok.

I'm glad we have these wonderful people looking out for us! 4 out of 5 doctors agree!

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:33 pm

Also there's this utterly bizarre scene that has no place in this movie at all. I'll leave the possible meanings up for everyone to try and digest.

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:33 pm

And the main characters dress up in drag in one scene as well,

Redneck

Postby Redneck » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:00 am

Winnson wrote:

When I was a kid, it was essential that everyone get at least 10 hours sleep per night, then they wanted people to work more, so shifted it to 8, now we're moving more towards 6 is ok.

I'm glad we have these wonderful people looking out for us! 4 out of 5 doctors agree!

I remember hearing that every hour of sleep you get before midnite is worth two hours of sleep after midnite. Obviously encouraging people to rest up for their corporate slavery the following day. I think another reason they backed off on this was because of the money that could be made by letting the plebs sit up watching commercials until late at night. So instead, they gave us coffee, sugar, energy drinks, and amphetamines to make sure we'd put in our 8 hours at the cotton field.

Return to “The Grand Chessboard”