The Fermi Paradox.

Politics, History, & 'Conspiracy'
SRBrant

The Fermi Paradox.

Postby SRBrant » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:44 am

This is the Fermi Paradox:

>There are billions of stars and even more stars in the Milky Way.
>Many of these stars are much older than our own planet.
>Human civilization is barely a nanosecond on a universal timescale.
>It is a mathematical certainty that intelligent life in the galaxy is very common.
>Even at our own level of technology, life would easily spread itself across the cosmos.

Which leaves one question:

WHERE IS EVERYBODY?!

This is arguably one of the scariest things in the world of astronomy. There are a few terrifying theories about this. One is that they purposely ignore us and choose not to interfere. Another is that there's something out there scary enough to warrant hiding their entire existence. But the scariest one is easily the idea of civilizations wiping each other out to safeguard their own existence. Not out of conquest, not out of hatred, but out of the simple fact that there's only so many resources in the universe and you'll never know if everyone else really does want you dead.

shankara

Postby shankara » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:14 pm

Because what civilization would be interested in contacting such barbarians as us until we raise our level of culture? So far as I understand, interplanetary travel is reserved to civilizations who (spiritually, culturally) merit it and such cases as ourselves are confined like a virus so we don't infect the rest of the cosmos.

shankara

Postby shankara » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:24 pm

I guess we're like the cosmic equivalent of the Sentinelese...

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:12 pm

That assumes that a civilization would always survive. I saw a stat on the average lifespan of a species and its not that long. I cant remember the exact figure, but it wouldn't be too surprising if we got wiped out by a disease, volcano, meteorite, nuclear war, etc. tomorrow.

penxv

Postby penxv » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:16 pm

I bet the aliens use nukes to power all sorts of shit. It's like humanity needs to evolve spiritually to a place where we have full trust and confidence in our brethren and their ability to handle and use nuclear devices without fucking it all up.

Not an easy place to get to.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:49 am

SRBrant wrote:This is the Fermi Paradox:

>There are billions of stars and even more stars in the Milky Way.
>Many of these stars are much older than our own planet.
>Human civilization is barely a nanosecond on a universal timescale.
>It is a mathematical certainty that intelligent life in the galaxy is very common.
>Even at our own level of technology, life would easily spread itself across the cosmos.

Which leaves one question:

WHERE IS EVERYBODY?!

This is arguably one of the scariest things in the world of astronomy. There are a few terrifying theories about this. One is that they purposely ignore us and choose not to interfere. Another is that there's something out there scary enough to warrant hiding their entire existence. But the scariest one is easily the idea of civilizations wiping each other out to safeguard their own existence. Not out of conquest, not out of hatred, but out of the simple fact that there's only so many resources in the universe and you'll never know if everyone else really does want you dead.

This is exactly how I feel about this forum, lol :D

But seriously, have some thoughts on the matter, will post tomorrow. Thanks SR. Also good to see Shankara around again, I've PMd with him a bit, he's way more interesting than you folks may guess.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:22 pm

Good thread!

It may seem like a tired/old question but it is a significant one nonetheless, puts our entire existence into a freaky perspective!

Some thoughts;

1. I find it audacious that we think that our pitiful telescopes and tinfoil space junk is really enough to determine whether a planet way the fuck out there has life or not. They keep telling us its dead so far no signs of life but I find this crazy to claim when all we have is some specks of light and some obscure infra red data or whatever. Jupiter and Saturn could have all kinds of life on it and how would we really know from our vantage?

2. Science makes this weird assumption that life can only exist on earth-like conditions. So they X off everything else, concluding no life no life no life, its all dead space and useless matter. I suspect that 'life' (ie; consciousness, intelligence, societes etc) could exist in MANY forms, under many temperatures, in many atmospheres, in many different frequencies of form. Looking for life the way modern science seems to be looking is like concluding there is no life in the ocean because humans can't breathe underwater. Who knows maybe the planets and stars themselves are sentient beings somehow and we just don't get it. ie; Alien life may be non-physical. Theories that they may exist on some different frequency or even on a spiritual plane to me are perfectly sensible possibilities.

3. There is TONS of UFO sightings/reports/events, testimony of abductions etc to get lost in. I don't buy into much of it, but imo there is too much to deny all of it. When considering the sheer amount of footage and classified shit etc it suddenly doesn't seem so impossible that perhaps there are already aliens all over earth and have been forever.

4. Not entirely convinced that earth/the universe is exactly the way modern science has deduced. They have constructed such a purely physical material model of everything, via a method that completely ignores and incapable of measuring anything else. I think the possibility that where we are and what is out on space might be far less physical than that, perhaps it starts to morph into the realms of dreams and metaphysical shit. Very likely we are still very limited in our perceptions and interpretations of what our puny tech is showing us.

5. I think its funny how we speculate that maybe contact is only made for those who deserve it or are ready, Star Trek for example has a Prime Directive where they don't reveal themselves to any life until they are ready. Yet we send our spacejunk out there and rovers on Mars (if you believe) without a second thought

6. I can totally imagine a scenario where governments/elites are concealing this from us. The MSM is such a lying brainwashing mindfuck, and NASA also imo a total smokescreen for something. Cases of government/military coverups of such stuff is plentiful, in many countries.

penxv

Postby penxv » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:06 pm

The ufo sightings could be explained as deep state air force projects and not necessarily lies.

Rambo John J

Postby Rambo John J » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:21 pm

interesting
good thread
good posts

SRBrant

Postby SRBrant » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:06 am

The scariest possibility is known as the "Berserker Hypothesis." Which theorizes that the reason why we haven't found alien life is because something is hunting them and killing them off. The best way to do this, according to science, is to make self-replicating nanobots, devour a planet, use its matter to make more nanobots and then move on to annihilate the next civilization. A similar scenario is the plot of the Dead Space trilogy of video games.

Sleep tight!

Return to “The Grand Chessboard”